Why become a member? ×

TRADE or SALE: 1978 Fender Precision

TheButler

• 5 months later...

Whilst i love the bass, i am still young and naive and want to continue my quest for 'that' sound. The band are doing increasingly well; we've got a UK tour in a month and an album primed for release. However, as things move along i'm hoping its now time for me to make a more personal mark upon that sound.

I've hopefully taken care of the amplification side of things, but now want to focus on the bass. The P-Bass is, as i'm sure you all know, a bit of a one-trick pony. This one is no exception. I'm not going to dupe anyone under the false pretense that this can sound like anything other than a bloody nice P-Bass, because it can't - simple as that. It does what it does blindly well. Indeed, I really do love everything about this bass, but unfortunately i'm not in the circumstances to buy more basses to fill the tonal gaps that it inevitably leaves. The perfect scenario would be to buy another bass, but i can't justify that right now due to the amount of money i am putting out for all matters of things. I would love to buy more P-basses, but only i had something else to bridge the gap between sounds. Had i never owned a Jazz before this i wouldn't be aware of what aspects i was missing, damn. Blissful ignorance would be nice right now.

Therefore, i'm looking for something with that little bit more versatility in the sound department. Something maybe P/J would make sense. I could add cash to the bass, albeit not much, and would only be looking to sell if i seen something in the classifieds that took my eye.

I should add that this was fully set-up by a guy in Edinburgh 3-4 months ago. Its due to go in again to be set-up, intonation checked, action set blah blah and have D'Addario Flatwound XL Chromes .45-.105's fitted. :)

I still like the idea of a Rick btw, thats the only thing i'd part-ex this for outwith the P/J sorta realm. :rolleyes: Fire any questions you have away and i will do my best to answer. I would also prefer anyone that is interested to do the transaction in person. I can travel mutually and will be touring the UK, as i said early, at the end of May so could make life easier.

Edited by TheButler

Okay, seen as i'm serious about this i need to really add a much better description.

So, its a 1978 I'll get more pics up ASAP. The bass is in excellent condition, the only thing making it not perfect is hair line cracks in the lacquer on the headstock. I didn't notice them when buying the bass, and they don't show very well in pictures. I'll try taking some more though, so you can all see what i mean. I have a hard case for it, not the original but it serves the purpose of a case quite well. The fretboard is clean, with just the usual signs of play, some minimal build up of crap, around the fret wire. I'll see about getting that done when i put it in for a set-up. Weight wise it's about 9lbs.

As i said, i would prefer to do any deals face-to-face.

I guess a cash price would be somewhere in the region of £1000-1100. I'm stating that so people might have a better idea regarding trades.

Edited by TheButler

Jamie, something you could consider is buying one of John East's retrofit Precision preamps (P-Retro). I've not used it so I can't be too explicit about what it will do to your sound, but if it does only 50% of what the J-Retro does to the versatility of a Jazz Bass, you would have a very versatile instrument, whilst keeping that classic P-Bass signature tone, and that lovely vintage bass.

Otherwise you could follow my bass journey

Precision to Jazz (several) to Stingray (several) to Modulus (Fleas and Sonic Hammer) to Rickenbacker to Precision!

Good luck whatever you do

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='800578' date='Apr 9 2010, 09:42 AM']Jamie, something you could consider is buying one of John East's retrofit Precision preamps (P-Retro). I've not used it so I can't be too explicit about what it will do to your sound, but if it does only 50% of what the J-Retro does to the versatility of a Jazz Bass, you would have a very versatile instrument, whilst keeping that classic P-Bass signature tone, and that lovely vintage bass.

Otherwise you could follow my bass journey

Precision to Jazz (several) to Stingray (several) to Modulus (Fleas and Sonic Hammer) to Rickenbacker to Precision!

Good luck whatever you do

Chris[/quote]

That does sound like an avenue i should explore and i must admit, hadn't considered :)

Your bass journey sounds nice - and costly - but whilst i've not been around long, i've decided that if i stray from the path of Precision it will likely only be as far as a P/J... or a Rick.

[quote name='TheButler' post='800584' date='Apr 9 2010, 09:47 AM']That does sound like an avenue i should explore and i must admit, hadn't considered :)

Your bass journey sounds nice - and costly - but whilst i've not been around long, i've decided that if i stray from the path of Precision it will likely only be as far as a P/J... or a Rick.[/quote]

PJ is a good choice, if I were you I'd PM John and have a chat about just how close to a Jazz bridge PUP tone you can get from the P-Retro. Of course, Rics look the best, but the degree to which a Ric is the best choice will depend on your style of playing and the music

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='800595' date='Apr 9 2010, 09:54 AM']PJ is a good choice, if I were you I'd PM John and have a chat about just how close to a Jazz bridge PUP tone you can get from the P-Retro. Of course, Rics look the best, but the degree to which a Ric is the best choice will depend on your style of playing and the music

C[/quote]

I've never had a Rick. I've played them, and loved the ones i played. Then i hear lots of people saying that some play like dogs, but that might just be their preference, these things are really in the eye of the beholder. Their sound would be very fitting to the music i play. The greatest post-rock band of ever, Mogwai's, Dom Aitchison makes good use of his and his sound is immense, something which i'd aspire to achieve - but with my own take on it, by not using trace gear, like him. Although, i'd maybe have to consider that i'd be going from one one-trick pony to another? Anyway, I reckon it'd be pretty monstrous with the 400+ and EV-loaded 1516BE.. and Matamp 212. I believe it might have been yourself, judging by your sig, that bought the other 1516BE that was on here? If so, my bird says to thank you. Regardless, i still kinda want two.

Edited by TheButler

Great looking bass TheButler, and pretty much exactly what I'm having a GAS attack for these days. And local, too... Sadly it's just a bit beyond my reach financially, so I think I'm going to have to settle for a CIJ P-bass instead. Good luck with it!

Edited by Simon.

[quote name='Simon.' post='800638' date='Apr 9 2010, 10:29 AM']Great looking bass TheButler, and pretty much exactly what I'm having a GAS attack for these days. Ant local, too... Sadly it's just a bit beyond my reach financially, so I think I'm going to have to settle for a CIJ P-bass instead. Good luck with it![/quote]

Unless you find a Rickenbacker under your bed. I've been looking at them and i think GAS for one is starting to consume me. If you want a blast on the '78 and your in the Burgh just give us a PM.

[quote name='TheButler' post='800624' date='Apr 9 2010, 10:13 AM']Then i hear lots of people saying that some play like dogs, but that might just be their preference, these things are really in the eye of the beholder. Their sound would be very fitting to the music i play. The greatest post-rock band of ever, Mogwai's, Dom Aitchison makes good use of his and his sound is immense, something which i'd aspire to achieve - but with my own take on it, by not using trace gear, like him. Although, i'd maybe have to consider that i'd be going from one one-trick pony to another? Anyway, I reckon it'd be pretty monstrous with the 400+ and EV-loaded 1516BE.. and Matamp 212. I believe it might have been yourself, judging by your sig, that bought the other 1516BE that was on here? If so, my bird says to thank you. Regardless, i still kinda want two.[/quote]

To quote(ish) John Lennon:

"Some people say you've gone too far"
"That's just the sort of thing some people would say"

A Ric, like a Precision, is far from one trick pony. Two PUPs for a start, and huge tonal variation, once you know what you're doing that is. OK, it ain't a J-Retro-loaded Jazz Bass in terms of versatility, but versatility isn't always necessary, especially if you're after a 'signature sound'.

Personally, I'd see if there's a kind soul here who'd lend you a Ric for a few days, or even do a temporary trade for your Precision. A Ric with heavy flatwounds, both PUPs open, running through your rig is a pretty monstrous proposition! The only downside with the Ric as far as I was concerned was playability, it didn't sit as well as a Precision, and irrespective of which line I was playing, it was ALWAYS easier to play on a Precision. OK, my Ric had the fattest neck I've ever played (46mm), which is huge, which was probably a factor!

If you sell that Mesa cab, let me know. I'll do likewise!

Chris

Yeh, I would gladly run two 1516's, or maybe the 1516 and a 215. Parting with the Matamp 212 will be difficult though. I'm going to run both, the Matamp 212 and the Mesa cab and see which i prefer i guess. The Mesa has really tatty tolex, but its got a custom flightcase made by packhorse, and it's got the 450W EV's in it, all of which are in very good condition. Its missing the grille badges, and being the kind of guy i am i'd like to source some. If anyone would have any ideas where to do such a thing that'd be braw.

Yeh, i guess i've just taken on the ignorant opinions of other online-bassplayers. The neck on this particular bass is fairly chunky, i really like it and would hope a Ric would a reasonably similar profile. If anyone does have a Ric and would like a temp swap then please by all means contact me!

[quote name='Beedster' post='800578' date='Apr 9 2010, 09:42 AM']Otherwise you could follow my bass journey

Chris[/quote]

.......you forgot the Wal :) .........

Weird. I found the playability on my brother-in-law's 70's Rick to be the best I'd ever played. Absolutely, ass-to-the-floor action, brilliant to play with no effort at all. I gigged it for about 6 months while I was 'between' precisions. The one thing I couldn't get on with though, was the sound. OK, it wasn't a one trick pony like the precision, but I just couldn't get a tone out of it I liked. It went from very wooly sounding, to very twangy, and that was about it. No punch, just a mellow spread of sound. Vintage sounding, no doubt, but so wooly and muted that nothing would cut through the mix at all- and that was with fresh stainless strings. It certainly never sounded 'Huge', and using the 'twang' wasn't an option. When I got my next precision it was a total relief. It didn't struggle in the mix like the Rick, it managed to sit exactly where it needed to, whilst cutting through beautifully. Huge is precision through and through!

Of course, recording may be totally different, this was only live experience.

I'd be considering a Stingray over a Rick if you love the Precision sound, but need more versatility.

Hmmm... i've got an irrational fear of Stingrays. I've tried them time and time again and just always fail to 'get on with them'. I'm still convinced a Ric, through the Boogie 400+ 1516 and 212 would be apocalyptic. Bearing in mind i play post-rock, so its all about making a huge sound. That sounds kinda crap though, woolly and twangy the two worst possible bass adjectives?

If anyone has joined this thread and thought '' Wow, this is some impressive rambling '' I'll synopsise you.

[b]Money:[/b] Looking at £1100 FIXED - It's a 'Basschat-bargain' at that, bearing in mind it has a fresh set-up and brand new D'Addario XL Chromes Flatwounds. Can travel for fee (Located in Edinburgh). Can post, at buyer's risk in fairly rugged wooden case.

[b]Trades:[/b]!

Sadowsky MV4HPJ in an ideal world. Otherwise, will consider other quality P/J's

Edited by TheButler

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='803476' date='Apr 12 2010, 10:23 AM']Would something like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49810"]this[/url] interest you?[/quote]

What a beauty! Easily the nicest and most tempting thing i've been offered thus far.

The only worries i have are: Never heard of the maker. Not got a clue how much it is worth. You said, in an other thread, that it ''doesn't suit the rock music you play'' which could mean it wouldn't sit well with me either. Also, you're a wee bit far away. Bloomin' nice bass though.

Edited by TheButler

Fair enough, if you're a rock man like me this wouldn't please you.

This bass is a true jazz / funk machine! It's got a really good build quality ([url="http://www.vanderend.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=56"]website[/url] of the luthier)

Good luck selling this beautiful bass!

Im gonna chime in here......

Butler Good day to you sir!

This 70's P is immaculate - Jamie talked about 'cracks' on the headstock lacquer- I'd say striations - they may grow up one day to be cracks but thats a good few years off yet. I know the tech that did the recent set up on this and he couldn't believe that this bass is as old as it is and no wear - it's got a nitrocellulose finish that is intact and you know how quickly n/c can show gig wear.

This bass is a classic late 70's (I had an old beat to sh*t '78 so know the vintage) its heavy, solid and it will do every tone you want a P bass to do - not every tone ever but every tone from a P. Thick and reggae groovy, edgy punk rock or just plain simple thick in the mix. A P is a P is a P and this one is what Fender would call a closet relic and charge twice the asking price for.

Whoever gets this will basically get a 'brand new' vintage bass for not much more than a new MIA P bass. That folks is worth saving the extra few £££ or selling that second cab you don't really need.

Good luck with your sale fella.

A super bass - I had a 77 precision from new at university.... went through Gibbo EB2, Rick 4001, John Birch and settled on a G&L SB1 for last 20 years. Before you move it on (and possibly regret later) get a G&L MFD precision type pickup and give it a try in the precision - non invasive and easily returned back to original. I find it a many trick pony with no shortage of clank, grind, hi fi and all points in between.

You have a mighty fine bass there.

In my perfect world i'd have this and a 70's Jazz - both with maple necks. I personally love the 70's Fenders. Then again, i'm all about solid, weighty instruments that sounds as they look and feel. In an inperfect situation, like this, i need something which combines the merits of both, or something which is different but still makes for a nice compromise. I could always look into getting a 70's Jazz... where would one find that kinda coin though.

Right. I'm going to let the advert run.

I'm not in any hurry to get shot of the bass. It is ideal for me, just slightly limiting.

I've narrowed down my trades to a Sadowsky MV4HPJ, ideally, would gladly consider other reputable, quality P/J's.

I've also decided i fancy a mid to late 70's Jazz. If i find one of them and my tonal needs are met by using that and this, then i'll withdraw.