Why become a member? ×

Asking for PM offers in the "For Sale" section.

rjb

I just think its a bad way to go about selling things.

Primarily because I enver even bother PM'img offers to people who won't be upfront and name their price. I have bought basses through the sales pages in the past by clicking a thread about a bass that sounds cool and then seeing the price and thinking that it might well be worth picking up. If I don't see a price, I won't bother looking into it any further. I rarely set out to buy a bass, rather I spot something I like the look of with a price that I consider reasonable and I have a think about buying it. If the seller isn't forthcoming with a price in the thread, I'm just too lazy to bother asking!

I have sold things both ways - I actually chose to ask for PMs recently not to be 'un-man' (man...) or 'underhand' but because previous posts encouraged arrays of general comments 'ooh thats nice' etc or someone telling me they could get it cheaper elsewhere and other such time-slaughtering comments. I figure if you're really interested in an item then you'll approach the person. Or is this a complaint from bargain hunters?

Ultimately the difference between a PM or not is a matter of seconds - do you want to ask or not? It doesn't have to be 'underhand' and if it is, well, don't buy.

I know if I used to see gear advertised as POA I'd be inclined to do my research first, but I'd shy away mostly as it was music sales staff who I'd be dealing with, trying to sell sell sell, whereas on forums its usually just a direct sale.

Also, many is the time someone has something advertised with price, and the following reply says 'PM'd!!!' - is there a difference therefore? I mean if you pmd them to make an alternative offer it's little difference from asking the price in the first place and making an offer after.

Shall I run for cover now?

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='594166' date='Sep 9 2009, 06:47 PM']*Gentle sigh* Life is easy, people make it complicated.

The only [b]rule [/b]that needs to be in place is "[b]Be honest [/b]in your dealings while making use of this website". I don't see that sellers can be under [b]any obligation [/b]to pander to the whims and vagaries of potential customers preferences for the format of an advert or the manner in which the seller wishes to conduct their sale. As Ped rightly says above, there's a divide of opinion expressed throughout this thread which pretty much precludes any further rules without coming down in favour of any one side or the other.

If anything all that's needed is a handy guide as to how to maximise your sale's exposure and minimise the more obvious queries from potential customers, but just that - a guide. Otherwise [i]every [/i]for sale posting will have to be examined by a Mod to ensure it has adhered to any rules (at this point I'll refer you, dear reader, to my first sentence in this posting :rolleyes: )

If sellers want to limit their potential audience, [i]or simply prefer conducting their sale a particular way[/i], then us potential customers shouldn't be dictating how they go about it. Their likelihood of a sale and the final price will stand or fall by the seller's decision.[/quote]
Agree 100%. Case closed :)

Haven't read the thread (half-time and in a rush) but wanted to mention that, given ebay's recent new rule proliferation, it's great to have a place to buy and sell that's not ridden with rules and complexity. This site generally polices itself very well and I think it would be a shame if that changed. Let's face it, I've used the forum in question more than most so have an informed opinion :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='593599' date='Sep 9 2009, 09:07 AM']Its easy to find a market value for 90% or more of the basses for sale on BassChat (eBay, Gumtree, others). In these cases I agree a firm price should be stated, otherwise it looks uncommitted on the part of the seller (and frankly a bit spivvy). I can see the argument for PM offers if the bass in question is very difficult to value (due to scarcity, mods, damage etc) - but as stated that does not apply to the vast majority of basses for sale through this forum.[/quote]
I agree with this.

I've cheerfully been holding forth on this subject, sniffily saying I don't bother with PM Offer ads, blah blah blah.

Have just remembered that the only time I've offered a bass for sale here (a very old, cheapo Vantage), I asked for PM'd offers (as I had no idea what it was worth).

Oops. That'll teach me.

Edited by skankdelvar

Gentlemen relax. Having patented the Deav-O-Meter[sup]TM[/sup] earlier in the thread and marketed it to a popular forum member I have received the following unsolicited testimonial:

[i]"I'm totally satisfied! I've saved thousands, added two inches and met the woman of my dreams! Thanks Deaver!" - Mr K, Banbury[/i]

Guaranteed results for non-priced listings. PM me for licence details.

[quote name='Beedster' post='594284' date='Sep 9 2009, 08:50 PM']Haven't read the thread (half-time and in a rush) but wanted to mention that, given ebay's recent new rule proliferation, it's great to have a place to buy and sell that's not ridden with rules and complexity. This site generally polices itself very well and I think it would be a shame if that changed. Let's face it, I've used the forum in question more than most so have an informed opinion :)[/quote]

Ere Chris, is that you bidding on my amp on ebay? :rolleyes: