Why become a member? ×

EH is building a bass (sort of)

EdwardHimself

Hi there i've got some wood:

It's a bit of ash which i really should have had glued and planed by the shop. I'll have to find some woodshop to do it now probably, unless i could do it by hand. Dunno if i can though. Might as well give it a go though eh?

This is the hardware. On the left is a hipshot bridge, tuner bushings and neck mounting bolts and ferrules. I ordered this shizzle from guitarpartsresource.com in the US and i was very satisfied with the delivery, said it would take 2-4 weeks but it only took 5 days. No import charges either as it "only cost $25" ahem...

I'm so glad i got those tuner bushings as it was getting on my nerves only having 2!

So what i have to do is sort out the body and buy some electronics and pickups. After i've sorted out the gluing and planing it should be a simple case of cutting out the rough shape with a saw and sanding it down nice and smooth, then routing out the neck, pickup and electronics cavities. I'm reckoning on a musicman style pickup and active 3band eq. Maybe a soapbar for the neck but that's for later.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Not by hand matey, you will never get a good enough edge. Needs to be machine planed edged and thicknessed
for a good joint (maybe even biscuit joined, I did). And at least 6 cramps to hold it while it glues up. Alternating the cramps
above and below to avoid cupping.
Rough shaping with a bandsaw, and taking down close to size with a belt sander.
Then it's hand stuff.
Andy

[quote name='soopercrip' post='592446' date='Sep 7 2009, 08:59 PM']Not by hand matey, you will never get a good enough edge. Needs to be machine planed edged and thicknessed
for a good joint (maybe even biscuit joined, I did). And at least 6 cramps to hold it while it glues up. Alternating the cramps
above and below to avoid cupping.
Rough shaping with a bandsaw, and taking down close to size with a belt sander.
Then it's hand stuff.
Andy[/quote]

Okay fine i'm going to try and find a woodshop tomorrow who will do it for me. I know you don't have to biscuit joint it or anything but i might do something like that just to make it a bit stronger. I'll get 6 cramps at some point.

[quote]This is one to watch.
No offense, but lots of people think it is easy to do this sort of thing. Not many ( I would guess 5% ) end up playable or even finished.
Good luck and prove me wrong!!!![/quote]

Well i think i have a good idea of what i'm doing and apart from the planer i have pretty much all the tools i need to do it. I've not actually built a body before but hell we all have to start somewhere?

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='cheddatom' post='592713' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:35 AM']good luck.... Why do you have to glue anything? It looks like that peice is big enough for a body.[/quote]

Yeah but it came in 2 pieces. I just put one on top of the other to show how it would look when it's glued together. I might go to jewsons and see if they've got a planer there. I know you said i should try a smaller carpenters but really i'd rather pay a bit more than spend hours trawling through the phonebook looking for some random shop tucked away in the countryside.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Hi Eddie
I think Jewsons might have an issue with machining timber that isn't theirs, local one in Brid is like that.
Maybe try ringing these [url="http://www.heritagejoiners.com/contact.php"]http://www.heritagejoiners.com/contact.php[/url] and asking if they will do it for you.
At worst they can only say no mate
Andy

[quote name='soopercrip' post='593056' date='Sep 8 2009, 05:00 PM']Hi Eddie
I think Jewsons might have an issue with machining timber that isn't theirs, local one in Brid is like that.
Maybe try ringing these [url="http://www.heritagejoiners.com/contact.php"]http://www.heritagejoiners.com/contact.php[/url] and asking if they will do it for you.
At worst they can only say no mate
Andy[/quote]

well i've already (hopefully) found a place that will do it for me but i will keep that in mind thanks.

Well i've finally got it planed and thicknessed. The good news is that we went down to leven to a shop run by some bloke called brian fell and he ran it through the planer/thicknesser for free. So now it's nice and smooth on the top and bottom and exactly 45mm which is just over 1 3/4". Here's a little piccy:

I whapped the straightedge clamp on there to get it together for the time being. I've ordered some clamps. £31. Oh well i suppose i'll just have to build another bass at this rate! I also ordered the pickups and electronics. I know how you lot like to have posh things like bartolini or nordstrand pickups on your basses but i'm just going to get some old Kentucky-Fried plebbite EMG MMTW and BQC Equalizer.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='599343' date='Sep 15 2009, 03:57 PM']Well i've finally got it planed and thicknessed. The good news is that we went down to leven to a shop run by some bloke called brian fell and he ran it through the planer/thicknesser for free. So now it's nice and smooth on the top and bottom and exactly 45mm which is just over 1 3/4". Here's a little piccy:

I whapped the straightedge clamp on there to get it together for the time being. I'm probably going to have to buy some actual clamps. Probably some F clamps or something.[/quote]

Hi Eddie
Looks good mate
try these www.transtools.co.uk for cramps mate, they have some a bit cheaper, maybe not best quality but adequate for the Job.
Based at Hunmanby near Scarborough
They are also on ebay.
Andy

[quote name='soopercrip' post='599351' date='Sep 15 2009, 04:05 PM']Hi Eddie
Looks good mate
try these www.transtools.co.uk for cramps mate, they have some a bit cheaper, maybe not best quality but adequate for the Job.
Based at Hunmanby near Scarborough
They are also on ebay.
Andy[/quote]

well i've already bought them now, they look like they're okay quality and only like £5.15 each for 600mm so i suppose that's alright.

Hi there lads and lasses i've got my knobs and pickups.

I'm really f***ing pissed off with the knobs though because they're the wrong size for the EMG pots which is really annoying because they're really nice looking, especially compared to the crappy plastic things you get with the EMG electronics. And yes i know there are some stains on the wood but i'm not too bothered as i'm going to paint it anyway.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Hi
Sorry if this might appear patronising but I notice you say it is "nice and smooth" , but it has "marks" and you are going to paint over them.
I assume you will progressively fine sand it before painting anyway?
Any small imperfections that may not appear noticable on bare wood can show right up once it has paint/lacquer on it: I don't necessarily mean those marks which I'm sure will sand out but any other slight grain imperfections.

I know all this from bitter personal experience and wish I had been a bit more diligent!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='607098' date='Sep 23 2009, 09:01 PM']Hi
Sorry if this might appear patronising but I notice you say it is "nice and smooth" , but it has "marks" and you are going to paint over them.
I assume you will progressively fine sand it before painting anyway?
Any small imperfections that may not appear noticable on bare wood can show right up once it has paint/lacquer on it: I don't necessarily mean those marks which I'm sure will sand out but any other slight grain imperfections.

I know all this from bitter personal experience and wish I had been a bit more diligent![/quote]

Yeah that is what i'm going to do, i'm thinking some of it might have stained into the wood but we'll see.

[quote]Could you not use a filler primer. That will fill any minor holes scratches and grain and a simple sand to finish will be all that is required[/quote]

I'm planning on doing that actually. The problem with leaving it as is though is that the join line between the 2 pieces of the wood isn't perfect to be honest, it's not a huge descrepency but you can see it. Well i might have a look at it once i've done the primer/grain filler and depending on whether i'm satisfied with how it looks i'll either leave it or stick a solid paint finish above it.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Well i've got the body glued up now and so then i drew on a rough outline of the bass design on the body.

i then routed out the front, i know what you're thinking "is he crazy?" well i figured it makes sticking the clamp on a lot easier so i can do a proper outline of what needs to be routed.

I need to fill in a few bits and that so i really think a wood finish is probably out of the question tbh. Well that's it for now. Terrible i know but whatever.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='612990' date='Sep 30 2009, 02:28 PM']Kudos for attempting this - experiential learning in action![/quote]

What are you trying to say!? :) only joking yeah this is pretty much just me learning as i go along. I've done a bit of woodwork before but not this sort of scale, i do have some idea of what i'm supposed to be doing though.