Why become a member? ×

Fretless Techniques

Rumple

I'm returning to a fretless bass soon after about 20 years of only fretted playing and I thought I might pick up a book or DVD to help me along and wondered if anyone has any thoughts on what's good and what's to be avoided.

Cheers

R.

Having just picked up my first fretless I'll be watching this thread with great interest. There is a Steve Bailey fretless instructional video that's split into parts on youtube (can't link now as it's blocked from where I am) but I was watching it the other night and it seemed like a good resource!

[quote name='Higgie' post='581403' date='Aug 26 2009, 02:09 PM']There is a Steve Bailey fretless instructional video that's split into parts on youtube[/quote]
Thanks for the heads-up. Here's the first chunk:

And the following chunks link from the end of the video. That's one for me to check out later.

This thread's of real interest to me too. So far, I've just been muddling through and gleaning the odd useful bit from Chris Kringel's [i]Fretless Bass[/i] (not a book I really recommend: not enough on techniques -- loads of song transcriptions though -- and it's got a bit of a "throw you in the deep end" learning curve, not to mention the numerous mistakes in the transcriptions).

Having said that, I feel like fretless is the "voice" I've been looking for on bass. Smooth and fluid. Just need to learn to play the bugger in tune now...

Hey guys! Save your money.

All you need is to be able to hear yourself and recognise when you are in tune or not. Like a violin, viola, cello or double bass player. There are no 'special' training dvds for those instruments. Spend time practising with your instrument and learn to play with you ears and not just your fingers. Its not magic; its scales, arpeggios, reading etc. same as a fretted bass only you have to keep an ear on your intonation.

Save your money or, if you are determined to waste it, send it to me c/o LLoydstsb, High Street, High Wycombe...

PS I have played fretless since 1986 and rarely, if ever, play fretted.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='581488' date='Aug 26 2009, 03:24 PM']Hey guys! Save your money.

All you need is to be able to hear yourself and recognise when you are in tune or not. Like a violin, viola, cello or double bass player. There are no 'special' training dvds for those instruments. Spend time practising with your instrument and learn to play with you ears and not just your fingers. Its not magic; its scales, arpeggios, reading etc. same as a fretted bass only you have to keep an ear on your intonation.

Save your money or, if you are determined to waste it, send it to me c/o LLoydstsb, High Street, High Wycombe...

PS I have played fretless since 1986 and rarely, if ever, play fretted.[/quote]

Have to agree really, most of the fretless books and vids aren't a whole lot of help with technique, they're just transcriptions or exercises you could have worked out for yourself. I think this means there are very few real secrets to good fretless playing that aren't also the secrets of good bass playing.

I did my first 100% fretless gig two weeks ago and loved it. A year ago that would have seemed impossible, in fact, I would not have risked one single fretless song on stage. Fretted bass had the right hump at the end of the evening though :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='581526' date='Aug 26 2009, 03:58 PM']Have to agree really, most of the fretless books and vids aren't a whole lot of help with technique, they're just transcriptions or exercises you could have worked out for yourself. I think this means there are very few real secrets to good fretless playing that aren't also the secrets of good bass playing.

I did my first 100% fretless gig two weeks ago and loved it. A year ago that would have seemed impossible, in fact, I would not have risked one single fretless song on stage. Fretted bass had the right hump at the end of the evening though :)[/quote]

Me too - my first 100%er a fortnight ago today - though I've used it on odd tunes for years.

I seem to get by fairly naturally - about the only thing I need to work on is getting 2nd 'fret' bang on , bloody big gap from nut to 3rd.

I def. recommend just going for it and not telling yourself it's a massive leap from fretted.

Fair comments chaps, just thought there might be something useful out there, I exclusively played an unlined fretless bass in rock and pop situations for years in the 80's but listening back at the old C90's of our rehearsals I rarely used slides or much vibrato ^_^ always in tune though :)

R.

[quote name='Higgie' post='581403' date='Aug 26 2009, 02:09 PM']Having just picked up my first fretless I'll be watching this thread with great interest. There is a Steve Bailey fretless instructional video that's split into parts on youtube (can't link now as it's blocked from where I am) but I was watching it the other night and it seemed like a good resource![/quote]

Blimey he's a bit good! I have watched the first instalment (cheers BottomEndian) I'll look the rest up on You Tube when I get home from work.

R

[quote name='ped' post='581616' date='Aug 26 2009, 05:03 PM']Luckily mine has dots and lines on the side of the neck.[/quote]

Nothing at all wrong with that - whatever helps an individual achieve their aim is a good thing. Fret lines get me all confused though - odd - I'm a pretty visual creature but they just don't work for me.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='581610' date='Aug 26 2009, 04:54 PM']+1

When I eventually get a custom-job made (ACG hopefully in the pipeline), I'm definitely having a side-dot at the 1st fret position. Headache over.[/quote]

It sounds a great idea but do you think it'll actually help much? From the angle/distance from first fret to eyes it might be a world of difference on each individual string in terms of line of sight.

Tell you what - I'll sort it out - gig on Sat and I'll tippex a first fret dot in - will report back Sunday.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='581782' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:25 PM']Nothing at all wrong with that - whatever helps an individual achieve their aim is a good thing. Fret lines get me all confused though - odd - I'm a pretty visual creature but they just don't work for me.[/quote]

yeah it helps as a quick check... there isn't anything on the front of the neck though, just a blank shiny metal fingerboard!

maybe we should open the whole 'do you need lines' can of worms!

ped

[quote name='Rumple' post='581673' date='Aug 26 2009, 05:55 PM']Blimey he's a bit good! I have watched the first instalment (cheers BottomEndian) I'll look the rest up on You Tube when I get home from work.

R[/quote]

Yup, he's an absolute monster on fretless. Wait till you see the exercises he starts doing with 1 finger per fret going up and down the strings, and leaving each finger in the last place it played a note...absolutely killer when you get to the 3rd and 4th fingers!

On a side note, I took my fretless out to the jam night the day after I got it, and played it live to an audience - It was like having my very first gig all over again, I was pooing myself! Got lots of positive comments afterwards though, and I didn't hear myself going out of tune. They were relatively simple songs that I know off by heart anyway, but I still wouldn't trust myself using it all night...the odd number maybe, but not exclusively!

Just struggle and get frustrated. You have probably been playing long enough to know if you are out or not. Just start playing all your songs on the fretless and cringe a lot.

The only thing I once tried which I found useful was to record all my scales and such on my fretted bass and then play along to the recording with the fretless. I am prepared to be told that's a bad idea though :) This all comes with the caveat that I am absolutely rubbish on the fretless.