Why become a member? ×

Euphonic Audio iAmp Micro 550, or other lightweight head...

funkle

Hi all,

I'm looking for a lightweight head to shlep to gigs for use with my (4 ohm) Acme B2.

I'm looking at picking up an (8 ohm) Acme B1 in the future, and I'll be travelling to the US soon, so I'm looking for something international-voltage compatible. Rules out Markbass stuff from the start, sadly. I tried a LMII out and liked it well enough (a little 'coloured' for me, but nice amp), seemed to have enough welly (500W) for the Acme B2. Can't imagine needing more volume!

I've researched a lot of heads on this forum and on Talkbass, and although there's a lot of choice (Eden WTX500, GK MB[sup]2[/sup]500, Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0, TC RH450, Markbass LM2/3/F1/F500, TecAmp Puma 500, Carvin BX500) it looks to me that the EA iAmp Micro 550 is a pretty good match to my needs.

I've ruled out the TC and TecAmp on basis of cost, Eden based on reports of poor power output, Markbass on non-compatibility across international voltages, and Genz-Benz on the tube preamp (it doesn't appear to me to be switchable out). The Carvin looks interesting (and inexpensive), but had a run of poor reliability models at the start, although from what I'm reading it appears to have been ironed out.

Anyone have any experience with the iAmp Micro 550? Does it truly cough up the power required to drive an Acme? Or perhaps someone else has had experiences with the Carvin BX500 they could share?

Pete

Edited by funkle

I should have added - my 'reference' rig is a racked Peavey Max Bass Preamp (using solid state channel most of the time, everything flat) running into a Peavey DPC1400X power amp. I only need one channel (700W into 4 ohms) for the Acme B2, and I'm careful with my levels :-)

I was going to get a 2nd gen Micro, but the skinny on Talkbass is that it's not really [i]that[/i] loud, so I passed...

IIRC the B2 is pretty power hungry so must love your DPC!

Not really sure what to suggest beyond that I'm afraid. Maybe an [url="http://www.epifani.com/products/PS_1000BA.php"]Epifani Performance 1000[/url]; is 16lbs too heavy?

Yep, I'm starting to wonder the same thing about the 2nd gen micros, so....

The DPC is great. Inexpensive (secondhand), lots of headroom, and the fun factor of people looking a bit surprised when you say your power amp is capable of up to 1400 watts. Not that I've needed that much power, ever, thankfully....

The Epi looks nice, but I was hoping for something a teeny bit more portable.

I started a thread on Talkbass essentially copying this one, and have had a few other responses to think about - Acoustic Image came up as another contender.

I'm still wondering about the Carvin BX500 too. A lot of features for not a lot of dosh.

mmmm.....

[quote name='walbassist' post='645743' date='Nov 4 2009, 09:39 PM']Ah yes, AI heads are great; small and full of clean power.[/quote]

Ah-ha! You have some experience? The Talkbass forums are largely positive, but a lot of them talk about how 'dark' it sounds compared to the EA. Not quite what I was hoping for, although it's mostly double bass players who talk about it.

But there's a nice looking high pass filter on many of them which could be extremely useful with the Acme....

Edited by funkle

[quote name='walbassist' post='645672' date='Nov 4 2009, 08:31 PM']I was going to get a 2nd gen Micro, but the skinny on Talkbass is that it's not really [i]that[/i] loud, so I passed...[/quote]

I've been considering the Micro too and was going to skip it for the same reason, but am now reconsidering after finding this on a site that sells EA gear:

"Rather than have all the volume in the first turn of the knob, EA uses potentiometers that are more linear. This means you may actually have to turn the master volume all the way up to the 3 o'clock position when things get really, really loud. This gives you a more realistic measure of how much power you are using. Most other amp manufacturers (and think stereos, car radios, etc.) use a taper that puts all the volume up front. This is to impress unsuspecting customers trying gear in stores. "Wow, listen to how loud it is, and it's only on 2? ," he says, and thinks to himself, ”This thing must get really loud!!”

Nope, they're just fooling with you. It pretty much stops getting louder around 5, and then only gets more distorted. EA thinks it's better to use the entire volume control. You'll otherwise never actually attain the mythic eleven.

Is this an EA Exclusive?? We're not sure, but we think others should follow their example. Euphonic Audio says respect your customers, don't try to fool them. "

I have a Barefaced Compact, which is pretty sensitive, so I'm tempted to give the Micro a try. Acmes, on the other hand, are, as walbassist says, reknown for sucking up the power, but there's really only one way to find out if the combination works...
:)

[quote name='JonnyM' post='645834' date='Nov 4 2009, 11:18 PM']I've been considering the Micro too and was going to skip it for the same reason, but am now reconsidering after finding this on a site that sells EA gear:

"Rather than have all the volume in the first turn of the knob, EA uses potentiometers that are more linear. This means you may actually have to turn the master volume all the way up to the 3 o'clock position when things get really, really loud. This gives you a more realistic measure of how much power you are using. Most other amp manufacturers (and think stereos, car radios, etc.) use a taper that puts all the volume up front. This is to impress unsuspecting customers trying gear in stores. "Wow, listen to how loud it is, and it's only on 2? ," he says, and thinks to himself, ”This thing must get really loud!!”

Nope, they're just fooling with you. It pretty much stops getting louder around 5, and then only gets more distorted. EA thinks it's better to use the entire volume control. You'll otherwise never actually attain the mythic eleven.

Is this an EA Exclusive?? We're not sure, but we think others should follow their example. Euphonic Audio says respect your customers, don't try to fool them. "

I have a Barefaced Compact, which is pretty sensitive, so I'm tempted to give the Micro a try. Acmes, on the other hand, are, as walbassist says, reknown for sucking up the power, but there's really only one way to find out if the combination works...
:)[/quote]

I'd run into that quote too, but in the thread I posted over in Talkbass, someone else has mentioned that, even in spite of taking this into account, the EA's appear to be less loud. I wonder whether it could be because the tone is very uncoloured. Nonetheless, this person felt, that into an Acme B2, his Markbass F1 was louder, even accounting for the settings of the volume controls. His words were to the effect that the EA Micro maxed out = Markbass F1 at 75%. Although I don't know if he formally checked this with an SPL meter.

As you say though, there's only one way to ultimately find out...

I'm going to see if I can get an AI Focus/Clarus and an EA iAmp Micro 550 in the same room as my Acme B2. I hope I don't have to buy both of them!

[quote name='zero9' post='645833' date='Nov 4 2009, 11:15 PM']I'm waiting for my AI Clarus head to be delivered. I've been using an AI Coda R combo.
The AI combo makes my bass sound like my bass, without colouration.

The Clarus head is also small & light.

Good luck with your search.

Wil[/quote]

Thanks for that. Reassuring information! Let us know what you think of the Clarus head when you get it - what cabinet are you going to be using it with?

I've used the EA 500 (older bigger amp) for a couple of years, and a AI Clarus for two years.

I would say that the issue about the taper with EA volume controls seems true - you really do have to turn them up more than any other amp I've used, and the sound is better when you get used to it. On most other amps I run the input gain around half way..with the EA its usually more like three quarters up and theres still plenty of "headroom" for louder transients. The same applies to the output, although I rarely need to go above half way for my gigs.

The AI is a fantastic amp and very powerful for its size (rated at 400w into 4ohms) - but its not a loud amp in the traditional sense. Also the preamp is very honest and the eq minimal. I can use it (with EA cabs) happily with active basses, but a passive bass needs extra outboard eq to shine. I'm not heavy handed with eq...but I find the AI preamp a bit minimal.

A lot depends on how loud you need to be...but I can use either happily for most of my work (pubs, clubs, theatres etc) with DI support when needed.

[quote name='funkle' post='645952' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:13 AM']I'd run into that quote too, but in the thread I posted over in Talkbass, someone else has mentioned that, even in spite of taking this into account, the EA's appear to be less loud. I wonder whether it could be because the tone is very uncoloured. Nonetheless, this person felt, that into an Acme B2, his Markbass F1 was louder, even accounting for the settings of the volume controls. His words were to the effect that the EA Micro maxed out = Markbass F1 at 75%. Although I don't know if he formally checked this with an SPL meter.

As you say though, there's only one way to ultimately find out...

I'm going to see if I can get an AI Focus/Clarus and an EA iAmp Micro 550 in the same room as my Acme B2. I hope I don't have to buy both of them![/quote]

It also comes down to what's loud enough for you in the real world ie your gigs, recording sessions etc. as opposed to just testing how loud various amps can go, at levels you'll never use. I for one have never come close to 75% of maximum with my LMII in a gig, more like 25%...maybe 38% :rolleyes: . Since all my gigs have good monitors and full PA support, I get asked politely to turn down unless I'm on a big stage where a bit more oomph is needed.

Another option I've considered is the Gallien Kruger MB2 500, but they seem very unreliable and it's hit-and-miss as to whether you get a good one- there's a massive Talkbass thread on the subject :) The AI gear does look great, if kinda pricey.

Edited by JonnyM

I leant one of my old Acme Low-B2s to PhilW in London when he was waiting for his Epi UL-112 to turn up, and he powered it with an AI Focus S1 (the old shape). Seemed to work very well for him but he's quite jazz oriented (that was all fretless Wal). The UL-112 went no louder despite being an easier load (8 ohm vs 4, so the amp has to deliver less current, and more sensitive), and wasn't as fat in the lows.

Alex

I also tried out my Clarus into a Barefaced compact. It worked very well, the "voicing" of the cab brought out the best of the amp, and its was a powerful focussed sound. A fender jazz sounded fantastic with no extra eq - that doesn't happen with my usual EA cabs.

I've not tried any Acme cabs but I have seen the TB discussions over their thirst for power, so I suspect the Clarus would sound great but may struggle to produce real volume? The Focus version is the same size/weight, so I'd try and audition one of those?

I'd love the try the EA or Clarus with a Barefaced Midget T....one day!

You're not keen on the non-defeatable nature of the G-B Shuttle 6's valve preamp? why is that, just out of interest? I am overjoyed with the sound of mine, it's simply brilliant.

[quote name='funkle' post='645952' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:13 AM']I'm going to see if I can get an AI Focus/Clarus and an EA iAmp Micro 550 in the same room as my Acme B2. I hope I don't have to buy both of them![/quote]
Honestly, I would recommend including a Shuttle in that shoot-out.
And if you do manage to get them all together, make sure you give us a full report! :)

My markbass combo has an internal jumper to switch between american/european voltages. Opening it is really easy and fast, you only need an allen wrench. Considering the LMII head and the combo head have identical specs and electronics, I wouldn't rule out Markbass...

There are several jumpers there inside, I remember another one to switch the DI XLR output between pre or post. Surely you can find pics and info if you google for it, I saw it all a few months ago.

It is easy enough to "uncolor" it if you wish so, the 4 band EQ and the 2 filters working together deliver a surprisingly powerful shaping tool. It is small, light and gives you enough headroom with 500w. Im biased, of course, but obviously I love mine.

My gosh, a stream of replies.

In order, then:

Bassbod - Thanks for the tips on considering extra EQ with an AI and its 'relative power'.

JonnyM - I checked out the megathreads on the GK MB[sup]2[/sup]500 as well, but it looks like a dog in terms of reliability. When they hit revision 4 or 5, I think I stopped reading. And good point about real-world requirements. I'm heavily jazz oriented, generally don't need to worry about loud drummers.

Rich - I like tubes well enough, but I also like being able to take them out of the signal. I generally don't use the tube channel built into the Peavey MaxBass I've got. I generally prefer the solid state sound. Heresy, I guess.

Fraktal - if what you say about Markbass heads holds true, I'm definitely interested. I liked the LM2 I played through a couple of nights ago, and the thought of picking up an F1/LM2 secondhand and being able to use it internationally is really good news. I'll do some googling.

Thanks for all the input gents. Ultimately I guess I'll just have to cough up and try some out. But I'm leaning towards Markbass, as long as I can find that info...

[quote name='funkle' post='645953' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:14 AM']Thanks for that. Reassuring information! Let us know what you think of the Clarus head when you get it - what cabinet are you going to be using it with?[/quote]

I'll be using 2 phil jones B4's. I've used the B4's already with the AI Coda combo and these sounded great. Very clean sound.

I agree that the EQ is minimal on the AI, but that's what I like. I want the natural sound of the bass as much as possible. There is always the option of adding an outboard EQ to the effects send/return if required.

I'll let you know what I think once I get the Clarus.

Cheers,

Wil

[quote name='Fraktal' post='646159' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:21 PM']My markbass combo has an internal jumper to switch between american/european voltages. Opening it is really easy and fast, you only need an allen wrench. Considering the LMII head and the combo head have identical specs and electronics, I wouldn't rule out Markbass...

There are several jumpers there inside, I remember another one to switch the DI XLR output between pre or post. Surely you can find pics and info if you google for it, I saw it all a few months ago...[/quote]

...And a loud bang will be the last sound your Markbass amp will ever make... :)

Fireworks provided by Markbass :rolleyes:

Seriously though, there is a way of doing this, but IIRC it's a fiddly job and involves soldering. It also involves invalidating the warranty... Amps by other manufacturers either change automatically or have a switch somewhere that does the job.

Edited by JonnyM

Just for everyone's information.

I had also posted my original question over on Talkbass. I have had quite a few responses over there, and thought it might be useful to everyone here to see some of the thoughts from there too.

Here is the link: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595904"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595904[/url]

Pete

• 1 month later...

[quote name='funkle' post='648563' date='Nov 8 2009, 09:31 AM']Just for everyone's information.

I had also posted my original question over on Talkbass. I have had quite a few responses over there, and thought it might be useful to everyone here to see some of the thoughts from there too.

Here is the link: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595904"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595904[/url]

Pete[/quote]

Pete, a bit late to this thread, but I'm really happy with my F500 into my ACME, and would definitely recommend the F1 ro F500. It's the best sounding amp/cab combo I've used.

However i think it's a bit rubbish how Mark Bass don't do dual voltages. A lot of the smaller heads of other brands offer this, and given that portability is a massive selling point on these heads, I think it's nuts that Mark Bass don't offer it (especially at their relatively higher prices). I can only think that it makes it easier for them to control a flood of cheaper imports from the US into Europe. e.g. $800 in Guitar Centre - roughly £500 at the moment, compared to £750 at GAK. Even once you've added US sales tax at around 8% you could still pick up a bargain over there - as long as you didn't then have the hassle of converting the voltage!! But of course, there's no conspiracy.

cheers
G

[quote name='Gwilym' post='681766' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:18 PM']Pete, a bit late to this thread, but I'm really happy with my F500 into my ACME, and would definitely recommend the F1 ro F500. It's the best sounding amp/cab combo I've used.

However i think it's a bit rubbish how Mark Bass don't do dual voltages. A lot of the smaller heads of other brands offer this, and given that portability is a massive selling point on these heads, I think it's nuts that Mark Bass don't offer it (especially at their relatively higher prices). I can only think that it makes it easier for them to control a flood of cheaper imports from the US into Europe. e.g. $800 in Guitar Centre - roughly £500 at the moment, compared to £750 at GAK. Even once you've added US sales tax at around 8% you could still pick up a bargain over there - as long as you didn't then have the hassle of converting the voltage!! But of course, there's no conspiracy.

cheers
G[/quote]

Thanks mate. I'm seriously tempted by a F1 or F500, but the voltage thing is an annoyance. I suspect the same as you to - purely a 'market segregation' thing. Especially annoying when I see the new GB Shuttle 9.0 - bags of power, many good reports, etc. I'm still not sure about the valve pre in it, but if it's clean enough it sounds like a winner.

I'm going to try a couple of heads once I'm in the US in Jan. MB are up there, but we'll have to see how it all turns out...

[quote name='funkle' post='681919' date='Dec 12 2009, 08:20 AM']Thanks mate. I'm seriously tempted by a F1 or F500, but the voltage thing is an annoyance. I suspect the same as you to - purely a 'market segregation' thing. Especially annoying when I see the new GB Shuttle 9.0 - bags of power, many good reports, etc. I'm still not sure about the valve pre in it, but if it's clean enough it sounds like a winner.

I'm going to try a couple of heads once I'm in the US in Jan. MB are up there, but we'll have to see how it all turns out...[/quote]
I thought Markbass were similar to EA's micro in that there is an internal jumper to change mains voltage....for some reason they don't want the general public doing this. My iamp micro 550 is simple to change, but you have to remove the top cover to do it. In terms of power, the 550 does not seem to be a "loud" 550 watts. Having said that, it does work beautifully ay full volume. I find the tone section to be poor for bass guitar and am considering getting a Tone Hammer, this I hope will help. My main amp is a Tecamp pumu 1000 which I'm really liking.....much better than the EA iamp 800 it replaced, probably because the preamp offers a much more usable tone adjustment for me. I could never get a good "round" bottom end on the iamp, it just boomed more. You should try the tecamp stuff before making your final decision.
Iain H

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' post='682992' date='Dec 13 2009, 01:49 PM']I thought Markbass were similar to EA's micro in that there is an internal jumper to change mains voltage....for some reason they don't want the general public doing this. My iamp micro 550 is simple to change, but you have to remove the top cover to do it. In terms of power, the 550 does not seem to be a "loud" 550 watts. Having said that, it does work beautifully ay full volume. I find the tone section to be poor for bass guitar and am considering getting a Tone Hammer, this I hope will help. My main amp is a Tecamp pumu 1000 which I'm really liking.....much better than the EA iamp 800 it replaced, probably because the preamp offers a much more usable tone adjustment for me. I could never get a good "round" bottom end on the iamp, it just boomed more. You should try the tecamp stuff before making your final decision.
Iain H[/quote]

I'd love to try TecAmp stuff out. It's just so darned expensive!

Pete

• 1 month later...

Thread update.

I bought a TC RH450 over here in Florida. Tried it out with a Markbass cab over at the Players School of Music today, sounds ok, but I must admit I don't really like the Markbass cabinets, even with the Markbass heads. The amp is very nice, lots of features, great EQ, plenty of power, and power supply works internationally. Picked it up for $700.

Will try it out with a friend's Eden 4x10 this weekend, and with my own 2x10 when I get back home.