Why become a member? ×

5 String bass...

Zoe_BillySheehan

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='584545' date='Aug 29 2009, 03:26 PM']I've borrowed a 5 string from my dads guitarist.

and I've been playing through some stuff like 'Rage against the machine' and 'Stone sour'
i'd like some more suggestions..

I know you can just use the 5th B in other songs...

but i'd like some songs that are usually played on a 5 string, or a 4 string tuned to BEAD.

Z
x[/quote]

You a fan of Evanescence? 'Bring me to Life' is fun. And it uses all 5 strings.

(Great to see you back btw)

Andy

Edited by leftybassman392

If you like Chaka Khan then "Chaka Khan", "Naughty" and "What Cha Gonna Do For Me" have got some killer bass lines. Anthony Jackson plays a Fender tuned C-F-Bb-Eb, but there's also Marcus Miller, Abe Laboriel and the fantastic Willie Weeks. A guy on the internet called Stevie Glasgow has brilliant transcriptions on his website, should you want to tackle some reading too. Stain by Living Colour has some great tracks (Doug Wimbish gets an amazing grinding tone out of his Spectors).

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='584545' date='Aug 29 2009, 03:26 PM']but i'd like some songs that are usually played on a 5 string, or a 4 string tuned to BEAD.

Z
x[/quote]

Misery Business by Paramore goes well on a 5. It's originally in something bizarre like dropped C# on a 4 string

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='584578' date='Aug 29 2009, 04:02 PM']So bizarre it's used by many a band such as alice in chains, funeral for a friend etc...[/quote]
You'd think that if all those bands were so famous and successful, they'd be able to afford proper instruments.

Learn some PTH!

Everything off Fortress is in Bb tuning. If you're too lazy to tune your bass down, you could do what I do and pitchshift the song down a semitone using Audacity or something. :)

Edited by thedonutman

[quote name='yituool' post='585345' date='Aug 30 2009, 07:03 PM']I dunno if you're a fan, but Carcass and Trivium use a lot of standard B tuning. It's also pretty easy to transcribe Machine Head songs like Halo into B standard.[/quote]

I was going to say MH. It's actually quite easy i think to play songs that are normally in drop B and have them in standard. It seems weird at first but it can be quite advantegous as it means you can stay in one position easier. Really since you're (usually) playing single notes rather than powerchords, there isn't really many songs where drop tuning is THAT much easier than just standard on a 5. Songs in drop C on the guitar can be a bit of a bummer though as you're using the 1st fret of the B a lot of the time which hurts your fretting finger if your not used to it.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Quite afew Primus songs can be played on a 5 string. Like "My Name is Mud" Which features a wrist killer of a riff on the low B. And as someone else pointed out Limp Bizkit, if you're gonna pick one song by 'em I'd have to say Boiler, use every string equally.

About half of the first Audioslave album uses a low B - Gasoline, Shadow on the Sun and Hypnotize are the ones the stand out IMO. Timmy C uses a 4 string Jazz tuned BEAD. Living Colour's second album Time's Up has a lot of 5 string on it too.