Why become a member? ×

My Celinder J Update 4!!!

BassAgent

I bought the Scarbee J Update 4 a few months ago from wombatboter, who bought it from Crazykiwi but didn't quite become good friends with it. This is also the bass that can be seen in the Basschat header!

I sent Chris Celinder an e-mail with some questions about the bass, and he sent me this message back:
[quote]Hello Hidde,

Thanks for your kind mail :-)

Yeah it seems that that bass has become somewhat of a legend. The body on the
Scarbee bass is Danish ash. Medium weight - lighter than Northern White Ash (US)
and heavier but with more heft than Southern Swamp Ash (US). The neck is hard rock
maple with the same hard rock maple fingerboard.

Pickups are Lindy Fralin Jazz, and the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp is setup with double
volume, bass (boost), treble (cut) ... or "vintage tone control" if you will. The trimmer
controls the boost level of the treble in the preamp. I am not a fan of treble boost (on
a bass), thus I always wired the OBP-1 this way so you can preset the amount of
max treble on the trimmer and then cut it from there on the front of the bass to suit
the music. The Badass bridge is from right before I designed my own bridge (with
string-thru-body-option). This bass has serial # 9804130 ....meaning it was built in
April 1998 and is bass number 130.

May you get a lot of good music from that bass :-)

Take care, bro,
Chris[/quote]
That cleared up a lot for me!

I am now using this bass on a lot of occasions, mainly with Nona (melodic pop rock music). The only thing I'm not really sure about is the colour, I'm considering having it refinished (and I would have that done at Chris' workshop).

Pics below of course :)
[attachment=34616:DSC00702.JPG]

That's a great bass and a fascinating bit of feedback from it's creator!

IIRC, I had a go on this bass at the SE Bass Bash in 2007 and it was stunning! I am a fan of black basses, so I wouldn't change it personally but if you do, I'm sure it will be equally as impressive!

Wow! What a beautiful bass, I like the Cylinders and when you get such a nice message from the creator its shows his heart is in the right place too.

The black and maple finish is wonderful and goes with anything ;-)

I am biased as I have a Jazz and a P in the same finish, I'll buy the black one of you and you can get a new one in the finish you require ;-)

Cheers,

Steve.

[quote name='BassAgent' post='629547' date='Oct 18 2009, 03:45 PM']You are right about that... It looks good like this, but I think it's rather boring and I think it would look even better with a translucent colour...[/quote]
Get Chris to make you another body then. He's got loads of them.

[quote name='BassAgent' post='629916' date='Oct 18 2009, 09:39 PM']That would cost big money...?[/quote]
No idea, but he has got a lot of them already pre made that just need finishing.

I've been thinking about doing the same to my Update J which was owned by Christian Danstrom. It's in a godawful solid red and fairly beat up but a refin would completely sterilise it. As EBS_freak sensitively suggests, its your bass now so do as you feel.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='630010' date='Oct 19 2009, 04:33 AM']No idea, but he has got a lot of them already pre made that just need finishing.

I've been thinking about doing the same to my Update J which was owned by Christian Danstrom. It's in a godawful solid red and fairly beat up but a refin would completely sterilise it. As EBS_freak sensitively suggests, its your bass now so do as you feel.[/quote]

Sensitively suggests? Jeez.

Man, it's only paint. Although I would question why anybody would buy something they didn't quite like. Colour is a pretty important thing if you are bothered by the looks of an instrument.

[quote name='Flanker2' post='630111' date='Oct 19 2009, 10:04 AM'][code]Sensitively suggests? Jeez.[/code]

I've heard you are very sensitive and also a kind person. -_-

BTW as another previous owner of the bass I would be disappointed to see it change.[/quote]

Perhaps it's all lost on me!

I think the finish contributes to the tone on Celinders. I think the thick gloss on the neck/body contributes to the punch and brightness. I wouldn't do anything to mine for being scared of killing mojo.

Mine is truly the best bass I've ever played. I also spent a long time messing with strings and the ones I like the most as the Thomastik Infeld Power Bass. I'd recommend them to and Celinder player.

[quote name='Toasted' post='630161' date='Oct 19 2009, 10:40 AM']I think the finish contributes to the tone on Celinders. I think the thick gloss on the neck/body contributes to the punch and brightness. I wouldn't do anything to mine for being scared of killing mojo.

Mine is truly the best bass I've ever played. I also spent a long time messing with strings and the ones I like the most as the Thomastik Infeld Power Bass. I'd recommend them to and Celinder player.[/quote]

Definately - although I would argue if it's being replaced with like for like paint (apart from the colour), the change in the tone is going to be negligable. I think the tone has more to do with this - [url="http://www.greengrove.dk/gp1.htm"]http://www.greengrove.dk/gp1.htm[/url]

I certainly wouldn't be looking at a refinish if I was happy with the tone and performance of the bass if it was spot on. But if I couldn't live with the colour, then I probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Having said that, if it's his bass, he's free to do what he likes with it... but if he kills the mojo... on his head be it :)

Edited by EBS_freak