Why become a member? ×

my amp's STILL in the shop...

ase_one23

Wakey, wakey on this thread :lol:

i've just posted something referring to my old Hiwatt valve PA head - which I had serviced locally by Mr Neito - he loves old valve amps!! I was a bit concerned about his dreamy expression when I showed him it :) .

However a friend recommended Flynn amps as being a bit more pro - what with them servicing Bryan Adams amps n all. I phoned them - very nice - yes we'll look at, it sounds like a good one, aye just pop in & leave it & we'll check it out. Speak to my pal again & say that I'm thinking of taking it into the big city. Then he tell's me that he had to wait ages on his Bassman being repaired , oh, & by the way after chasing them they discovered that they had to order something , oh & by the way it was really expensive & he didn't notice any difference.

Perhaps you do need to be Billy Big Baws to get good service - but what about us wee ones?

Think I'll reconsider & if needed I know where Mr Neito's workshop is - although he did service my friends amp that failed the first time he used it again . can you trust anyone? :)

Well, trust is always the key. I phoned around a LOT to get the guy who does my stuff.
He is a one man band and tells me when he is free to give my amp attention.
He doesn't sit aorund waiting for me to call, of course, but will say pop it in and I'll get back within the week. which is fair enough by me.

I'd recommend my guy to anyone..he even told me my input stage was designed wrong..or rather he wouldn't do it that way, but was pretty impressed with the components that were used. :)
He has a design background..bla bla..

I'd PM his contact number to anyone in Kent or Maidstone.
My mate always uses Chandlers and likes them

[quote name='Donnyboy' post='1174408' date='Mar 24 2011, 11:20 AM']can you trust anyone? :)[/quote]

Yes, Dennis Marshall in Newmills, just north of Dunfermline. We had a similar conversation on here not so long ago. Lives & breathes Sound City, & therefore Hiwatts too. He's a list as long as his arm of names he's worked for, not least The Eagles & George Michaels Band in recent years.
His details are in the Trusted Amp techs in the Repairs section.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1175022' date='Mar 24 2011, 06:13 PM']Yes, Dennis Marshall in Newmills, just north of Dunfermline. We had a similar conversation on here not so long ago. Lives & breathes Sound City, & therefore Hiwatts too. He's a list as long as his arm of names he's worked for, not least The Eagles & George Michaels Band in recent years.
His details are in the Trusted Amp techs in the Repairs section.[/quote]

Thanks for that - I'll check him out - is he a Fifer?

[quote name='Donnyboy' post='1175569' date='Mar 25 2011, 08:18 AM']Thanks for that - I'll check him out - is he a Fifer?[/quote]

Dennis does all our repairs for the shop and what he doesn't know about amps you could write on an atom. Quick turnaround as well. Oh, and he's one of the nicest, most helpful people you'll ever meet!

Mention Deek from HSK recommended him to you....

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='1175654' date='Mar 25 2011, 10:03 AM']Dennis does all our repairs for the shop and what he doesn't know about amps you could write on an atom. Quick turnaround as well. Oh, and he's one of the nicest, most helpful people you'll ever meet!

Mention Deek from HSK recommended him to you....

D.[/quote]

Just spoken to him - you are 100% correct. Thanks, much appreciated.
Can't wait to go see him.
He reckon's it's a mid 70's original & should be the bizz for bass - yahoo!!
:)

[quote name='Donnyboy' post='1175754' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:46 AM']Just spoken to him - you are 100% correct. Thanks, much appreciated.
Can't wait to go see him.
He reckon's it's a mid 70's original & should be the bizz for bass - yahoo!!
:)[/quote]

Is he not full of the Flu ATM??

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='1175889' date='Mar 25 2011, 01:36 PM']Is he not full of the Flu ATM??

D.[/quote]

Didn't put him off seeing me late this afternoon if he did - what a true gent. sorted my BW speaker that I'd been told to put in the bin & raved about my Hiwatt PA amp- probably a 1970 original & , whisper it , worth a fortune . Feel a bit guilty for leaving lying at the back of the garage for more than 15 years!!Ah, well.

[quote name='Donnyboy' post='1176446' date='Mar 25 2011, 07:49 PM']Didn't put him off seeing me late this afternoon if he did - what a true gent. sorted my BW speaker that I'd been told to put in the bin & raved about my Hiwatt PA amp- probably a 1970 original & , whisper it , worth a fortune . Feel a bit guilty for leaving lying at the back of the garage for more than 15 years!!Ah, well.[/quote]
Hope he showed you his back-stage pass collection in his workshop?

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1176484' date='Mar 25 2011, 08:17 PM']Hope he showed you his back-stage pass collection in his workshop?[/quote]

I noticed them - he didn't show them off as such being a gent 'n'all. Nice collection of giutars . He did however show me his early JV Squier P Bass that he got for less than a £1 from a junk shop in Stirling. Now that the kind of find I'd like!