Why become a member? ×

a strange thing happened tonight

Ou7shined

Aha! I've figured out what this is!
That bonkers ex- lead vocalist from Creed who pissed off all his band mates by getting drunk as a skunk and actually thinking he was Jesus is looking for a new band!
He'll be lurking at the back somewhere with a camcorder. Pick the band he likes the most who can write Christian rock on semi-short notice... boot the lead singer or relegate them to rhythm guitar and backing vox... and Creed Mk 2 is born!

RUN dude RRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='RhysP' post='635339' date='Oct 24 2009, 03:20 PM']I'd feel more comfortable selling drugs to toddlers to raise £1000 than having to write some "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" horseshit.[/quote]
For a £K, I'd do it in a second. :)

I've not worried about dignity ever since I heard that sappy Deacon Blue song about that bloke's boat. ( Apologies to them as likes it).

[quote name='NickH' post='635460' date='Oct 24 2009, 05:59 PM']Aha! I've figured out what this is!
That bonkers ex- lead vocalist from Creed who pissed off all his band mates by getting drunk as a skunk and actually thinking he was Jesus is looking for a new band!
He'll be lurking at the back somewhere with a camcorder. Pick the band he likes the most who can write Christian rock on semi-short notice... boot the lead singer or relegate them to rhythm guitar and backing vox... and Creed Mk 2 is born!

RUN dude RRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Mate, Creed have reformed... The US tour finished 5 days ago and the new album is out next week..!

Guest leebass69

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='633211' date='Oct 22 2009, 09:48 AM']The bible is full of sex, violence and incest. Start with Genesis 19:30-36.

S.P.[/quote]
I guess if you start with Genesis 19:30-36, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway might fit the half 7 to just gone 25 to time frame? :)

Well we had the induction meeting yesterday (went with singer and drummer) everything panned out as per what we've gleaned about them online. We got to meet the other bands from the competition ( one of which is called Devil's Testicle :rolleyes: :lol: ) and they all seemed as equally bemused as we were. The lead organiser explained that each band were expected to bring their own gear (drums will be provided) and also said that they expected a 5 minute turnaround between songs - I piped up about the likelihood of this happening but he stood firm and that hoped we would be able to stick to the plan.

Right at the end of the "workshop" he added that on the night of the competition we will be asked to sign documentation that allows them to use all recorded/video material for promotional use.... drummer and singer turn to me and say "go on say it".... but I didn't, the smile on my face said it all.

Seeing as our band seems committed to doing this :) I will have a bloody good look over the release forms and make sure that we are just allowing them to use the material and not own the rights to it. If it turns out to be the latter I will refuse to play regardless of what the other guys think.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='636028' date='Oct 25 2009, 01:01 PM']Well we had the induction meeting yesterday (went with singer and drummer) everything panned out as per what we've gleaned about them online. We got to meet the other bands from the competition ( one of which is called Devil's Testicle :rolleyes: :lol: ) and they all seemed as equally bemused as we were. The lead organiser explained that each band were expected to bring their own gear (drums will be provided) and also said that they expected a 5 minute turnaround between songs - I piped up about the likelihood of this happening but he stood firm and that hoped we would be able to stick to the plan.

Right at the end of the "workshop" he added that on the night of the competition we will be asked to sign documentation that allows them to use all recorded/video material for promotional use.... drummer and singer turn to me and say "go on say it".... but I didn't, the smile on my face said it all.

Seeing as our band seems committed to doing this :) I will have a bloody good look over the release forms and make sure that we are just allowing them to use the material and not own the rights to it. If it turns out to be the latter I will refuse to play regardless of what the other guys think.[/quote]

Agree with your band that you will only go forward with this if you can get the documentation up front and go through it before deciding.

On the night your band's judgement will be clouded by the whole thing of carting the gear there, getting psyched up to play and the adrenaline> I'd bet if they give you just 5 miniutes between bands you'll get 2 minutes to read the contract you are signing. It will be loads more difficult to walk away once you are there.

Much better to read it through in the cold light of day.

Oh, and didn't they say the backline was supplied, so now it's just drums?

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='636037' date='Oct 25 2009, 12:13 PM']Agree with your band that you will only go forward with this if you can get the documentation up front and go through it before deciding. ... Much better to read it through in the cold light of day.[/quote]

+1 The organisers will probably have quite deliberately factored in the 'sign it in the heat of the moment' ploy. I smell brimstone.

It's really difficult, though, when one's bandmates get all revved about something like this and plough onwards to a catastrophic cluster-feck. Similar BOTB fiasco happened to me about 10 years ago when our tiny, excitable drummer signed us up without inter-band consultation.

No scam involved, but we were somewhat out of place. Four middle-aged blokes hacking out Feelgood-esque blues rock in the middle of a crowd of 14 yr old indie-poppers and their little friends. All the doting parents kept giving us sidelong glances, and I'm sure I heard the words "Kiddy-fiddler' more than once.

Hence the hasty excision of 'Good Morning Little Schoolgirl' from the set.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='636060' date='Oct 25 2009, 12:38 PM']Four middle-aged blokes hacking out Feelgood-esque blues rock in the middle of a crowd of 14 yr old indie-poppers and their little friends. All the doting parents kept giving us sidelong glances, and I'm sure I heard the words "Kiddy-fiddler' more than once.

Hence the hasty excision of 'Good Morning Little Schoolgirl' from the set.[/quote]

We had a similar thing when playing at a scout charity night. We usually do a Rory Gallagher-esque version of 'Messin with the Kid' :)

But then we started getting silly and tried to think of tunes to play - the best of which was Ides of March and 'Vehicle' - 'I'm the friendly stranger in the black sedan, won't you come inside my car'.. any more suggestions?

[quote name='Paul S' post='636139' date='Oct 25 2009, 03:24 PM']We had a similar thing when playing at a scout charity night. We usually do a Rory Gallagher-esque version of 'Messin with the Kid' :)

But then we started getting silly and tried to think of tunes to play - the best of which was Ides of March and 'Vehicle' - 'I'm the friendly stranger in the black sedan, won't you come inside my car'.. any more suggestions?[/quote]

Bit of a thread derail but...

Young Girl by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap

Kissing in the back row of the Movies - The Drifters
"Evey night I pick you up from School" I [i]suppose[/i] she could be a teacher ...

and for those BOTB where the parents are along too
"Mother's daughter" by Sanatana "Your mother ain't so bad, what happened to you?..."

Edited by OldGit