Why become a member? ×

Inspiration?

bassboy115

Who was it you saw live or on the Tv when you first started playing that inspired you not to play like them but to get a hell of alot better!!

for me it was when i saw Dave Marks at music live a couple of years ago doing an EBS session! as i said it didnt make me think i wanted to start playing in that style. It just made me think 'God i cant come back here next year unless im a million times better than i am now' i then went and returned a year later a hell of alot better!!!

so who's yours?

Alex

I remember seeing the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Reading festival in 1994. At the time I was in bands playing Metallica and Sisters of Mercy covers.

I'd never heard them before and I was like "wow - you can play bass like that?"

The next day I bought Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic and the TAB book and spent 6 months learning it note for note.

Irronically I hardly play like that at all any more, I got sick of people telling me I was a good bassist because I sounded just like Flea! lol

It was still there best album, everything since has been poor in comparison

My current inspiration is not due to seeing a talanted player peform, but one of my mates rise to being a professional muso with a number one album under his belt, all within 18 months of the band forming.

Happy for him, but if he can do it, I'll give it a bloody good shot, but first I need to practice and improve etc....

Nope, I'm not name dropping.

I've mentioned it in other threads on this forum however quite a few times.

I will however say it's annoying as anything when you're out with friends who you knew before they got "famous" and people keep grabbing them demanding pictures to be taken, as per Saturday night. I'm happy for my mate, but even so, I'm not sure I'd enjoy being in his shoes.

• 3 years later...

My original inspiration was watching the video to Aeroplane by The Red Hot Chillis when i was a kid, Id never ever seen or heard a bass played that way before, that started my interest, but it was years later after knowing friends who were bassists and then a mate convincing me into buying one that i got started.

Now im into Billy Sheehan of Mr Big, and all the virtuoso musicians, as well as bands like Offspring, Nickelback, Soil, all sorts really, even the odd classical piece.

Edited by Joe 'Dingo' Wright

[quote name='Buzz' post='65769' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:16 AM']Nope, I'm not name dropping.

I've mentioned it in other threads on this forum however quite a few times.

I will however say it's annoying as anything when you're out with friends who you knew before they got "famous" and people keep grabbing them demanding pictures to be taken, as per Saturday night. I'm happy for my mate, but even so, I'm not sure I'd enjoy being in his shoes.[/quote]

I reckon its flea :)
Go on admit it, you went for a swift pint with flea :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='65039' date='Sep 24 2007, 09:04 PM']My current inspiration is not due to seeing a talanted player peform, but one of my mates rise to being a professional muso with a number one album under his belt, all within 18 months of the band forming.

Happy for him, but if he can do it, I'll give it a bloody good shot, but first I need to practice and improve etc....[/quote]

You gotta love Justin Bieber.......

Living Sound, a Christian band who played at our school when I was about 11. The band did a set and the whole religious thing went right over my head but the sound of a live band was something else. I took a lot of inspiration from that and started 'noticing' musicians much more from then on until I got a guitar for noodling on at 14 and started playing bass seriously at 17.

I suppose the bassist in "the other" band at school was the first to make me think "I wanna be better than I am". I remember they played house of the rising sun and he did this meandering bass line (not sure it was on the original) and I thought, bugger this root note crap - I wanna do more of that.

In terms of "known" bassists, luckily I was listening to Rush very early on in my development as a bassist and there's no way one couldn't be inspired to be better when listening to Geddy's bass lines.

However, the one musician/bassist that really changed my thinking and made me wanna learn more than just technique (i.e. moving me into learning music) was Stanley Clarke. When I heard School Days that was it for me - game over, liberation to do anything I wanted. Every single day from then on even now I aspire to be better and if I ever have a moment where I think I need inspiration it's Stanley Clarke I got to.