Why become a member? ×

Original Steinberger basses vs Spirit

RichMcGill

This thread has got me all melancholy. I first saw and heard a Steinberger at the reading festival in '79 (I think) when Tony Levin used a fretless in Peter Gabriel's band. I wanted one from that moment on and there was a time not long ago when I owned a pair of early L2s – one fretted, one fretless – both in pretty good condition. They were unique and wonderful instruments and I'll regret forever letting them go.

Phil

[quote name='martthebass' post='588542' date='Sep 3 2009, 12:53 PM']Thanks for that info B.

I thought about one of the Synapses but in the end went for OTPJ's old Streamline.

These are fairly lightweight but still feel substantial (7lbs on a small body) but balance well. Does anybody know if these are wooden cored?
Like the old Steinys these feel 'hard to break'.[/quote]
I nearly ordered a Streamline. But Rob told me it was Precision width nut (which I can't get on with) and couldn't do a Jazz width. I still really fancy one though.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='589082' date='Sep 3 2009, 08:36 PM']What are your opinions of this.......?[/quote]

Lovely !

dont think ive seen a pj config before .. really tight to the bridge as well , do you anchor on the p ? ooer , think i might need a thumb rest ..

Wooden f/board ? or phenolic ?

Love the binding too, like a dinner suit ! tuxedo berger maybe ?

And so nice to steinys being brought out dusted off and displayed , just to fuel my gas ....only played a couple L2 and XL but allways , allway impressed .

Apols to the OP for going slightly off topic ..

Gary
v8

If you want to learn about Steinberger basses, this is probably the best site to visit [url="http://www.steinbergerworld.com/"]http://www.steinbergerworld.com/[/url]

One thing I noticed above was that a couple of people were using the L2 and XL-2 tags incorrectly. The L2 is one of the original Steinberger models (there was an L1, H2 and H1 - L and H designating the impedence of the pickups, the number being the number of pickups. You can read more about it on the site above). The L2 proved to be the most popular, and was "upgraded" to the XL2 around 1984.

I currently own an L2, and I've also owned an XL-2. As stated, they're fairly amazing instruments. I know a few people have commented on this, but I thought the use of the word "fragile" in relation to a Steinberger was quite funny. Seriously, they're practically indestructible. One of the things they used to do when showing the bass to potential customers was to place the bass as a bridge between 2 chairs, then get someone to stand on the neck. Not only was there no damage, but the thing stayed in tune. I rarely ever need to tune my L2, as it's so stable it simply stays in tune all the time.

I wouldn't say they're for everybody, and it could be argued that the sound is slightly dated, but they really are an amazing instrument nonetheless. As for comparing one to a Spirit, I guess it comes down to what you're looking for. If you're happy with the Spirit, maybe a move over to an original Steinberger isn't necessary. I think it's something you really need to try before you buy one.

Edited by bassaussie

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='589082' date='Sep 3 2009, 08:36 PM']What are your opinions of this.......?[/quote]
Is that one of the newer, cheaper models or one of the original "bodied" Steinbergers that had a body designed by Roger Giffen?

[quote name='silddx' post='589767' date='Sep 4 2009, 03:33 PM']I nearly ordered a Streamline. But Rob told me it was Precision width nut (which I can't get on with) and couldn't do a Jazz width. I still really fancy one though.[/quote]

Mines 42mm at the nut. I find the profile fast and comfortable and I played Jazzes exclusively for years. You should try one S - it might suprise you.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='589976' date='Sep 4 2009, 06:14 PM']If you want to learn about Steinberger basses, this is probably the best site to visit [url="http://www.steinbergerworld.com/"]http://www.steinbergerworld.com/[/url]

One thing I noticed above was that a couple of people were using the L2 and XL-2 tags incorrectly. The L2 is one of the original Steinberger models (there was an L1, H2 and H1 - L and H designating the impedence of the pickups, the number being the number of pickups. You can read more about it on the site above). The L2 proved to be the most popular, and was "upgraded" to the XL2 around 1984.

I currently own an L2, and I've also owned an XL-2. As stated, they're fairly amazing instruments. I know a few people have commented on this, but I thought the use of the word "fragile" in relation to a Steinberger was quite funny. Seriously, they're practically indestructible. One of the things they used to do when showing the bass to potential customers was to place the bass as a bridge between 2 chairs, then get someone to stand on the neck. Not only was there no damage, but the thing stayed in tune. I rarely ever need to tune my L2, as it's so stable it simply stays in tune all the time.

I wouldn't say they're for everybody, and it could be argued that the sound is slightly dated, but they really are an amazing instrument nonetheless. As for comparing one to a Spirit, I guess it comes down to what you're looking for. If you're happy with the Spirit, maybe a move over to an original Steinberger isn't necessary. I think it's something you really need to try before you buy one.[/quote]

As I said several times in this thread, never touched L2 or XL-2 or similar Steinberger, but I seen some absolutely horrendous pictures of these with corners missing, looking rather like the sort of damage one sees in old concrete-based council houses. I wish I'd saved a link to post it up to illustrate. Never seen anything remotely similar in a wooden bass or guitar, but then they're very different materials. Maybe proving how tough they are by hitting walls and playing cricket is not best practice?

[quote name='v8bass' post='589870' date='Sep 4 2009, 05:04 PM']Lovely !

dont think ive seen a pj config before .. really tight to the bridge as well , do you anchor on the p ? ooer , think i might need a thumb rest ..

Wooden f/board ? or phenolic ?

Love the binding too, like a dinner suit ! tuxedo berger maybe ?

And so nice to steinys being brought out dusted off and displayed , just to fuel my gas ....only played a couple L2 and XL but allways , allway impressed .

Apols to the OP for going slightly off topic ..

Cheers! I do anchor ,but it's great for pick playing as well.It's a phenolic neck. It's a custom xl2/3.
(Didn't know it was custom when I got it) After a transtrem or white original cricket bat. :)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='587909' date='Sep 2 2009, 08:26 PM']I want to sell mine but I'm unsure what to ask. I would like a minimum of £2000, as the serial number is 610. However, I can't decide what to do, as the price amy suddenly rocket.[/quote]

You'll be lucky to sell it for that in this recession.

[quote name='RichMcGill' post='590209' date='Sep 4 2009, 09:29 PM']As I said several times in this thread, never touched L2 or XL-2 or similar Steinberger, but I seen some absolutely horrendous pictures of these with corners missing, looking rather like the sort of damage one sees in old concrete-based council houses. I wish I'd saved a link to post it up to illustrate. Never seen anything remotely similar in a wooden bass or guitar, but then they're very different materials. Maybe proving how tough they are by hitting walls and playing cricket is not best practice?[/quote]

Actually, I think I know the pictures you're talking of. I seem to recall one bass I saw had been dropped down a flight of concrete stairs at the back of gig. So I'll just pass on my experience, being that they're very strong and can handle a lot of abuse.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='590213' date='Sep 4 2009, 10:36 PM']You'll be lucky to sell it for that in this recession.[/quote]

I'm going to hang on until it's worth more money. In the States, on ebay, they seem to be asking silly money.

Mine's an L2. If anyone's got The Ultimate Guitar Book by Tony Bacon, mine is the actual one pictured.

For anyone considering buying one, the boomerang strap system works amazingly well, but takes some getting used to. Also, although it has a great slap sound, you will find it difficult to get a burpy back-pickup Jaco sound unless you EQ your amp.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='587919' date='Sep 2 2009, 08:33 PM']The last ones on here fetched £1250 to £1500 so it would have be an asbolute minter for someone to pay £2k for it....

Thats not to say that someone wouldnt but you might have to wait a very long time.[/quote]

Here's one in the good ole US of A ending in 2 days time [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140343621231&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Here's a funny story - I bought an XL-2 in San Francisco a couple of years ago for 400 quid...

It was missing the pivot on the back (which I replaced with a Steinberger designed 'boomerang') but was still in pretty good nick. The guy selling it had bought it for next to nothing in the nineties...

It was a wonderful feeling bass with a huge, clean tone - very piano like, with endless sustain. The neck was narrow and deep (apparently Stanley Clarke advised Steinberger on the profile) and very comfortable.

It was heavy in that it was dense, but the body was tiny, so there were no fatigue issues. It was a great fun bass but I sold it to make a profit to invest in a nice j bass. I don't really regret selling it apart from not being able to say I own a bit of eighties retro design - I just didn't really need what it offered tonally. In retrospect I'm glad I got the Steiny thing out of my system. They are great, but they certainly don't replace a good P or J, which have more tonal character in my opinion.

Tonewise, they are an acquired taste in rock - while people like Geddy and Sting used Steinbergers at certain points their tone was a bit hifi and vanilla in my opinion. For Dub, though, they are f***ing amazing - just ask Robby Shakespeare or Bill Laswell! There is so much lo end in a Steinie.

And to answer your original question - the reissues and old skool lookalikes are absolutely nothing like the original Steinies in tone or feel.

Nick

• Like 2

• 13 years later...

It's been very interesting reading all these experiences of these basses, the XL-2, the XT-2, the Status Streamline and even the Synapse.

My original intension was to find a bass I could travel with, leaving my prized Fenders, self-made Jazz & Stingray 5 at home. I considered taking my Ibanez GSR, the neck in a hard trombone case, but the body took up too much space in my suitcase. So a Steinburger looks like a good option, except now I know the L-2s are one piece! And maybe the XT-2s are lacking in tone and sustain. A modern version like a Status or Synapse may be preferable. To cap it all, I'm left handed!

As I just need to keep my hand in whilst on holiday a 2nd hand XT-2 may be the sensible option (I already have 6 great Basses!). If I take fewer clothes on holiday my Ibanez body fits in quite well & I like the feel & sound of that bass.

Decisions, decisions....

Jonathan

16908045465643213135797767062613.jpg

16908045912581217387967032440187.jpg

Edited by JonnyCumbo
spelling mistake

XT2s and XT25s are available LH new from Thomann. Don't forget the prices they list incl 19% VAT which you don't need to pay. Shipping is about $A200. New or used LH units are very rare.

Make a strap pin extender, a 1/2 hr $10 job to make it hang correctly. The pickups are OK, but guitar HBs fit and many sound excellent like the Wilde L90 and L500 work well in this application. Several builders on TB have used them. 7 string guitar HBs fit the 25s. Tone is personal and I've used the woodbergers live, not perfect, but good enough.

They are 98cm long unbagged and are less bulky than a trombone case and other bag for a neck off bass will be. I've travelled with my XL2 and woodbergers a lot. Just beware that shotgun bags, which are cheap and fit perfectly and are well padded can bring some looks in airports, but my guitarist has travelled with my Spirit guitar a lot internationally with no issues in the factory bag.

If you intend to use a conventional bass neck off, you'd probably be best to add inserts into the neck to facilitate regular on/off cycles similar to Klos with their CF acoustic guitars to save stripping out the neck.

Streamlines and Synapses are expensive now, especially the former, so an XT2 will be much cheaper.

1 hour ago, crazycloud said:

XT2s and XT25s are available LH new from Thomann. Don't forget the prices they list incl 19% VAT which you don't need to pay. Shipping is about $A200. New or used LH units are very rare.

Make a strap pin extender, a 1/2 hr $10 job to make it hang correctly. The pickups are OK, but guitar HBs fit and many sound excellent like the Wilde L90 and L500 work well in this application. Several builders on TB have used them. 7 string guitar HBs fit the 25s. Tone is personal and I've used the woodbergers live, not perfect, but good enough.

They are 98cm long unbagged and are less bulky than a trombone case and other bag for a neck off bass will be. I've travelled with my XL2 and woodbergers a lot. Just beware that shotgun bags, which are cheap and fit perfectly and are well padded can bring some looks in airports, but my guitarist has travelled with my Spirit guitar a lot internationally with no issues in the factory bag.

If you intend to use a conventional bass neck off, you'd probably be best to add inserts into the neck to facilitate regular on/off cycles similar to Klos with their CF acoustic guitars to save stripping out the neck.

Streamlines and Synapses are expensive now, especially the former, so an XT2 will be much cheaper.

Gee, thanks for all that @crazycloud, and especially about neck inserts. I've seen issues with frequently removed necks before. It's only likely to happen twice each year with me; at each end of the holiday. If I needed to travel with a Bass for gigging, I'd use a proper hard flight case. I know someone in Perth who makes carbon fibre flight cases. A luthier colleague put his guitar in one and jumped up & down on it. Not a dent.

Thanks for the heads up on Streamlines & Synapses.

Jonny

PS. I should try to build my own headless, slim bodied bass, maybe. With guidance I built a great J Bass.

Edited by JonnyCumbo
Forgot to say something.

10 hours ago, JonnyCumbo said:

I should try to build my own headless, slim bodied bass

I have the wood for this in my carport loft, for at least 4.

If you're looking for an XT2 style bass, I have 2 I'm thinking about moving on, both 4s, as I seldom use 4s any more. I'm on the East Coast not far from BrisVegas.

PS: There's no U in Steinberger.

Last time I visited Switzerland, I detached the Status neck from the body, and packed the parts to my suitcase. I have had bad experience while flying there, so decided to keep the bass beside me. As @JonnyCumbo mentioned, neck inserts are great!

After the flight and attaching the neck (in minutes), the tuning changed very little during the tour. Have to say I love Status carbon necks, but the current availability is a nightmare. I wish someone will continue Rob's impeccable work.