Why become a member? ×

What's your most surreal moment in music?

ashevans09

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='646743' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:55 PM']My daughter and her best friend bringing home their boyfriends a couple of years ago.

It turned out her best friend was going out with Austin Dickinson, who's a dead ringer for his dad, my ex-flatmate Bruce Dickinson. Seeing as I haven't seen Bruce since the day he joined Iron Maiden, this was one of the weirder encounters in my life.[/quote]

have you noticed that your member number 333. half the number of the beast.

my moment was being stoned watching Doomriders playing in my local and feeling like i'm immersed in sound because they were so loud.

My old band had been in negotiations with Warners for a deal, having signed a publishing deal with Polygram. We were playing Food Records birthday party at the Islington Powerhaus supporting Blur.
First surreal moment.
We had just come off stage and were having a post gig smoke, Alex James comes over to me and asks if he could have a go on my pipe, I offer said pipe and away he chuggs. We go out to see Blur play and Alexs legs look a little bit bendy. Into their second song, he marches off the front of the stage and decks himself flat on the face, fair play to the man, he dusts himself off and carries on like nothing has happened, all be it not playing anything remotely in time and tune.
Second surreal moment on the same night.
We are back stage at the end of the night and we see our guitarist trying to remove an old unshaven guy in a raincoat out of our room, to the total horror of myself and our singer, we realise that said guitarist is only trying to f*** off head of Sire Records Seymour Stein out of the room, thinking that he is some sort of old dosser. He had flown over from Ney York to see us, luckily, he later signed us and thought the evening was a laugh.

A few years ago while playing along the route of the London Marathon, about 23 miles in, a runner stopped. Politely said "excuse me" and took the mic from our singer mid- I feel good, sang a whole verse and chorus, pretty much note perfectly, handed the mic back and carrried on running.

Mine was last week! Only slightly musically related!

Sitting in Abu Dhabi in a friend's Mum's work friend's flat with a friend of her's in a room where about 5 or 6 people would be sleeping when they got back from going out, talking to Baz (my friend who I went to abu dhabi with) and the said first friend offers us ticket's to friday's FORMULA 1 free practise in the grandstand.

Fast forward 24 hours and I use the same ticket to get in (for free, remember) to the huge ferrari building to see jamiroquai play live at the 3rd row out of about 8,000-10,000 people. Absolutely surreal.

Oh, and another one!
My cousin is a professional bassist (Carl Stanbridge anyone?) and he was playing at a wedding for another one of my cousins, and I hear that he's playing superstition which I had just recently learnt. He then lets me play it with the wedding band. p[retty neat, until i find out that the drummer is Girls aloud's drummer and all the musicians are absolutely AMAZING. And there I am rolling out a phat Eb pretending it wasn't my first ever live performance!

[quote name='iamapirate' post='647769' date='Nov 6 2009, 11:18 PM']Oh, and another one!
My cousin is a professional bassist (Carl Stanbridge anyone?) and he was playing at a wedding for another one of my cousins, and I hear that he's playing superstition which I had just recently learnt. He then lets me play it with the wedding band. p[retty neat, until i find out that the drummer is Girls aloud's drummer and all the musicians are absolutely AMAZING. And there I am rolling out a phat Eb pretending it wasn't my first ever live performance![/quote]

i liked that one

First up, sitting at a big old farmhouse table at Bishopstock chewing the fat with Steve Cropper, Donald Duck Dunn and Booker T thinking "I'm the only one here I haven't heard of" when the stakes are raised even higher by Taj Mahal coming in and joining us. The other one was nearly calling security to get Mike McCartney removed from backstage at a John Mayall gig in Liverpool - soon realised that it wouldn't have gone down well with the home crowd!

I think my most surreal moment is having got on stage at a festival gig, ready to go on, viewing the world through spiral eyes after much local cider & stuff, sound checked my vibes and k'bang...wrong band.....oops....we were on in another hour and i realised this was not my band...needless to say their bassist had the fear and the rest of the band egged me to stay on...i knew that was the moment i needed a lot of water or something to sober oneself and go hide myself, change my appearance, repent etc etc!

[quote name='robdeadstereo' post='647577' date='Nov 6 2009, 07:54 PM']i played a gig last april and had a bunch of girls who i had never met or even seen before wildly screaming my name.... it was most odd[/quote]

I went to a gig last April dressed as a girl and screamed at the Bass Player.... :rolleyes:

Hi mate, didn't know you were on here! :)

My most surreal moment was one night when I was walking home from a gig, suddenly, the sky turned bright green, and these giant ladybirds dressed as pantomime dames came running out of a side street, shouting "bananas, bananas" in Greek, while playing football with watermelons, and waving red and white striped chocolate flags with a picture of my face on them.

That was pretty surreal.