Why become a member? ×

Fake Stingray Warning.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

Always on the lookout for a bargain, i stumbled across this gumtree advert.

[url="http://bristol.gumtree.com/bristol/81/46465481.html"]http://bristol.gumtree.com/bristol/81/46465481.html[/url]

(The ads been taken down now) But it was for £300

Its a Black with Rosewood one, Claims it to only be a couple of years old. But it has an old style Ernie Ball logo.

Here is my series of emails with him about it (Start from the Bottom, work your way up to the top)

Also i am completely aware i am a novice about Musicmans and some of the info i supplied may be wrong.

[quote]Really.... oh, I think I will ask him about this and claim what you thought - I am a drummer and thought I could buy this off him as a second instrument. But yeah sure Ill tell him.. Thanks Man.

Carlo.

To: carlo
Subject: RE: Musicman
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:05:06 +0000

Sorry mate but this bass is a complete fake. If you didnt know before then i am sorry. Musicman still make Rosewood/Black basses and they have used the more modern "Shorter" Style logo for about 19 years now. This has an older style late 70's- 1992 logo on. The pickup is far to small for a genuine stingray. As you mentioned there are no Musicman Stamps on the bridge or backplate, No serial number on the back of the headstock or country of origin. The Backplate number is not a genuine Musicman Serial number either. Genuine Musicman serial numbers usually start with a Letter and 6 digits, or 6 digits. NEVER 7 digits. This is obviously a copy. Sorry. I would suggest you go back to your mate and have a go at him and ask for your money back.

Regards Rob.

To: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:55:11 +0100

It hasnt got it on the back of the head stock but it has it on the plate on the back of the body - 2001791

Its about 3 years old, but they dont make this spec on the stingray anymore as it was recently changed by them..

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 17:51:37 +0000

Ok, Whats the serial number? Should be on the back of the headstock.

Also i meant the musicman logo stamp on the bridge, a bridge is metal so it cant be varnished! Musicmans have the word "Musicman" stamped into the bridge.

You mention the bass is not very old, yet it has an old Ernie Ball style Musicman logo and not a modern style one. I am not convinced this is a genuine Musicman at the moment, but if you can prove me wrong then awesome i'll come pick it up :)

Rob.

How old is the bass?

Rob.

To: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:50:47 +0100

It got revarnished last year so it no longer has the stamp on there. But it does have the proper headstock logo etc.....

It does work fine -

Cheers, Carlo.

Subject: Musicman
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 17:46:55 +0000

Hey mate.

I would like to buy your Musicman, i am only in Kingswood myself so not far!

I assume everything is working on it? Bloody cheap price! Does it have all the Musicman logo stamps on the bridge and backplate? If so i'll take it!

Rob.[/quote]

So if you see any suspicious black rays on Ebay or Gumtree. Report it :rolleyes:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='614147' date='Oct 1 2009, 07:34 PM']Nice work officer. :lol:
Let's hope it turns up on here so we can all join in. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I did say he could if he mentioned it was a copy :)

Honestly i did have to look twice at the add, the low resolution pic was actually convincingly genuine looking. It was only the fact that i spotted the older logo and the fact he said it was only 3 years old that i queried it.

It's hard to tell with that angle but the headstock looks kinda wrong for an OLP - too elongated.

[b]edit :[/b] a quick squint over the interweb turns up that OLPs tend to have the string tree in a direct line between the E and G tuner posts. This one has it almost parallel with the E post - annoyingly this is exactly like my 'ray's string tree :rolleyes: :)

Edited by Ou7shined

Just goes to show, if something seems to good to be true, then it probably is! ALWAYS trust your instincts and walk away if you're unsure.

Maybe the guy selling this has been duped and genuinely doesn't know any better, but a quick check of the intranet would have told him that musicmans just don't go for £300.

Well spotted mate, and thanks for passing it on.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='615041' date='Oct 2 2009, 05:58 PM']I think we have seen that one before.[/quote]

Aye it was flagged up on eBay i think

This one?
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33981&hl=musicman"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=musicman[/url]

Link is dead now as it was a while ago, pretty sure this bass has been here before

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='615643' date='Oct 3 2009, 12:34 PM']Aye it was flagged up on eBay i think

This one?
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33981&hl=musicman"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=musicman[/url]

Link is dead now as it was a while ago, pretty sure this bass has been here before[/quote]

That's the one.

Spotted that too this morning!
Luckily I'm not into Stingrays, but it would have been a bargain at that price - if authentic.
Was meaning to email seller for more info as he's just up the road from me, but now it's gone (again). :)

Anyone seen this? Looks a bit dubious to me, but I know little about them. The back plate looks wrong, there is no battery compartment, the bridge doesnt look quite right....

what do you lot think?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290355478695&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]Ebay link[/url]

Edited by TRadford

[quote name='TRadford' post='616231' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:51 AM']Anyone seen this? Looks a bit dubious to me, but I know little about them. The back plate looks wrong, there is no battery compartment, the bridge doesnt look quite right....

what do you lot think?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290355478695&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]Ebay link[/url][/quote]

That is very interesting. The neck looks to be original pre-EB. Bullet truss rod, skunk stripe and 3-bolt neck plate. Control plate could be but the body is probably not. The bridge definitely doesn't look right.

Story: Several years ago a local luthier borrowed my pre-EB so that he could take a pattern of the body. He had a customer in Sussex who had several old Stingray necks that he needed bodies for. Go figure.

[quote name='obbm' post='616257' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:35 AM']That is very interesting. The neck looks to be original pre-EB. Bullet truss rod, skunk stripe and 3-bolt neck plate. Control plate could be but the body is probably not. The bridge definitely doesn't look right.

Story: Several years ago a local luthier borrowed my pre-EB so that he could take a pattern of the body. He had a customer in Sussex who had several old Stingray necks that he needed bodies for. Go figure.[/quote]

The neck plate seems to be blank though, surely it should be stamped with the serial number or the logo? The headstock seems to be 1976-8 style from what I can make out. The bridge, I cant find one like it anywhere. I suppose its possible it is a 70's stingray thats just had bits chopped and changed.

[quote name='TRadford' post='616285' date='Oct 4 2009, 10:08 AM']The neck plate seems to be blank though, surely it should be stamped with the serial number or the logo? The headstock seems to be 1976-8 style from what I can make out. The bridge, I cant find one like it anywhere. I suppose its possible it is a 70's stingray thats just had bits chopped and changed.[/quote]

My pre-EB has all gold-plated hardware and the neck plate is plain.

The bridge should be larger and have the string mutes and yes the pick-up is too close to the bridge.

Asked the seller if it was active or passive and if active where was the battery?

Answer "hi i know nothing about guitars sorry i cant help you i dont think it has a batt."

Edited by obbm

Actually met up with the seller this morning, after lots of furtive texts - he wanted to meet at a roundabout!. Wasn't prepared to do that. He's selling some pedals & I needed a CS-3 & as nobody on here wants to sell me one :) .......
Only a young chap, I'd guess 16 or so if that. Guess he may have seen some of the comments here, judging from his behaviour - at first he didn't want to give me his address for [i]'obvious reasons'[/i](?!)
Bought the pedal, it was a good price @ £30. My final comment to him, after the usual wishing him well etc, was 'you do know that ain't a real Stingray, right?'. He didn't respond.
Oh well..... :rolleyes:

Edited by nick

It does, as OBBM says, look like a genuine stingray neck, the control panel and pickup may be too, though the bridge and body definitely aren't. Bit of an odd one that. I won't bother reporting it though, you'd have to have something wrong with you to think that was a stingray. As wayne says, if it goes cheap, it could be worth a punt just for the neck alone.

[quote name='TRadford' post='616231' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:51 AM']Anyone seen this? Looks a bit dubious to me, but I know little about them. The back plate looks wrong, there is no battery compartment, the bridge doesnt look quite right....

what do you lot think?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290355478695&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]Ebay link[/url][/quote]
The price has suddenly gone vooomp. :)