Why become a member? ×

EH is building a bass (sort of)

EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='616561' date='Oct 4 2009, 03:33 PM']i think i've come to realise that i should have just bought a body off f***ing warmoth for all the good this has ended up being.[/quote]

Or just a Musicman... :)

I am sure it will work out.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='616791' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:03 PM']Or just a Musicman... :)[/quote]

Don't say that! I would have had £775 at one point...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59983"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59983[/url]

D: I think i'm going to have a breakdown.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Don't get down if you're not happy with it Eddie, I had to take all the laquer off my project and do it again when I spotted a ding I'd missed.
Spend some time finishing it, I like the way it's going, really 60's style I think. Like a burns or a Vox.

Andy

Edited by soopercrip

[quote name='soopercrip' post='617104' date='Oct 5 2009, 08:34 AM']Don't get down if you're not happy with it Eddie, I had to take all the laquer off my project and do it again when I spotted a ding I'd missed.
Spend some time finishing it, I like the way it's going, really 60's style I think. Like a burns or a Vox.

Andy[/quote]

Haha 60s style, with EMG electronics and black hardware :). Yes i'm sure i can sort it out but it'll take a lot of filler and i'll probably have to order new screws as well because i have a feeling these ones aren't going to take much more screwing and unscrewing. That's the other terrible problem, 2 of the pickup screws actually snapped off in the cavity, not the heads, the f***ing shafts! Really annoying because now there's no chance of sticking new screws down there at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Right well why i didn't just do this b4 i have no idea. I got a jazz body off tinternet and painted it blue and the headstock blue as well. Looks okay but to be honest the paintjob is terrible. Runs, Tiger striping, various markings etc. Plus i didn't wetsand it quite flat enough and in other places there is white where i managed to sand through the topcoat round the edges. But i think i could have just about got away with it had it not been for the bloody drips that went on down both horns. I managed to cover up one of them with the strap button but there are 2 ghastly white marks on both the lower horn and the top of the neck pocket which is RRI. I still wish i'd just bought that musicman but this is a bit of an improvement, i just should have done this instead of wasting all that money on the body blank.

• 3 months later...

Long time no update but I made a couple of adjustments on this bass. The scale length was actually too short. No idea how the hell i managed that :) but i had to put the bridge back a bit so now 2 awful marks, plus the indentation in the finish where the bridge once was which is rather annoying. It's at least hopefully the right scale length now though. I also ordered a lace sensor pickup for the front/neck position because i didn't feel like wasting too much more money on it. Also it seemed like it might be good. So once i've installed that if you're lucky (or unlucky however you look at it lolz) there will be pics and maybe a soundclip or 2. One other thing, with all this sunny weather we've been having it's really been showing up just how terrible the finish is on this bass lolz. This would have been about the perfect time to paint it to be honest so anyone thinking of painting a bass, good idea to get on with it now.

Edited by EdwardHimself

New pickup. A lace sensor. I only really need one pickup at the moment, i might get another one later:

Apols. for the dog.

I love it when pickups come with wiring diagrams. They're just so useful!:

btw i fixed the annoying problem with the bridge. Put it back a bit but that STILL wasn't enough for the low "C" string so i ended up taking matters into my own hands and simply shoving a self-tapper in the string through hole so i could put the saddle back further! I still had to put it as far back as that would go even then and it's pretty much okay now in terms of intonation. So just goes to show kids, if you're tuning lower down then make sure you compensate by making the bridge a bit longer than the "quoted" scale length. Sorry to yap on like this lolz.

[quote name='silddx' post='886610' date='Jul 5 2010, 07:41 PM']Really LOL funny thread, I like your style Edward, and applaud you for taking on such an ambitious project :) I don't have the equipment or the balls, I just get someone else to do things with the wood.

Nice one![/quote]

LOLZ thanks mate. Believe you me if i could afford a Jon Shuker then i would get him to do it, but otherwise I really have to take matters into my own hands :rolleyes:

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='887425' date='Jul 6 2010, 03:38 PM']This is what I like about us East Yorkshire types. Get stuck in an' sod consequences. Can't wait to hear how it sounds. Really like the blue.[/quote]

I did a video ages ago but it took about 10 years to upload to youtube and i didn't particularly feel like having a bunch of kids in America telling me how terrible i am on bass. Besides, an audio recording is better. I'll get one up soon.

Brilliant thread EH. I've been following it for a while now. The furthest I would have got is to have drawn out a shoddy outline of a bass I might like (although it wouldn't have looked even close) and then thrown said drawing in the back of a draw with my 'dreams' and to-do list.
All power to your power tools. :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='887599' date='Jul 6 2010, 06:06 PM']Brilliant thread EH. I've been following it for a while now. The furthest I would have got is to have drawn out a shoddy outline of a bass I might like (although it wouldn't have looked even close) and then thrown said drawing in the back of a draw with my 'dreams' and to-do list.
All power to your power tools. :)[/quote]

Thanks Marvin. I must say i do have an ever growing list of things i am yet to achieve myself.

• 2 months later...

Right here are the piccies:

Looks nicer overall now that it's finished.

A pic to show you just how bad it is in detail. The overall effect is pretty good though i think.

This bridge pickup sounds really nice. The low end is quite a bit tighter on this position so as you can see I've been using it with the bridge on full and the neck slightly rolled off so it has that tight sounding low end, but still with the warmth of the neck position as well for the higher frequencies. These things sound really great, almost like active pickups. Having said that they're not very loud, but this is compared to my other bass which is a peavey with soapbar pickups and an 18v preamp. Plus low gain=low magnetic pull on the strings. Ok well since they sound different now I guess i'll have to do another recording later. Plus I've got an actual bass amp now lolz.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='958320' date='Sep 16 2010, 01:58 PM']It looks cool man. However, every time I look at the headstock I think SWASTIKA for a second. Perhaps there's a different way to put E and H together?[/quote]

Hmm never noticed that before. It's probably just because of the orientation of the picture. Normally it would be horizontal. Besides the swastika is an ancient Bhuddist Peace symbol. It's about time we took it back from the Nazis lolz.

Edited by EdwardHimself