Why become a member? ×

Lemony Fretboard refreshment

TheBlueFalcon

Having received my "shop soiled" Ibanez SR900 and not quite in the condition I expected, there are a couple of things I am hoping I can get some advice on.

The fretboard seems to be looking a little sorry for itself, although the photo does make it look a little bit worse than it really is.

After talking a local Dealer and searching for information, I've ordered some Dunlop Lemon Oil to try and put a little life back into it. Hopefully that will do the trick.

The Elixir strings need to be replaced, as the coating is coming off. I know that you should really only replace one string at a time, but in order to clean/treat/refresh the fretboard I would assume that removing all of the strings is a must. Not knowing the history of the guitar and if the set up is actually correct at the moment, I'm also assuming that losing the current set up isn't really an issue for someone who knows what they are doing. Therefore, I thought it would be best to remove the strings and sort out the fretboard myself and then take it so a professional to get the new strings installed and everything set up correctly.

Does that sound sensible or would I be making a big mistake?

Edited by TheBlueFalcon

I always lemon oil the fretboard when changing strings. One string at a time works fine and the lemon oil should be just what's needed there :rolleyes: Rub it in reasonably heavily with a cloth but not sloshing it around. Leave it for a couple of minutes and then polish off. You may need to do it 2 or 3 times but don't overdo it.

You can always repeat by simply loosening one string at a time if it's needed.

That board looks drier than a witches tit :)

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='606935' date='Sep 23 2009, 06:37 PM']I always lemon oil the fretboard when changing strings. One string at a time works fine and the lemon oil should be just what's needed there :lol: Rub it in reasonably heavily with a cloth but not sloshing it around. Leave it for a couple of minutes and then polish off. You may need to do it 2 or 3 times but don't overdo it.

You can always repeat by simply loosening one string at a time if it's needed.

That board looks drier than a witches tit :)

Peter[/quote]

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice Pete. With the current state, I thought it would be better to remove all the strings and make sure it's taken care of properly before having new strings put on and being set up correctly. Then, in future I will make sure it is done every so often so that it doesn't get back to how it is now.

Being such a n00b I wondered if there is any reason why I shouldn't take all the strings off?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='606967' date='Sep 23 2009, 07:02 PM']Nope, I wouldn't leave them off for long myself. The job can be done just as well one at a time if you're concerned.

[b]I get a quiet satisfaction from lemon oiling a dry board[/b]. Perhaps I'm a little sad :)[/quote]

I thought i was the only one! It's a warm fuzzy feeling when the crusty old lifeless fretboard comes up nice and dark. Aww.....

I wouldn't have any problem taking the strings off, it's getting them back on that concerns me. This is my first bass, so I've never had to do it before. I think I am probably just a little anxious about it, thinking that I might do something wrong. I now get the feeling that it is way easier than I expect and I'm just worrying over nothing.

I lemon oiled my board for the first time recently, just loosened the strings... a bit of oil inevitably got on the strings so I gave them a good wipe down afterwards, which gave the added bonus of making them cleaner and more slippery!

When changing strings, look carefully at how they are done beforehand (assuming they are done well at the moment!). You want to get the string on the correct side of the peg so that it doesn't come off at an angle from the nut slot, and try to wind them downwards so that the string sits lower and gives more of an angle as the string goes over the nut.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='607404' date='Sep 24 2009, 09:19 AM']Just so we can all get off on that 'feeling' we do of course need an 'after' pic to go with the before one.

Waiting with bated breath.[/quote]

Will do. It might be some time next week though. I'm trying to work out the best thing to use to clean the fretbaord with first though. Don't like the idea of using wire wool, so looking for something else. Some people mention Scotch-Brite Pads, but I'm not sure which one.

I would try with just a cloth and lemon oil in the first instance- that should get most of the grot off. If its really filthy a cotton ball with a little lighter fluid works wonders, then follow up with lemon oil. I treated a couple of my basses with this recently and was quite astonished at how easy it was to get the board looking tip-top again.

Hope that helps.:)

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='607622' date='Sep 24 2009, 12:55 PM']I would try with just a cloth and lemon oil in the first instance- that should get most of the grot off. If its really filthy a cotton ball with a little lighter fluid works wonders, then follow up with lemon oil. I treated a couple of my basses with this recently and was quite astonished at how easy it was to get the board looking tip-top again.

Hope that helps.:rolleyes:[/quote]

I don't think this one is particularly grotty, it just hasn't been cared for. I thought that giving it a clean with something first would be a good idea. Maybe I'm just thinking too much!! :)

For light grot, I use a microfibre cloth from Tesco's - in the household supplies, cloths/dusters section. [i]Slightly[/i] dampen cloth with water. Cheap, effective, doesn't scratch. Apply oil after grot removed and board is absolutely dry.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='607622' date='Sep 24 2009, 12:55 PM']I would try with just a cloth and lemon oil in the first instance- that should get most of the grot off. If its really filthy a cotton ball with a little lighter fluid works wonders, then follow up with lemon oil. I treated a couple of my basses with this recently and was quite astonished at how easy it was to get the board looking tip-top again.

Hope that helps.:)[/quote]

+1 Don't go attacking it with anything more vigorous especially if it's new and just dried out. A soft cloth and elbow grease will bring the frets up nicely too.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='609308' date='Sep 26 2009, 03:35 PM']Please be careful with the lighter fuel, accidents can happen[/quote]

:)

If the weather is nice enough, I'll do it outside. Would like to have done it today or tomorrow, but have F1 to watch amongst other things.

If I do it inside I'll fill the bath with water and float the guitar on something in the middle while I work on it!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='609311' date='Sep 26 2009, 03:39 PM']On a more serious note, does lemon oil work OK on ebony?[/quote]

As far as I have found it can be used on any natural wood. Maple is about the only one that is a no-no, but I think because it's normally sealed/coated.

Edited by TheBlueFalcon

[quote name='TheBlueFalcon' post='609374' date='Sep 26 2009, 04:56 PM']:)

If the weather is nice enough, I'll do it outside. Would like to have done it today or tomorrow, but have F1 to watch amongst other things.

If I do it inside I'll fill the bath with water and float the guitar on something in the middle while I work on it!! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Then if it catches fire you can at least feel that you've given the bass a proper Viking funeral. :lol: