Why become a member? ×

Playing with string cover.

Soloshchenko

Okay, I'm a jazz bass guy and 98% of the time when I'm playing I rest on top edge of the neck pickup as I'm sure most of you do. I've never played a Jazz Bass with a string cover (and they have none in the local guitar shops). Would I have to change my fingerstyle if I was to add a string and bridge cover to my new bass?

CHeers.

[quote name='Grissle' post='583139' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:20 AM']Yes[/quote]

:rolleyes:

While that is true - I'll expand slightly:

I put a neck pickup cover on my Squier Jazz and it just got in the way, whether playing finger-style or with a plectrum. I've removed now. It did look great though. I would have tried a bridge cover but my bass has a Bad Ass II bridge so it wouldn't fit over it.

You can buy the neck pickup cover off me for £10 if you want to try it. :)

I like to play over the bridge pickup so it doesn't affect me too much. I like to anchor my thumb to the neck pickup cover sometimes and don't find it gets in the way. I find having both neck and bridge covers on really annoying, although it looks really good.

I have a cover on my MIJ '75 Jazz Bass reissue and it doesn't really get in my way. I use it as a thumbrest when playing near the neck pickup, and can use it to rest my wrist when I play with a pick near the neck or when I slap. It didn't require much adapting from my regular playing position and style, I'm comfortable with it. With slapping though, it required some getting used to because I couldn't mute the strings with the palm of my hand as easily as before when required. But that's been a great practice routine for muting with my fretting hand :)

[quote name='mrcrow' post='583556' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:01 PM']they are lookalike gimmicks which retro freaks like to have
they add weight
and get in the way[/quote]
Agreed, they are completely pointless and a waste of time and money. They get in the way but look really lovely.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='583556' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:01 PM']they are lookalike gimmicks which retro freaks like to have
they add weight
[s]utter bollocks[/s] I beg to differ.

I'm most comfortable if I can rest my hand on the cover and play in the same way James Jamerson did (but without the virtuosity)

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

they add weight

oh right, i see...what if ur a plecky player? [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArBLhG3wBQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArBLhG3wBQ[/url]

[quote name='silddx' post='583566' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:12 PM']Agreed, they are completely pointless and a waste of time and money. They get in the way but look really lovely.[/quote]

+100

:)

Edited by bh2

I really like the cover over the pick-up and have one on both of my Jazz Basses
I anchor my thumb on it when playing fingerstyle,and my wrist when slapping.I find it helps me to play in a comfortable
position.
The only problem,for me,is that there are a couple of false harmonics which are awkward to hit with the cover on,but
that's irrelavent 99% of the time anyway.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='584134' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:48 PM'][s]utter bollocks[/s] I beg to differ.

I'm most comfortable if I can rest my hand on the cover and play in the same way James Jamerson did (but without the virtuosity)[/quote]

i wasnt most comfortable and i beg to bollocks...differ..:rolleyes:
if it suits you fine but its money for bangles :)

[quote name='arabassist' post='584143' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:54 PM']oh right, i see...what if ur a plecky player? [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArBLhG3wBQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArBLhG3wBQ[/url][/quote]

im not so i have a differing opinion
i used to have one on my P at the bridge
couldnt get the badass on with it
so sold it and never missed it
what really are they for

[quote]they are lookalike gimmicks which retro freaks like to have
they add weight

+1

Why would you want to put a filthy great bit of metal right in the way of picking over the pickup? Could never understand it.

Bridge covers equally daft IMO - less likely to interfere with your technique but why put the extra weight on your bass? You can get nice shiny modern bridges which (unlike the vintage Fender ones :) ) aren't so hideous to behold that they require hiding from the audience's eyes.

I'm in a Shadows tribute band which is just starting up, so I'm going to be looking for a vintage-looking P bass before too long, but damned if I'm going with pup or bridge covers. Authenticity only goes so far!

Oh - and don't get me started on those finger rests below the G string. Does anyone actually play by putting their fingers on that thing and picking with the thumb?

While I'm ranting, Wagon Wheels aren't as chocolatey OR as big as they used to be.
And modern music is rubbish, you can't hear the words.
And there's too much sex and nudity on TV nowadays! Used to be if you saw an ankle without 5 layers of petticoats it set your heart all a-flutter...

<wanders off to find my pills and a nice cool room>

[quote name='NickH' post='586517' date='Sep 1 2009, 02:00 PM']Oh - and don't get me started on those finger rests below the G string. Does anyone actually play by putting their fingers on that thing and picking with the thumb?

While I'm ranting, Wagon Wheels aren't as chocolatey OR as big as they used to be.
And modern music is rubbish, you can't hear the words.
And there's too much sex and nudity on TV nowadays! Used to be if you saw an ankle without 5 layers of petticoats it set your heart all a-flutter...

<wanders off to find my pills and a nice cool room>[/quote]

yeaaah...and world war 2...what the hell was that all about!?!??!

I've never liked the look of them and never seen the point of them. They just spoil the whole look of a bass, you don't see such paraphernalia on other instruments, like veneered wood inlays over drum skins, chintzy cushions in between hi-hat symbols -no.