Why become a member? ×

Bunker Bass

beerdragon

[quote name='hubrad' post='642696' date='Nov 1 2009, 06:41 PM']Why would anyone bother to put the tuners at the bottom and still put a head at the top?[/quote]

There's holes on the back, for through body stringing? Also the headstock looks like it's had a piece of wood glued over it.

Looke like it might have originally been a normal bass, poorly converted to it's current state leaving the through body string anchors redundant?

Either way, it's butt ugly and i don't want it!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='642824' date='Nov 1 2009, 08:56 PM']There's holes on the back, for through body stringing? Also the headstock looks like it's had a piece of wood glued over it.

Looke like it might have originally been a normal bass, poorly converted to it's current state leaving the through body string anchors redundant?

Either way, it's butt ugly and i don't want it![/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.

That's not a conversion. Look at the back of the paddle, there's no holes in it.

Let me explain it all.

The dummy headstock is because it uses conventional strings, which don't have very short overwindings like the untuner end of double ball strings. If you look at the strings as they come from the headstock, if they were anchored at the neck end instead of a little way away from it, there would be overwinding on the string between the nut and the first fret. The wooden bit on the end allows a Fender-type bent tin string retainer rather than some immensely solid metal extension.

The plate on the back with the four holes is a more difficult one to explain, but looking at how narrow those bridge elements are, I think that the holes are for getting through to height adjusters.

Et viola, not a conversion but an innovative piece of construction, only let down by the fact that it's hideous.