Why become a member? ×

Help & advise please for decent practise combo?

KiOgon

Hi & help please,
I'm only playing/practising at home so no need for big volume! I'm looking for a combo £150 max I suppose, would like something with at least 10" speaker, but want good sound quality at low volume settings, is there anything? Been looking at Hartke A35 or Orange Crush 35b, really open to offers though? The kickback style is appealing, but quality over horsepower is what I'd like.

Currently using a Peavey microbass which is starting to annoy me, lots of hiss & a nasty vibrating from the speaker, even though I know it's never been thrashed it's beginning to sound like it has!

BTW I'm playing a new Traben Neo Ltd & old Tanglewood TMO-B2.

Cheers,
John

I've an Eden Nemesis N8 which I bought for home practice but have hardly used. It was the best sounding small amp I could find but is no longer needed so I'd be willing to sell. You can come check it out if you like.

[url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/discontinued/silverseries/indiv/n8.asp"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/d...es/indiv/n8.asp[/url]

cheers

Simon

[quote name='sifi2112' post='624201' date='Oct 12 2009, 05:46 PM']I've an Eden Nemesis N8 which I bought for home practice but have hardly used. It was the best sounding small amp I could find but is no longer needed so I'd be willing to sell. You can come check it out if you like.

[url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/discontinued/silverseries/indiv/n8.asp"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/d...es/indiv/n8.asp[/url]

cheers

Simon[/quote]
Nice offer cheers Simon, but you're a long way from home!
Looks good though my old school head tells me I want bigger than a 8" speaker really to handle the low Hz's, maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks for the info so far, I'm still looking & now have a Warwick BlueCab 30 on my list of maybes, apparently weighing in at 46lb, Monster!

[quote name='Mumbles87' post='624200' date='Oct 12 2009, 05:46 PM']I'm currently using a Hartke, its quite nice. Has a good tight sound, one thing though there is a lot of hiss from the unit if you use it with headphones.[/quote]
Hi mumbles - is that the A35? Any other pros or cons?

Cheers

Yes it is the A35, erm pros wise it does sound pretty good currently running my P bass through it. The kickback function is pretty cool, how ever when stood up or kickedback it doesnt take much effort too knock it over onto its back, i now have something rattling about inside from this. The aluminium cone also gives quite a unique sound i think, so you might want to hear one in person first, i would recommend it though.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='624504' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:29 PM']Now you've got me looking at Ashdown & I think I'm in love :) with the new Ashdown five fifteen mini bass stack!
Of course it's £50 over budget but WoW.

What do the panel think?[/quote]
I hope it's a lot better than the Perfect 10 Mini-rig, at that price.

If you had 200 quid to spend you'd be far far far better off with a Roland Cube.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='624504' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:29 PM']Now you've got me looking at Ashdown & I think I'm in love :rolleyes: with the new Ashdown five fifteen mini bass stack!
Of course it's £50 over budget but WoW.

What do the panel think?
Cheers, John[/quote]

I've got a 5-15 combo and it has all the necessary for home practice and small gigs. Headphone socket & CD input. Essential for near silent home practice. For some silly reason, many "practice amps" leave out one or the other. The 5-15 mini-rig seems to be more expensive than the combo, but it's cabinet handles and amp strap make it much more portable. The 5-15 is quite heavy, lacks cabinet handles and the square shape is much more awkward to carry.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys.
I still like the look of the new Ashdown five fifteen but I'm told it's not going to be out for another month or so!
Being an impatient sort of a old bugger - I've taken the plunge & bought a 'as new' Trace Elliot Boxer 65 :) so really looking forward to getting it home.

Cheers,
John