Why become a member? ×

Argent; bass player God Gave Rock n' Roll...?

thebeat

As a young keyboard player I bought the live Argent double album "Encore" many years ago when I found it cheap. Very mixed, to be honest, but some great moments. No one's mentioned Ballard's ballad (you see what I did there?) "I don't believe in miracles" or Rod Argent's "Time of the season" (originally for the Zombies?) - both quality songs imho. But there's some real drek in there too, "The Coming of Kahoutek" being a prime example of Prog Rock Fail.

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='OldGit' post='587213' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:43 AM'].......... No mention of moon june croon spoon?
:)[/quote]

Talking of Bing - I watched the Les Paul thing on Beeb4 last night - I never realised he did the guitar solo on 'long long time'. Now THAT's a guitar solo.

QUOTE (Clarky @ Sep 1 2009, 08:33 PM)[i]
I quite like the really hammy Kiss version on Kiss Alive III! And Gene Simmons didn't have too much of an image problem, or height problem in those stack heels [/i]QUOTE

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='586888' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:47 PM']:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I've never understood how anyone could take Kiss seriously. Or take them at all in fact. Sorry guys. IMHO.[/quote]

They never were meant to be taken seriously. It's all about a thing called 'entertainment'.... :lol:
.....and very successful they've been at it too :)

Getting back to the original 'Argent' version.... very cheesy but GREAT band nonetheless. There's no knocking Russ Ballard etc....

[quote name='thebeat' post='586854' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:25 PM']Now, sorry if this causes any offence to either; a) the vertically challenged amongst us, or :lol: Argent fans, or c) vertically challenged argent fans...but i'm sorry, not only is the song itself absolute sh*te and verging on the comical, but the guy who plays bass on it looks like a demented Munchkin on speed....i speak of course about the Old Grey Whistle Test Vol 2 version in all it's pythonesque glory :lol: You should really have look if only to re-affirm just how important image is :)[/quote]

Back to teh orginal topic ..

One of the benefits of being a bass player for those of us not gifted in the looks/height/thinness department is that peopel generally don't notice us :rolleyes:

Thank Gawd ....

As for the digs at Kiss well they're not my faves but they are very good at what they do. When people ask Simmons about 'selling out' he usually replies along the lines of 'Sure, we sell out most of our gigs'.
Back to OP I don't mind Argent at all, Russ Ballard wrote Rainbow's Since You've Been Gone which lots might hate but it's a classic of its genre.

[quote name='OldGit' post='587857' date='Sep 2 2009, 07:35 PM']My 11 year old just wondered by singing God gave rock and roll to you ...
Weird or what?

Apparently he heard it on the radio this morning but he already knew it from somewhere ..[/quote]

I must admit to actually quite liking Hold Your Head Up when i was a biker and mostly into cock rock...and if i'm really honest i may even have sang along to God Gave...,on occasion...but it was almost 30 yrs ago and I was drunk a lot then.
Furthermore, some of my biker mates were in a pub band and called themselves Talon :) they used to cover Argent and others of their ilk and i may have even done a bit of Quo type headbanging to their version...it was more seeing the diminutive bass player and the posing drummer that caused me mirth...you got to admit that Jim Rodford does look demented and the drummer looks like he would eat himself if he was chocolate.

Saying all that, it [i][b]is[/b][/i], a [i][b]very[/b][/i] cheesy song. And yes, Russ Ballard did indeed write Since You've Been Gone but Rainbow were a lot better looking than Argent and had cooler songs like Kill the King... much better band in my opinion

Edited by thebeat

[quote name='thebeat' post='588023' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:43 PM']I must admit to actually quite liking Hold Your Head Up when i was a biker and mostly into cock rock...and if i'm really honest i may even have sang along to God Gave...,on occasion...but it was almost 30 yrs ago and I was drunk a lot then.
Furthermore, some of my biker mates were in a pub band and called themselves Talon :rolleyes: they used to cover Argent and others of their ilk and i may have even done a bit of Quo type headbanging to their version...it was more seeing the diminutive bass player and the posing drummer that caused me mirth...you got to admit that Jim Rodford does look demented and the drummer looks like he would eat himself if he was chocolate.

Saying all that, it [i][b]is[/b][/i], a [i][b]very[/b][/i] cheesy song. And yes, Russ Ballard did indeed write Since You've Been Gone but Rainbow were a lot better looking than Argent and had cooler songs like Kill the King... much better band in my opinion[/quote]

I guess that's what you get if you over light the rhythm section in a TV studio :)