Why become a member? ×

my amp's STILL in the shop...

ase_one23

i just thought i'd share this with everyone and get some opinions (or maybe just a rant off my chest!)

i bought mattcitizenbass's soundcity 120b a coupla months ago, played it for a week, loved it, thought to myself, well if i'm taking this out gigging i'll treat it to a good set-up first. so took it in to a well-respected amp repair shop in glasgow. now it had acquired a wee bit of damage to one side panel, nothing major, just needed glued/pinned, plus i wanted to know if there were any issues etc... brought it in, everyone's all smiles, v friendly, told it'd be a week to a week and a half...
(no contact)
2 weeks later, i give them a wee call for an update, 'yep, we were working on it, there's a bit of a buzzing that i'm trying to track down, a couple of days' all v friendly again, not a problem i think, i'm in no rush.
(no contact)
another week later, another call, i said i had a gig the next night, would i be ready for the next day by chance? 'yep, just need to give it a quick once over and you're ready, no probs for tomorrow'. and how did you get on with that side panel 'ummmm, oh, i'll glue it today and it'll be fine'. thinking i'd give them as long as possible i said i'd pick it up the next day a half hour before they close (5.30, gig load in at 6).
next day, 3.30 i get a call from them (shock horror!) to tell me that they had discovered that the filter capacitors needed stripped out and replaced, it'd be £10 each, i needed 4 and they'd have to wait for them to be ordered in. hmmm, ok i think, a tad disgruntled now.
(no contact)

this is now another week later, ie a month

i must add that every time i spoke to someone, although they were very keen and eager on the phone, i got the distinct impression that they didnt have a clue who was meant to be dealing with the amp, much less had an idea of what needed doing on it or timescales etc...

it's left me with the impression that if i was a guy walking in with his prized ac30 or marshall plexi and a rangerover and a wad o' cash then nothing would be too much trouble, but for a scruffy guy with a beard? as soon as you're out of the door we've forgotten all about your amp son!

so what to do? be more forceful with them? they're going to get some constructive criticism either next time i have to call them or when i pick it up - for the money i'm paying them the customer service is atrocious.

phew, rant over!!!

Edited by ase_one23

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='615074' date='Oct 2 2009, 06:26 PM']It sounds like they haven't even looked at it - I'd pick it up and take it to someone that does have a clue. If they ask for any money kick 'em in the nuts.

Then again they could be hiring it out or using it for their own gigs.[/quote]That Sir, is the kind of reply I like.

MB1. :)
You Could?...Smarten up!...Get a shave!....OR.......tell them youre a moderator on Basschat with thousands of bass players on the internet,and you were thinking of giving them a namecheck for such a Great Service theyve provided you and your amp!....
.....Should Speed the Process! :lol: :rolleyes:

[quote name='MB1' post='615142' date='Oct 2 2009, 07:35 PM']MB1. :)
You Could?...Smarten up!...Get a shave!....OR.......tell them youre a moderator on Basschat with thousands of bass players on the internet,and you were thinking of giving them a namecheck for such a Great Service theyve provided you and your amp!....
.....Should Speed the Process! :lol: :rolleyes:[/quote]

well my girlfriend would like the smartening up and shaving part of it!!!!! i think i'm going to wander in tomorrow and have a quiet word with them in person. to be honest if it had taken this long and they'd called me once a week i could take it, but no contact at all!?!?! it's just really disappointing. maybe because i'm not that knowledgeable on valve amps i'm giving them too much leeway.

anyhow, i'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow evening - thanks for the support!!!!

PS i'm going to hold off on the naming and shaming till tomorrow, can't say i'm not giving them their chance to redeem themselves!!!

well, went into flynn amps in glasgow yesterday for an update. the owner/boss was there so we had a few words, him saying that they had actually done an awful lot on the amp, me suggesting it would have been nice to have received a phone call after a month. the upshot is that i've been assured it should be ready tomorrow. and that i will receive a call / voicemail. we shall see.

at the end of the day, i reckon that these guys are probably pretty good at fixing stuff - i just don't think they have any idea how to run a customer-focused business.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='616657' date='Oct 4 2009, 05:42 PM']reason obviously has not prevailed
pressure is required
what form it need take is debateable
but an indication of sheer anger and name shaming should be on you lips...just after you walk out the door with the thing fixed
is it biggars[/quote]

it's flynn amps, just behind cc music off great western road. if there's no call tomorrow there shall be blood, but not whilst they've still got my amp!!!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='616690' date='Oct 4 2009, 06:12 PM']er you asked for a service and a side panel to be re-glued?
should they not have asked your permission before doing any other substantial work on it?[/quote]

i should point out that when i spoke to them the 3rd time i agreed for them to go ahead with the filter capacitor swap.

[quote name='ase_one23' post='616700' date='Oct 4 2009, 06:25 PM']it's flynn amps, just behind cc music off great western road. if there's no call tomorrow there shall be blood, but not whilst they've still got my amp!!!
i should point out that when i spoke to them the 3rd time i agreed for them to go ahead with the filter capacitor swap.[/quote]

i see where they are..not that that matters..i used to work at woodside place..

one solution is to mention this forum and how they could be in line for more work and good feedback if they were to resolve their difficulties with their supplier...and you
toot sweet...thats parliamo glesca for atft

best of luck again

[quote name='ase_one23' post='616700' date='Oct 4 2009, 06:25 PM']i should point out that when i spoke to them the 3rd time i agreed for them to go ahead with the filter capacitor swap.[/quote]
Which, if they're doing other work already, would take all of 5 mins to assess, remove, replace and test.

Clearly the problem lies in work-flow management - but then lots of amp techs are the same. You walk in with an amp and the first thing they do is show the other 300 waiting to be fixed. "Oooh, I'm snowed under!" they bleat. "When will your amp be ready? M'mmmm.... Ooh - look at this original Plexi!"

I had a similar issue with Chandlers in Kew. F***ed me around for two solid months on a Rivera pot-swap (board mounted, else I'd have done it myself). The fifth time I phoned up, I could hear someone in the background having a good laugh, as the tech got sarky on me.

Phone down, grab my bag of hammers, round there 20 mins later. Walked out with a repaired amp 15 mins after that.

As your post suggests, direct contact is always the best. Face to face, these Sad Jimmies fold like a wet cardboard box.

wont find out till i get off from work whether there's a voicemail waiting for me from flynn amps, but as a side note on how customer service should be:

guitar guitar sold me a psu and daisy chain that they assured me were compatible - they werent. popped back in this afternoon, returned it and fortunately they had the one i wanted in stock now so got that instead. they owed me a quid, said i'd put it towards some strings - the guy went, tell you what, since u had to come back in, just have the strings for a quid.

and thats why they get my repeat custom.

[quote name='ase_one23' post='617710' date='Oct 5 2009, 05:42 PM']wont find out till i get off from work whether there's a voicemail waiting for me from flynn amps, but as a side note on how customer service should be:

[b]guitar guitar [/b]sold me a psu and daisy chain that they assured me were compatible - they werent. popped back in this afternoon, returned it and fortunately they had the one i wanted in stock now so got that instead. they owed me a quid, said i'd put it towards some strings - the guy went, tell you what, since u had to come back in, just have the strings for a quid.

and thats why they get my repeat custom.[/quote]
The reason I would never buy anything substantial from Guitar Guitar is in this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=60125"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=60125[/url]

Good luck with the amp.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='617824' date='Oct 5 2009, 07:11 PM']The reason I would never buy anything substantial from Guitar Guitar is in this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=60125"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=60125[/url]

Good luck with the amp.[/quote]

er... a wee bit unfair that,
I just read the thread, as far as I can see someone asked their shop in newcastle about an item. The item was in glasgow and as a result they didn't give the correct information. As shown when they got pictures through from the Glasgow store.
Their mistake was not providing adequate information to a sales person hundreds of miles from the item he's not seen.
Compared to the rubbish i've heard sales people say in other shops about items in their hands its not the end of the world.

I've never had anything except brilliant service from the edinburgh store. I would think another large reason why you would 'never buy anything substantial from Guitar Guitar' is the fact you live in brighton?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='617896' date='Oct 5 2009, 08:12 PM']er... a wee bit unfair that,
I just read the thread, as far as I can see someone asked their shop in newcastle about an item. The item was in glasgow and as a result they didn't give the correct information. As shown when they got pictures through from the Glasgow store.
Their mistake was not providing adequate information to a sales person hundreds of miles from the item he's not seen.
Compared to the rubbish i've heard sales people say in other shops about items in their hands its not the end of the world.

I've never had anything except brilliant service from the edinburgh store. I would think another large reason why you would 'never buy anything substantial from Guitar Guitar' is the fact you live in brighton?[/quote]
It remains my opinion. I may live in Brighton but I strongly considered buying the item concerned as did another basschatter - who it appears was seriously misled by them. I don't really see that where someone lives is of any relevance when you're buying over the internet.

You're correct that it was not 'the end of the world' but then none of this stuff is 'the end of the world'; but being so clearly misled about a £1200 item I'd say is serious even if you think it unimportant.

hmm, yes my reply appears a bit harsh and sarcastic. I appolagise.

however a shop lives and dies by it's reputation. This thread is about an amp being repaired at at [i]another[/i] shop in Glasgow, guitarguitar were used as an example of good customer service.
I see little need for your comment referring to someone elses past problem with the shop in this thread. It's not relevent to the discussion and just hurts the reputation of a perfectly good local business. I think if you want to talk about whatever problems you personally have with them, it belongs in a different thread.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='617975' date='Oct 5 2009, 09:18 PM']I see little need for your comment referring to someone elses past problem with the shop in this thread. It's not relevent to the discussion and just hurts the reputation of a perfectly good local business. I think if you want to talk about whatever problems you personally have with them, it belongs in a different thread.[/quote]

:) Balance? If he's had a problem with a named multi-location retailer, it doesn't seem [i]entirely[/i] unreasonable to bring it up. Glasgow may be good, Newcastle may be not so.

These 'shop' threads have a tendency to sprawl a bit when it comes to naming and shaming. Hence my ref to Chandlers in Kew. I'm sure these threads have little effect anyhow - we've been moaning about shops for years and not much changes. :rolleyes:

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='617975' date='Oct 5 2009, 09:18 PM']hmm, yes my reply appears a bit harsh and sarcastic. I appolagise.[/quote]
Thanks, Luke. And I apologise too for both my response to you and any offence caused by my first post.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='617975' date='Oct 5 2009, 09:18 PM']however a shop lives and dies by it's reputation. This thread is about an amp being repaired at at [i]another[/i] shop in Glasgow, guitarguitar were used as an example of good customer service.
I see little need for your comment referring to someone elses past problem with the shop in this thread. It's not relevent to the discussion and just hurts the reputation of a perfectly good local business. I think if you want to talk about whatever problems you personally have with them, it belongs in a different thread.[/quote]
I would take this point as a general rule but I remain aghast at the particular events to which I referred.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='616830' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:42 PM']Chandler's in Kew[/quote]

My mate's had his Ricky in Chandlers in Kew for over a month now, no comms from them, just a set up and nut recut was all that he needed. I told him to tell them give him his instrument back and f*** off. He always goes there though, can't be bothered to research properly.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='618383' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:24 AM']My mate's had his Ricky in Chandlers in Kew for over a month now, no comms from them, just a set up and nut recut was all that he needed. I told him to tell them give him his instrument back and f*** off. He always goes there though, can't be bothered to research properly.[/quote]

MB1. :)
....A Month for a setup and nut recut? :lol: :rolleyes: ....That is just inexcusable!

[quote name='silddx' post='618383' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:24 AM']My mate's had his Ricky in Chandlers in Kew for over a month now, no comms from them, just a set up and nut recut was all that he needed. I told him to tell them give him his instrument back and f*** off. He always goes there though, can't be bothered to research properly.[/quote]
TBH, most of my problems with Chandler's ceased when I stopped going there about 4 years ago. They always used to have interesting stock (guitar-wise) but the stratospheric prices and mostly sniffy attitude got to me in the end. Charlie's new-ish place in Kingston isn't much better, IMO.

Bizarrely for the area and population size, I always found it very difficult to source a reliable, inexpensive luthier when I was in West-ish London. I eventually found a good one - Andrew Scrimshaw - but shortly thereafter he went to work at ... Chandlers. :)

Maintenance stuff like this, we're better off doing it ourselves.

Edited by skankdelvar