Why become a member? ×

Polyurethane spray paint - Where from?

xilddx

If you google Plastikote then look under the shopping results, there'll be a big ol' list. B&Q usually have a range on the shelf if you want to nip out and have a look.

Haven't used it myself, but heard good reports. [url="http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk"]http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk[/url]

[quote name='Davo-London' post='582281' date='Aug 27 2009, 11:16 AM']Why not leave your bass without the coating. Some say (including me) that it'll sound better without!

Davo[/quote]

It'll be a thin coat, but I take your point. Problem is with that honey violin stain, I may puke over it if I see it for much longer, so it needs something over it. I'm going for a Mary Kaye or possibly solid white finish.

Going well so far, got the white coat on, Mary Kaye style, with the halo but solid on the back and sides, translucent on the front only.

I went with the Plasti-Kote super acrylic in the end as I did some more research and it appears to be suitable. I got it in Porcelain. Looks lovely! Will finish it with clear coats of of the same product, and buff it up nice, probably satin as the wood grain is not filled.

Thanks for the help gents!

OK, Finished it.

Starts with sanding the stain off. I'm impatient so I started with 200 grade to get through to the bare wood and progressed to 800. I also only went to the bare wood on the front as the back and sides were to be solid colour. I roughed up the rest of the body to provide paint key.

I used Plasti-Kote Super Satin aerosol. It's acrylic. I built up the body edges first, filled in the back the lightly faded out the front wood grain until only a little showed through. Sort of "grainburst". Anyway, I cocked it up by being impatient and spraying a few coats of clear acrylic over the white. I was warned the paint may crinkle if I didn't leave the white to dry for at least 36 hours and sure enough it did here and there. I lightly sanded it out after a few hours of letting it dry then sprayed a few more coats of white to cover up blemishes. The result was that less of the grain showed through than I would have liked but it's still nice.

I let it dry for about 24 hours before clear coating it with about eight coats. I let it dry another 24 hours.

Today, I wet sanded it 600, then 1000 until it was as flat as I could get it. Again, I messed up by sanding through the white somewhat on the contour edge on the front, but hey, it's now subtly reliced so am I bovvered? :)

I finally dried it off then used Rustins polishing compound to buff it to a high gloss. So, it's now finished and ready to be put back together when the black hardware arrives from Warwick.

The paint job isn't perfect, there are the odd blemishes here and there but for me, it's about 90% ace, and I'm very happy with it. I really like the way the grain shows through even on the solid colour areas. I need to let the paint harden thoroughly as it's still slightly soft. When it does it should be pretty hard wearing.

Cheers.

[quote name='bumnote' post='585904' date='Aug 31 2009, 05:44 PM']Why did you choose acrylic rather than a halfords car spray?

I have a bass Im contemplating doing[/quote]

The Halfords paint is acrylic too. For me it was purely logistical, I don't have a Halfords near me but a hardware shop up the road sold the Plasi-Kote. I called Plasti-Kote to make sure it was acrylic before going ahead.

[quote name='silddx' post='585911' date='Aug 31 2009, 05:47 PM']The Halfords paint is acrylic too. For me it was purely logistical, I don't have a Halfords near me but a hardware shop up the road sold the Plasi-Kote. I called Plasti-Kote to make sure it was acrylic before going ahead.[/quote]

Thank you

Got the black bits today from Warwick.

Soldered the tronics, fitted her up with the hardware. Put the LB DT Black Nylon Tapewounds on - I LIKE! Black and white basses are my very favourite.

Laydiz and gennellmen, heeeeeeere's LouLou ..
[attachment=32053:IMG_0927.jpg]
[attachment=32054:IMG_0936.jpg]

So much nicer than this ugly thing ..

[attachment=32055:IMG_0872.jpg]

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='587981' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:11 PM']Couldn't you get white strings and white hardware for the black bass? :)

That white one is seriously cool. Can you still see the grain through the finish? It's not clear from the photo.[/quote]

Cheers Jack. You can see the grain but I only have intimate ambient lighting at home. It makes us and our guests look younger :rolleyes: The pics are not brilliant really.

I probably should have left more grain showing through or made it solid white.