Why become a member? ×

8 String Bass

Wolverinebass

Definitely one of the better looking 8 strings :rolleyes: Soundclips soon?
When I get away from here, I'll have to upload pic of mine,and eventually do a soundclip or something :)
Mine sounds cross between greek wedding music and Motorhead. Not sure how long 8 strings stay in tune tho'

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Bridge is a Schaller 471. You can get it from Warmoth. I think it might be discontinued though. Will try to upload some soundclips over the weekend so you can all have a listen.

Yeah, Entwistle used to use Alembic Explorers in the late 70's until the mid 80's. As I've already indulged my Entwistle fixation before by getting a Status Buzzard, I figured that the only thing I was lacking in terms of radically different sounds was an 8 string. After trying a few (most were rubbish or just didn't stay in tune - which one might argue is the same thing) I decided to just go for it and get an 8 string Explorer.

As for tuning, it seems to hold up really well. Thankfully the bridge has individual saddles otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out. I played it for about 3 hours last night at rehearsal and it was still in tune at the end. Hopefully that won't change when the wood all settles out.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='577227' date='Aug 21 2009, 11:57 PM']Bridge is a Schaller 471. You can get it from Warmoth. I think it might be discontinued though. Will try to upload some soundclips over the weekend so you can all have a listen.

Yeah, Entwistle used to use Alembic Explorers in the late 70's until the mid 80's. As I've already indulged my Entwistle fixation before by getting a Status Buzzard, I figured that the only thing I was lacking in terms of radically different sounds was an 8 string. After trying a few (most were rubbish or just didn't stay in tune - which one might argue is the same thing) I decided to just go for it and get an 8 string Explorer.

As for tuning, it seems to hold up really well. Thankfully the bridge has individual saddles otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out. I played it for about 3 hours last night at rehearsal and it was still in tune at the end. Hopefully that won't change when the wood all settles out.[/quote]

What did the rest of the band think?

The rest of the band were somewhat surpised as I hadn't mentioned what I was getting. My guitarist thought it sounded huge and with a bit of chorus thought it sounded like Cheap Trick.

I've never really been one for using a pick. I did try it with the 8 string, but whilst it sounded good, I think I'll stick with the fingers and stock up on surgical spirit.

As it's set with the drone strings above, I can't string it the other way due to the nut. I didn't fancy it the other way round (which I think is the way Rickenbacker 8's are strung) so I went that way knowing I'd have to get the nut replaced were I to ever change my mind.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='577795' date='Aug 22 2009, 07:26 PM']What is ACAF ? Do you mean as opposed to EADG?[/quote]

The way i play my basses they would as well be tuned that way.

BB

ps in case u really dont know it is an acronym for the fact i find the bass in quesion a delightful piece of craftsmanship and an exremely desirous commodity which would give any owner an increase in their credibility, independant of their actual talent, and possibly even make them more attractive to members of the opposite sex should such an effect be desired by the player.

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='577856' date='Aug 22 2009, 09:06 PM']The way i play my basses they would as well be tuned that way.

BB

ps in case u really dont know it is an acronym for the fact i find the bass in quesion a delightful piece of craftsmanship and an exremely desirous commodity which would give any owner an increase in their credibility, independant of their actual talent, and possibly even make them more attractive to members of the opposite sex should such an effect be desired by the player.[/quote]

Aaaah! Got it :) :rolleyes:

Looks great,it's strung the same way as the BC Rich 8 stringers are as well,I hate the sound myself,so I've removed the drone strings off both of my B.C.Rich Biches

I too would be interested in what case you got for it,as I'm sure it would be the right length for my Ironbird :)

At the moment, I'm looking for a case/bag and don't have one. When I picked it up I used the gig bag from my status buzzard. It was the only thing I could think of that it might fit in. Obviously this is far from ideal and if anyone's got any suggestions as to a case or a bag then that'd be greatly appreciated.

As for the SE bass day, I may very well pop along and if anyone fancied a shot of a bass that'd be fine. As to what instrument I take along to the thing out of the 8 string Explorer, the Buzzard or the Alembic it's a difficult choice.

Could you (GENTLY) lie the explorer on top of the Buzzard and see if they're roughly the same size?

I think Warwick make a Flightcase for their Buzzard

I would love to know the length of your Buzzard too,does it have a Beaked and rake-backed headstock? :)

It might help me in a search for an affordable case for my Ironbird

The buzzard and explorer are roughly the same size (the 8 string has a shorter neck), so the warwick case might fit. Will have to measure the 8 string to see what the dimensions are.

If you want some info on the buzzard try www.buzzardbass.com which is quite good. The Status version is the one on the homepage. I think Warwick did 2 versions. One with the beak headstock (which is smaller than the status version) and the usual warwick type peghead. Also, if I remember right, the warwick version doesn't have a tilted back headstock.

I must confess that in comparison of the 2 instruments, the warwick version was inferior in every way. Just my opinion though and I'm sure others would disagree. Not that it's not a good bass, but the status version is even better.

This is the gigbag I use for the buzzard. Just for info. It's not that cheap.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_rb20603b_plus_thunderbird_bassgigbag.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_rb20603b_..._bassgigbag.htm[/url]

Will have to measure up the explorer to see if it'll fit the hiscox case.