Why become a member? ×

Jap Basses

bubinga5

I bought my Jap '75 Jazz from www.fareastguitars.co.uk, but looking on his site, it seems like he's struggling to get stock at the moment.

I've also been looking here recently: www.mijfenders.com, and www.guitaremporium.co.uk always crops up a lot on here.

Hope this helps

Mark.

[quote name='Mike' post='69129' date='Oct 3 2007, 04:33 PM']I'm always a little uncomfortable with the word "Jap" - perhaps just exclusively using CIJ or MIJ or even "japanese" might be more appropriate?[/quote]

Oh come on, don't be rediculous........'Jap' is just short for Japanese! Are you also uncomfortable about using the word 'Brit'? Or how about 'Aussie?'

[quote name='Mike' post='69129' date='Oct 3 2007, 04:33 PM']I'm always a little uncomfortable with the word "Jap" - perhaps just exclusively using CIJ or MIJ or even "japanese" might be more appropriate?[/quote]

It's a standard language abbreviation (like Eng for English, or ITA for Italian). Don't read something into it that's not there :)

Mark.

I think that’s more of an American thing left over from the war. I never knew about it till I was there and said "Jap Strat" and everyone looked at me like I'd dropped the N-Bomb. It's not the same as Brit; it's more equivalent to the shortening of Pakistani, or I guess “Nip” short for Nippon.

Personally, I aint offended by it, but the more you know…

[quote name='odub' post='69148' date='Oct 3 2007, 04:50 PM']I think that’s more of an American thing left over from the war. I never knew about it till I was there and said "Jap Strat" and everyone looked at me like I'd dropped the N-Bomb. It's not the same as Brit; it's more equivalent to the shortening of Pakistani, or I guess “Nip” short for Nippon.

Personally, I aint offended by it, but the more you know…[/quote]

Anyway, no offense intended by anyone on this thread, so maybe we should return to helping bubinga5 find a made in Japan (日本 Nihon or Nippon, officially 日本国 Nippon-koku or "Nihon-koku") bass.

Mark.

Edited by tredders

I take it, for the purposes of this thread, when we say "Jap bass" what we mean is Japanese [b]Fender[/b] bass?

Only askin' like, from the perspective that the interesting Japanese basses are the ones that [i]don't[/i] have "Fender" on them, on the whole. :)

Jon.