Why become a member? ×

Which Jazz Bass

retroman

First off, appologies if this type of thread has been done to death, But help me make sense of it all.............. :lol:

I have GAS for a Jazz bass, and the options are overwhelming. Got it bad for a 70's type jobbie, with the ash tray, and block markers.

Fender American vintage at well into four figures
Mexican version, at around 500 quid
Squier Vintage Modified at around 280 quid
One of the super J copies, such as Lakland, etc.

OK, as far as the fender jobbies is concerned, I know that the US model uses an Ash body, the Mex is Alder, then the Squier is "Soft Maple". I know that the US model does come with the covers, and a proper case......But is the US model really worth the extra dosh?? :wacko: I would prefer one with a rosewood board, so I guess that rules out the Squier.

How do the super J type basses, from the likes of say, Lakland, stack up against the "Fender" range? Do they offer better playability, tone, and value for money? Budget wise, I don't want to be looking over £1500, but I don't want to feel like I've bought a lemon at the end of it! :rolleyes:

If it helps, I favour basses with a nice light, low action.

Cheers Peeps :)

This is a great site for Japanese Jazzes (check the basses towards the bottom which fit your bill)

[url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=3"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?...guitars&a=3[/url]

Cheers for the advice, and thanks for the link Clarky :)

I've had a look at the link, and the Jazz basses that float my boat are at the bottom of the page, as you suggested, and are around the £1000 mark. I have seen the American Vintage at around £1200, so is the Japanese option a lot better??

Hope I don't sound too thick, it's just I don't know an awful lot about Fender's :rolleyes:

Lots of people believe MIJ (made in Japan) or CIJ (crafted in Japan; no real difference) to be just as good quality as their US counterparts - only difference is they lack the cache of being made in the Fender plant in California. For many the latter does not justify the price premium. Can't really advise you on this as you would need to play to be sure. There are a ton of threads on BC about MIJ Fenders and whetehr they are any different to or better/worse than US Fenders - I would advise you to read these.

Also buying a good second hand one will always be better value than buying new as the depreciation on a bass is usually massive, like a car (eg, I tried and failed to sell a US Jazz recently for £700 despite only having bought it new three weeks before and having paid around £900 for it - but thats another story). BC FS forum is usually a great place to go shopping!

[quote name='retroman' post='615924' date='Oct 3 2009, 06:29 PM']I've had a look at the link, and the Jazz basses that float my boat are at the bottom of the page, as you suggested, and are around the £1000 mark. I have seen the American Vintage at around £1200, so is the Japanese option a lot better??[/quote]

That Lake Placid Blue one with the covers & the block markers for £999.00 is pretty gorgeous, isn't it? :)

As far as the quality of Japanese Fenders is concerned you've only got to look at Ebay & see how few of them come up for sale - people buy them & hang onto them. I'm not a big fan of Fenders but all the Japanese ones I've played have been fantastic.

The best bass Fender currently make IMO is the Geddy Lee signature Jazz bass - there are quite a few pro players using them & if you look on here you'll see dozens of glowing reports & reviews of them.
Guess where they're made? (Clue - It's not the USA or Mexico.....) :rolleyes:

If you're looking for a 70s style Jazz then the Geddy Lee model is definitely worth considering. It doesn't come with covers but you could always get them put on if you can't live without them. They're also pretty easily available in the UK so trying one out before you buy shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by RhysP

Top of my jazz list is the current Fender American Standard. There's nothing not to like about these. The playability and the sound have never been better. Next comes the Squier Classic Vibe model. Add an outboard or onboard Sadowsky preamp to either of these and you've got the ultimate combination of super jazz punch or classic passive jazz honk.

The Lakland JO & DJ series are very good as well. The latter producing one of the nicest classic jazz sounds around.

Sadowskys are lovely basses, but they don't really sound like a classic jazz. Much more modern and hifi sounding. And for me, the Am.Std just pips them on quality feel if you hand pick yourself a good one.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='retroman' post='615890' date='Oct 3 2009, 05:43 PM']First off, appologies if this type of thread has been done to death, But help me make sense of it all.............. :lol:

I have GAS for a Jazz bass, and the options are overwhelming. Got it bad for a 70's type jobbie, with the ash tray, and block markers.

Fender American vintage at well into four figures
Mexican version, at around 500 quid
Squier Vintage Modified at around 280 quid
One of the super J copies, such as Lakland, etc.

OK, as far as the fender jobbies is concerned, I know that the US model uses an Ash body, the Mex is Alder, then the Squier is "Soft Maple". I know that the US model does come with the covers, and a proper case......But is the US model really worth the extra dosh?? :wacko: I would prefer one with a rosewood board, so I guess that rules out the Squier.

How do the super J type basses, from the likes of say, Lakland, stack up against the "Fender" range? Do they offer better playability, tone, and value for money? Budget wise, I don't want to be looking over £1500, but I don't want to feel like I've bought a lemon at the end of it! :rolleyes:

If it helps, I favour basses with a nice light, low action.

Cheers Peeps :)[/quote]Well the super J's for me....are usually active instruments, but as Fender's go i would go for MIJ or CIJ everytime. amazing instruments..i used to have a USA 75 RI and a CIJ 62 RI..the CIJ was better... if i was going to go for a jazz now though..it would be a Lakland Joe Osborne...and then put an Audere pre amp in it..

or get a MIJ like the one above and put some Nordstrands and a Creative audio 'redeemer' curcuit into it..i have this in my CS jazz, and its the best Jazz ive ever played...better than anything ive ever heard, seriously...its that good.

Edited by bubinga5

Thanks Chaps,

I have to admit, when I got down to the Lake Placid blue Jazz, pictured above, I had a serious GAS attack!! That is simply gorgeous :wub:

I have been thinking about the Geddy Lee Jazz, seems to be a damn good bass for your money, and has been getting rave reviews.

I'm not overly concerned as to the bass coming with the covers, or a hard case. I've seen the covers on Ebay recently for as little as £20, so I would be foolish to pay, say, an extra £300 on a bass just to have them :rolleyes:

I agree 100% with the comment about not seeing any Jap Fenders on Ebay. I take that to be a good sign as to the quality, and the fact that people are hanging on to them. In fact, I always use Ebay as a "Crapometer"....... :)

Just to add to what others have said, I recently bought a CIJ 60's Reissue Jazz and it is absolutely fabulous. I got crazy GAS after playing a Geddy Lee, the quality and playability was amaing and I wanted one so so badly. When the 60's reissue came up I knew it would be on a similar par to the Geddy Lee and was not dissapointed. Its so good I felt very little sadness when I sold my Fender Roscoe Beck, the quality and sound is that good.

Good hunting and just as a side not it may be worth getting in contact with Ishibashi. They always have a few Jazzes for sale and the rates are good, youshould definately be able to get something for your budget: [url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/[/url]

I'll add my opinion into the mix that the Classic Vibe Squier is easily as good, if not better (perhaps post pickup upgrade) than the Mexican Classic range.

They are so good, it makes owning a more expensive Jazz at the same time, rather difficult.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='retroman' post='616236' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:01 AM']I have been thinking about the Geddy Lee Jazz, seems to be a damn good bass for your money, and has been getting rave reviews.[/quote]

They are absolutely incredible. One of very few basses I know I would never sell. It's brilliant! :)

OK, tried out some Jazz basses today, came home empty handed though!

Here's my thoughts;

Fender Mexico Jazz. Nicely put together, and nice finish. Found it fairly average to play though, with a medium height/heavy action

Fender Deluxe jazz. The active one, with the fancy top, and the extra fret. Didn't find it much better than the Mex, IMHO. Action was fairly high, looked in need of a truss rod tweak at the least

Sandberg jazz. Very nicely put together, and gorgeous finish. Loved the bridge on this one too. The strings did sound fairly dead though, and it had a rather high action. Again, looked in need of a truss rod tweak

Fender Japan Marcus Miller Jazz. WOW!! Beautifully made, gorgeous finish, and sublime to play. Lovely low/ leight action, with no buzz. Very impressed. The only thing that puts me off the MM signature Jazz is the scratch plate. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just prefer the look of the standard Jazz set up.

Still fancy trying out the Lakland DJ, anybody know of one of these in stock around the Sheffield/ Nottingham area??

Well of course, Alan's beautiful Shuker, seen above, is a steal, so I'd jump on that if I had the cash.

On the Fender front, I've had a Geddy, a Marcus Miller, a Highway One, and now an older late 80s Japanese Fender Jazz. I honestly couldn't fault any of them. The H1 was a cracker, but I think the first Marcus I had was the best of them all, it was superb in every way. For me, any of the Japanese made Fenders I've had have been absolutely faultless.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='624096' date='Oct 12 2009, 03:50 PM'](Ooops, sorry Retroman, hi-jacking your thread. Please excuse!)[/quote]

You are excused sir. I am a very laid back kinda dude :rolleyes:

I have to admit, that Shuker did get me thinking.....But truth be known, that colour is a little too "sudden" for my taste. I have real GAS for a 70's type jobbie, with a rosewood board, and big block inlays :wub: Also, I think things could look a little far out with that colour, against our guitarists cherry SG! No offence meant, just not my cuppa, and it would be a shame to do a refin on such a lovely bass :lol:

I'm starting to think along the lines of pushing the boat out, and getting the full on USA 75 reissue. Reasons being;

1) resale value. I've noticed that the Jap stuff doesn't hold it's value anywhere near as well, should I need to sell it on
2) Hard case. With the Jap, and the Lakland, I've noticed you only get a gig bag. (Gig bag with a £1000 bass, that's just rude.......)

However, I am watching the for sale section like a hawk, and will pounce faster than a striking cobra at the right deal!
I am also aware that I could get a Mex 75 reissue, but I sold a Mex jazz bass, as I found it rather average.....Not really anything wrong with it, but not anything really good about it, if you see what I mean :)

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='624096' date='Oct 12 2009, 03:50 PM']Hey Simon (Old Git)
[i]"Basschat Shuker Custom Precision 5 String club member # 1"[/i]

Jon's making me a P-5 like the Simon Rix, so save me a place in your club!

(Ooops, sorry Retroman, hi-jacking your thread. Please excuse!)[/quote]

Excellent!
You'll be number three unless there's some stelth building going on ...
That's me, Old Horse Murphy and you .... and 3's a crowd!

[quote name='retroman' post='624148' date='Oct 12 2009, 04:31 PM']2) Hard case. With the Jap, and the Lakland, I've noticed you only get a gig bag. (Gig bag with a £1000 bass, that's just rude.......)[/quote]

Most posh basses only come with posh gig bags as far as I can tell. But a Hiscox is only £80 or so.

The new Fender full on case is amazing too .. really tough looking.
Bigger and fatter than a Hiscox if that's a consideration, say in your car or storage facility...