Why become a member? ×

Pricing for the band to gig in Germany

xzodar

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a bit of advice really.

I've just been approached regarding the 14 piece band which I run doing a gig at a military base in Germany in December.

The agency doing the booking wants a price from me to do the gig.

Apparently they cover the ferry costs, fuel and accomodation.

I need to get 16 people (14 musicians and 2 sound guys/crew) instruments and PA/lighting rig etc to Germany and back in one piece.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the sort of ball park figure we should be looking at? To give you some kind of idea, we would normally be expecting around £1800 to £2000 for a wedding gig with anything more than an hours travel time involved.

Anyone had to quote for this kind of thing before (I'm sure that some of you have...)

Many thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Cheers

Pete

[quote name='xzodar' post='627103' date='Oct 15 2009, 05:04 PM']I need to get 16 people (14 musicians and 2 sound guys/crew) instruments and PA/lighting rig etc to Germany and back in one piece.[/quote]
:)
Good luck with that one...!
Double your normal fee I'd say - if everyone's on double bubble, they'll be happy!

The thing is, really this will be 3 days in total. A day to drive out. A day to rest after travelling and then setup and play the gig, followed by a tear down and drive home.

Personally I'd do it just beacuse it would be great experience and probably a laugh, but some people in the band would probably expect to be paid something at least for each day of their time.

Maybe I'll just put in a silly quote and see what reaction I get :-)
(Cos I'll be the poor sod who has to organise everyone)

Did I mention that there are 14 people in the band and its like trying to herd cats sometimes :)

there are various schools of thought on this, some think a days work is a days work no matter how long it takes to get there. If the expenses are covered just charge a fee and don't get into conversations about the number of days work just ensure the fee is high enough that everyones says yes and low enough so that the client doesn't feel ripped off.

Personally I'd want between 4 and 6 hundred quid. but if it was in january i'd do it for some beer and a blow job :)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='627366' date='Oct 15 2009, 09:24 PM']Personally I'd want between 4 and 6 hundred quid. but if it was in january i'd do it for some beer and a blow job :)[/quote]

Somebodys going to be tired if there are 16 peopel to deal with

[quote name='bumnote' post='627389' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:02 PM']Somebodys going to be tired if there are 16 peopel to deal with[/quote]

Reeperbahn girls come in handy - 16 no problem.
Very efficient.Hard working.Get the job done.
And dont want to marry you and send you texts.

Garry

The Germans love Brit bands. Try and get another non-base gig for a second night in the same area or somewhere on the road back. It would give you more of a flavour of the place. Call it a mini tour. :)

Where is it btw? Presumably not Too far in if you are going to drive from Bristol in a day. I used to live in Coburg.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='627366' date='Oct 15 2009, 09:24 PM']..... i'd do it for some beer and a blow job :rolleyes:[/quote]
Not a problem if it's Hamburg. :lol:

Can't help you on a price, 'cos it was a loooooong time ago that I did one of these, but it was a blast, if a very long and tiring w/e

Left Friday for the ferry, drove through the wee small hours across Europe to Rheindalen, set up, went to the hotel, got back & played, tucked in at the barbecue, tucked into the beer vouchers provided, went back to the hotel and sat in the disco/bar getting relaxed, brekkie in the morning with the rest of the crew out there for the event, then retraced our steps across Europe with half a brick on the accelerator as rudimentary cruise control :) in a van whose alternator packed up as we reached the ferry so we got back home in the middle of the night with one candle power lights and a torch out of the window when anything approached.