Why become a member? ×

Sorry Clarky.......

Beedster

Right......

I was looking for a cheap backup fretted about 3 months ago and somehow managed to spend £675 on it! Anyway, any of you who've seen Clarky's posts recently (see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61613)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61613)[/url] will know that he really regretted selling it and, given I didn't really need a fretted bass in that price range (or at all TBH), I kinda regretted buying it. Obvious thing to do was reverse the deal but Clarky, being Clarky, bought another 2009 Jazz in the meantime and, despite trying to sell that bass to buy back the one he sold me, has had no luck and has now resigned himself to not seeing this baby again :)

Have I lost you yet........?

Anyway, I bought a project fretless Ric a month or so back and it has required a little more cash than I initially anticipated, in fact the cash in question - and the cash I spent on Clarky's Jazz - were earmarked for a sexy top-end combo, which I now find I could really use, especially as I'm finding the Ric/Markbass combination isn't as warm as I'd like.

Still with me.....?

So, up for grabs is a brand spanking new 2009 Fender Jazz, and a damn good example of what is a very good new series (I posted about it a couple of times in a thread about the '09 Fenders at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57804&hl=)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57804&hl=)[/url]. It comes in the new model case, which is of equally high quality, plus all case candy etc.

I'm looking for one of the following

1. Mesa Walkabout or similar combo (T/PX)
2. An interesting fretless (T/PX)
3. A two-man sea going Kayak (long shot I know)
4. £675, which is what I paid Clarky

It's currently active but the pre in question is likely spoken for in a seperate transaction. It will be restored to it's original condition for sale.

I'll try and get some decent pics up but here's a few taken on my phone. It's the one with frets :rolleyes:

Chris

[attachment=33861:Fretted_J_1.jpg][attachment=33862:FJ.jpg][attachment=33863:Jazzes_1.jpg]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Clarky' post='613914' date='Oct 1 2009, 03:49 PM']As Chris typed this, I was typing why I had withdrawn my Jazz!

This is, as is evident from me trying to buy it back, a fantastic, slick-playing Jazz and whoever buys this will be a happy bunny[/quote]

Ok You lust for your ol Jazz, You have a mesa combo. Beedster wants a Mesa combo ... Surely there's some possible solution here?

Here's what I wrote about the Jazz about 6 weeks back

[quote name='Beedster' post='571721' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:54 PM']I've recently picked up an '09 model (maple board). I have, to be honest, been blown away by it. Firstly the build quality is a huge improvement on both recent and vintage Fenders I've owned, it's seriously very close to Sadowsky quality (the neck pretty much stays put in the pocket without the screws and the finishing and playability of the neck are outstanding). I've owned around 20 Fenders, five of which were Custom Shop models, and recently two Sadowskys, so I feel qualified to make the comparison. Secondly the tone seems hugely improved, OK, perhaps a function of the build quality (and possibly materials and High Mass Vintage Bridge), but I can't help thinking the PUPs are improved on previous versions. The slap tone is so good it sounds active. OK. it doesn't have the smoothness of tone of the Sadowsky UV70 I recently owned, but neither did that Sadowsky have the in-yer-face grunt that this bass has. The addition of the Vintage High Mass Bridge no doubt helps although as I've pretty much always installed Badass bridges on my Fenders anyway this is perhaps less of a factor in any direct comparison I'm making here. The neck is slightly chunkier than standard Jazzes, no wider but a little deeper and consequently more solid feeling, in fact, it feels somewhere between a Jazz and a Precision. It's a lovely weight - when I say it's not too light and not too heavy, which is not always helpful, what I'm saying is that it's perfect for me, bearing in mind I let a '69 Jazz go because it was too light for me (I've never got the tone I want from light basses). The finish on the body seems lovely and thin, giving the impression that more of the tone is coming from the wood. It also looks like it's wood and not plastic like so many of the 90's Fenders

The only thing I'm troubled by at present is that the new tuners don't hold their tuning anything like as well as those on my vintage basses. This could be a function of the fact that I NEVER have to tune either of those basses - I'm not even sure of the tuners work any more - but I do have to tune the Jazz, so perhaps I've been spoiled?

As you can probably guess, I'm mightily impressed - and somewhat reassured - by the bass, reassured because Fender seemed to be becoming a company known for having once made great basses rather than a company who still do. I'm pretty sure the likes or Ernie Ball, Lakland and even Sadowsky, all of whom have perhaps had some mileage out of Fender's poor recent record, will be watching carefully.

Chris[/quote]

The tuners are now fine by the way (old strings not poor tuners) :)

And here's how I felt it compared with my old Sadowsky UV70

[quote name='Beedster' post='571922' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:54 PM']Funny you should ask.........

The '09 Fender compares well in the following:

Build quality & finishing:
Feel & weight
Playability and set-up. I can get the same buzz-free low action and intonation on the Fender I got on the Sadowsky

It doesn't compare so well on:

Sweetness of tone. The Sadowsky just has that little something that it's hard to put your finger on (note that I'm talking passive; I'm not so sure than in active mode the distinction might not be less obvious. I'll be putting a J-Retro in soon so I'll let you know).

Its better on:

Grunt. It has the potential for a nasty funk tone, even played passively, that I could never get out of the UV70, even in active
Looks and authenticity. The UV70 looks like a Fender copy (it is) and was simply too boutique for me
Case. The Sadowsky case is good, the Fender case is awesome

Up to you whether those differences are worth £1000. I'd say not but then I kept finding that I had a sense of being let down by every top end bass I owned (Modulus, Sadowsky, Status) which I don't have with this bass. Then again, perhaps my expectations were lower and my natural pro-Fender bias has crept in?

Chris[/quote]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='OldGit' post='613918' date='Oct 1 2009, 03:59 PM']Ok You lust for your ol Jazz, You have a mesa combo. Beedster wants a Mesa combo ... Surely there's some possible solution here?[/quote]

LOL, we tried that one :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='613918' date='Oct 1 2009, 03:59 PM']Ok You lust for your ol Jazz, You have a mesa combo. Beedster wants a Mesa combo ... Surely there's some possible solution here?[/quote]
Logical OG but computer says 'no'!

I waited a very long time for a decent priced Mesa Walkabout to come up and I love it. If I traded I would be completely amp-less and might wait an age again for another vgc Walkabout to come up ... and with an extra Jazz I would probably still have to sell at a ridiculous bargain-basement price!

[quote name='Huwberry' post='613934' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:12 PM']GUSH.

Want this a lot. If you'd had put this up in a couple of months time, I'd have seriously considered putting in an offer.[/quote]

[quote name='farmer61' post='613957' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:35 PM']OR about 4 weeks ago............arghhhhh![/quote]

Sorry dudes, if it's any consolation, think how Clarky feels :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='613959' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:37 PM']My career as a UN negotiator falls at the first hurdle ....[/quote]

[quote name='Gust0o' post='613963' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:42 PM']Yeah, I don't think you wasted enough billions to make it a success, OldGit - bloody good effort though! :lol:[/quote]

Or perhaps you just underestimated the substantial reserves of ineptitude that myself and Clarky are able to bring to these situations :rolleyes:

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='614086' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:36 PM']Or perhaps you just underestimated the substantial reserves of ineptitude that myself and Clarky are able to bring to these situations :)[/quote]
Oi, cheeky!

But you are right :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' post='614092' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:40 PM']Oi, cheeky!

But you are right :rolleyes:[/quote]

Sorry mate, but you know what I mean. Our project management on this has left something to be desired really. You sold a bass you didn't really want to sell to a bloke who didn't really want to buy it, then you asked if I'd sell it back, I said 'no' for some reason I can't remember so you bought another, then I decide to offer it back to you 'cos I'm only playing fretless and want to buy a Mesa combo which - in a genuine coincidence - it turns out you have but don't want to get rid of.....

It's all like a bad romcom, all it needs is a Labrador puppy.

BTW you'd be played by Owen Wilson and I'd probably be played by that pretty clumsy guy who was shagging Aniston.

Of course, neither of us would get the girl :)

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='614106' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:50 PM']Our project management on this has left something to be desired[/quote]

You know what Sir Alan would say to both of us ....

Oh, and do I have to be played by Owen Wilson? His nose looks like a Ritter

As it's been such a pleasure dealing with the pair of you over the last year or so I wish I could have bought this and brought about a happy conclusion. Haven't had the cash for it recently, though.

Then again, if either of you fancies breaking in a new Sandberg for me, you know where I am

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='614285' date='Oct 1 2009, 10:11 PM']Did either of you think of the obvious solution? Give Clarky his maple back and you sell the rosewood, Chris :)[/quote]
In theory good idea OTPJ but puts all the risk on Chris - after all I had not one single offer despite knocking £200 off the new price

[quote name='Clarky' post='614292' date='Oct 1 2009, 10:18 PM']In theory good idea OTPJ but puts all the risk on Chris - after all I had not one single offer despite knocking £200 off the new price[/quote]

There is that - Also, the new 3TS sunburst is lovely looking. I could sit and look at mine for hours if I wasn't playing it so much!

[quote name='deaver' post='614129' date='Oct 1 2009, 07:17 PM']As it's been such a pleasure dealing with the pair of you over the last year or so I wish I could have bought this and brought about a happy conclusion. Haven't had the cash for it recently, though.

Then again, if either of you fancies breaking in a new Sandberg for me, you know where I am[/quote]

LOL, which model Sandberg are you after :)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='614189' date='Oct 1 2009, 08:13 PM']Thats the funniest thing ive ever seen on here!!!!!!

class[/quote]

I have to agree

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='614285' date='Oct 1 2009, 10:11 PM']Did either of you think of the obvious solution? Give Clarky his maple back and you sell the rosewood, Chris :rolleyes:[/quote]

Mmmm, well, I think I have a 1/1000 bass (for a factory Fender anyway), and I know that anyone who pops down to Beedster Towers to trial it will feel the same. Much as I'd like to help Clarky out, if it didn't sell I wouldn't want to get stuck with a bass that doesn't do it for me the same way. Does that make sense? We did discuss a trade for his maple board Precision but I have two of those already...

[quote name='Clarky' post='614292' date='Oct 1 2009, 10:18 PM']In theory good idea OTPJ but puts all the risk on Chris - after all I had not one single offer despite knocking £200 off the new price[/quote]

Clarky beat me to it :)