Why become a member? ×

Tascam Bass Trainer

Faithless

So, as I'm looking for a portable bass trainer, I thought, I'd give Tascam a go, but, then, as there are few versions of it (CD, or MP3)..

Is it more 'comfortable' to have MP3 trainer (which costs extra money), or you can live with CD version?

If we talk about CD versions, there are 2, I believe - is there much difference between those two?

Oh, just put your thoughts about those Tascam thingies, guys :)

Cheers,
Faith.

I've got the mp3 version and think it's great!

You can add loads of mp3's onto it split into different folders for different projects etc. Set up a playlist of tunes and put it in gig order if you like. Enhance or remove the bass from recorded tracks. Speed up and slow down stuff and change pitch etc at will.

If mine ever dies (it's decond hand off a fellow basschatter) and its looking well used now, I would definitely get another.

Tascam have a version out now that's a recorder as well. Pricey, but could be even more useful...

YMMV etc, etc.

I've got the cd Mk2 version which is the latest one. I love it and use it all the time to practice. I'm sure the mp3 is good as well. I suppose it depends on how you store and listen to your music for practicing. I have ended up burning loads of cd's with songs to play along with as my music room is separate to my living room, so the mp3 would be good if I was too upgrade.

The features are very good and I particulary like the bass cut when you play along as it's too much with the original bass track playing. The tempo change is great for progressively learning harder songs. The key change saves detuning for those occasional songs. It will also do both at the same time The loop facility has come in handy. The Eq is needed to get a good tone and some of the effects (chorus especially) are ok if you don't want to plug any pedals in. It really is an all in one bit of kit for home practice, with a tuner and a metronome as well. I use it for when I'm teaching as well. and can make cd's of songs with the bass cut and slower versions for my students. It's already paid for it's self.

Go and get one, whichever one it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the CD version for a few years and use it all the time. Though I do spend a lot of time burning mp3s to CDs in order to use the songs. I'm sure the mp3 version would cut out the middleman.

If my Tascam was to break irreparably (the lid is already held on with gaffa tape) then I would replace it with the mp3 version without hesitation. It's a great practice tool and pretty much negates the need for a home practice amp.

Just a word of warning - there are no spare parts available for the MP3 version.

I had one of these and managed to crack the screen (both the plastic cover and the LCD unit itself) - I put it in my trouser pocket and walked into a newall post.

Totally my fault, but was dissapointed that I could not buy a spare for what must be the most vunerable part of the whole thing.

Tascam did make some amends by selling me a new one at wholesale price, but it still seems a shame that spares are not available.

Does anybody out there have a MP3-BT1 that has failed for other reasons? so we could do 'cut and shunt' * job with them.

* pronounce with care!

[quote name='peted' post='643304' date='Nov 2 2009, 12:26 PM']If my Tascam was to break irreparably (the lid is already held on with gaffa tape) then I would replace it with the mp3 version without hesitation. It's a great practice tool and pretty much negates the need for a home practice amp.[/quote]

The lid on mine soon broke off and is also held on by gaffa tape (black of course). The design is a bit flimsy here considering how much use it can get. Doesn't stop it working though.