Why become a member? ×

Most fun job in the world. House bass, open mic night.

leschirons

If you ever get the chance to do this, do it. It's great fun, highs and lows for sure and a bit of danger depending on who you're playing for. There are always a few who have a strange idea on how a song goes but that's half the fun and in light of recent events, I needed a bit of light relief.

Tonight, I got to play,

Bucket
Use somebody
Highway to hell
Shoot to thrill
Hotel California
Help the poor
Baby please don't go
Red house
Crossroads
Sunday with the flu
Come together
Reality (80's euro ballad)
and the highlight of the evening, Manhatten by Eric Johnson

What great mix of songs. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Even turned me on to the the Kings of Leon to be honest.

I go to jams regularly and sometimes get to stay up to play bass for the other jammers...
Challenging for sure .. Some stuff I know well and other stuff (Blink 192 seems to be popular) I've never heard of and the jammers give no clues, not even a name or key sometimes ..

It's fine if i can hear myself AND the person singing/playing lead .... however at a few of the jams I go to the person running the sound doesn't understand that .. Then it's tricky...

I do like it though, the challenge is exciting :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='641627' date='Oct 31 2009, 03:54 AM']Whoever suggests Red House at a jam should have a finger chopped off!![/quote]

Blues is huge here (unfortunately) and that one comes up at least once every time. As usual, it was a guitarist's turn up on stage and his big opportunity to endlessly widdle and strut. However, as I always have to sing it, I tend to cut in with a verse when I get bored with them being too self indulgent. Get's me a few evil looks but who cares.

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='641631' date='Oct 31 2009, 04:03 AM']I think the KoL are fab but I know thats not a popular view on here! :)

Glad you had a good night! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well, it's more popular now (although only by one) Never been a fan and to be honest, just dismissed them as a fad really but after doing those two last night I'll give it all a listen and not be too hasty in me old age in future.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='641679' date='Oct 31 2009, 10:19 AM']thats yet another reason not to do jam nights - I think I only know 4 of those songs ![/quote]

I do have an advantage in so much as there is a website and people tend to contact me or the drummer via e-mail a couple of days before if they want to do something not too mainstream (for here) which was the case with the two KoL numbers and an 80's ballad thingy so if I'm lucky, I'll get a chance to have a listen on You Tube.

[quote name='leschirons' post='641773' date='Oct 31 2009, 11:28 AM']I do have an advantage in so much as there is a website and people tend to contact me or the drummer via e-mail a couple of days before if they want to do something not too mainstream (for here) which was the case with the two KoL numbers and an 80's ballad thingy so if I'm lucky, I'll get a chance to have a listen on You Tube.[/quote]

awwwww That's cheating :)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='642005' date='Oct 31 2009, 05:58 PM']I go to a Jam night with the intention of playing new material, trouble is those who attend do the same old rubbish each time, mind one week we did some Zappa!
Impressed you played with the flu mind.....[/quote]

Y
Thanks, it's a really nice easy going tune that. Love it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='641918' date='Oct 31 2009, 04:03 PM']awwwww That's cheating :)[/quote]

Gimme a break, it was only the two Kings of Leon numbers this gig. I'm nearly 60. They're a bunch of school kids compared to my age.

Nailed Manhatten and the Robben Ford stuff though but only because I have all the albums and love that stuff anyway.

Got round the Yodelice number as it seems to have been on the radio here a lot.

All the rest was old dross really but still fun to play with different musos each time.

[quote name='leschirons' post='642150' date='Oct 31 2009, 08:42 PM']Gimme a break, it was only the two Kings of Leon numbers this gig. I'm nearly 60. They're a bunch of school kids compared to my age.

Nailed Manhatten and the Robben Ford stuff though but only because I have all the albums and love that stuff anyway.

Got round the Yodelice number as it seems to have been on the radio here a lot.

All the rest was old dross really but still fun to play with different musos each time.[/quote]

Oh I'm just envious that you get some warning. I just get some kid start playing something and I have to guess what it is and where it's going, without be ing able to hear teh chords or vocals clearly :) ..
Die on my @rs3 some times ...

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='642005' date='Oct 31 2009, 05:58 PM']I go to a Jam night with the intention of playing new material, trouble is those who attend do the same old rubbish each time, mind one week we did some Zappa!
Impressed you played with the flu mind.....[/quote]

Some Zappa, wow, that's some jam night. Which numbers?

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='642279' date='Nov 1 2009, 02:29 AM']'Oh, you just died on your arse tonight, it must have been something you said' fa la la la la etc

Cutting Crew :rolleyes: No? :)[/quote]

Spot on, it was Cutting Crew. ( in a quiet voice) I actually quite like that song. I'll get me coat.

[quote name='leschirons' post='642319' date='Nov 1 2009, 09:06 AM']Spot on, it was Cutting Crew. ( in a quiet voice) I actually quite like that song. I'll get me coat.[/quote]

Me too, now if anyone would sing that at a jam ....

I'll trade you 10 Hey Joe's for one Died on my @rse tonight ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='642354' date='Nov 1 2009, 11:05 AM']Me too, now if anyone would sing that at a jam ....

I'll trade you 10 Hey Joe's for one Died on my @rse tonight ...[/quote]

Only 10? although I must say I seem to have had a holiday from Hey Joe for a couple of months now. Over here, it's the equivalent of Mustang Sally.

Most memorable moment I've had at the open mic night was some French guy doing Albert Lee's Country boy. The guy was absolutely superb and nailed it guitar and vocal wise. However, he's not been back since. Probably earning fortunes somewhere, unlike me.