Why become a member? ×

Getting an Endorsement

matt_citizenbass

How would i go about doing this?

i've just sent a very up myself email with pictures and music to EHX.

i basically copied my friend's email he used to get endorsements but his achievements were a lot better than mine so i feel like i have no chance.

theres a ridiculous amount of small metal/hardcore bands that get endorsed as soon as they spawn.

i want in.

thanks,
Matt

A big part is who you work with,where and how often. It's really about how you can benefit the company,not the other way round.
I've spoken to some companies who only want to know how many albums you have sold and the name of your tech,and others who are interested if you are a busy working player.It depends how large the company is.

[quote name='Jase' post='573697' date='Aug 19 2009, 12:27 AM']Here's all the answers....according to this chap :)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBOFbTYNQcE"]Endorsement secrets[/url][/quote]

I must admit - he was grinding on me a bit at the start, but he seems like a really nice guy! Great advice too :rolleyes:

Get very famous. Who really gives a sh*t mate ive never heard of you. This sort of thing which actually counts,ie free decent stuff is only given to you if you are making these guys or a record company serious money.No offence to you and i guess thats my access all areas down the tube when you make it. Sorry guys who are with bill smith guitars etc but if you are not making a lot of money nobody gives a sh*t,and why should they?

Edited by YouMa

[quote]Get very famous. Who really gives a sh*t mate ive never heard of you. This sort of thing which actually counts,ie free decent stuff is only given to you if you are making these guys or a record company serious money.No offence to you and i guess thats my access all areas down the tube when you make it. Sorry guys who are with bill smith guitars etc but if you are not making a lot of money nobody gives a sh*t,and why should they?[/quote]

no harm trying though is there?

[quote name='YouMa' post='573734' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:57 AM']Get very famous. Who really gives a sh*t mate ive never heard of you. This sort of thing which actually counts,ie free decent stuff is only given to you if you are making these guys or a record company serious money.No offence to you and i guess thats my access all areas down the tube when you make it. Sorry guys who are with bill smith guitars etc but if you are not making a lot of money nobody gives a sh*t,and why should they?[/quote]

Not making money and not having exposure are VERY different things these days! You can most definately have one and not the other (although money rarely comes wihtout exposure). Manufacturers are looking for both. There are a lot of bands with "core" followings that im sure joe public wont have heard of, but their fans are really ravenous when it comes to showing support and lots of brands are jumping on these - I know at least three "hardcore" drummers that are endorsed through various levels and theyre still playing the same old venues 2 years down the line.

secondly, from what ive found speaking to a few PR guys at amp companies specifically, is that they like people who have some character and charisma. If your not the kind of music or not quite branded enough to be what they're looking for, you can always win them over with a bit of cheek and a good sense of humour!

And of course, theirs the age old saying, if you dont ask, you dont get!

[quote name='MythSte' post='573745' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:28 AM']Not making money and not having exposure are VERY different things these days! You can most definately have one and not the other (although money rarely comes wihtout exposure). Manufacturers are looking for both. There are a lot of bands with "core" followings that im sure joe public wont have heard of, but their fans are really ravenous when it comes to showing support and lots of brands are jumping on these - I know at least three "hardcore" drummers that are endorsed through various levels and theyre still playing the same old venues 2 years down the line.

secondly, from what ive found speaking to a few PR guys at amp companies specifically, is that they like people who have some character and charisma. If your not the kind of music or not quite branded enough to be what they're looking for, you can always win them over with a bit of cheek and a good sense of humour!

And of course, theirs the age old saying, if you dont ask, you dont get![/quote]

Have you got any endorsements...?

Just to echo the sentiments of a few here, it really isn't about money. It is more about the exposure you are able to generate for the company. If you are mixing it up at a decent level, playing good venues, getting good press and gigging frequently, you are in a good position to be approaching companies for endorsements. Obviously the chances vary from company to company and I do know that the economic downturn has affected the way that some companies are approaching their budget with respect to artist relations. 12 months ago, Warwick were asking me to go over to Germany to meet with them and now, despite the fact I can do way more for them in terms of getting their name about (not that they need it), they wouldn't be interested.

The final lil tip I can offer, is don't ever expect freebies. You will only get these if you are a big big name and it really is in the companies interests to be doing so. With all due respect, I doubt that you are a big enough name so the best you can hope for is discounts or trade prices.

If you have anything specific in mind, drop me a PM and I may be able to offer a bit more help :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='573780' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:42 AM']Have you got any endorsements...?[/quote]

I've been offered endorsements yes, one fell through with my old band (Trace Elliot) and the other more recent one just didnt seem worth it (TC Electronics) - I was offered 30% off the RRP, Which ended up being about a tenner less than the thomann price! heh.

[quote name='MythSte' post='574108' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:19 PM']I've been offered endorsements yes, one fell through with my old band (Trace Elliot) and the other more recent one just didnt seem worth it (TC Electronics) - I was offered 30% off the RRP, Which ended up being about a tenner less than the thomann price! heh.[/quote]
A tenner off the thomann price?!? I'd have taken it! :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='574108' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:19 PM']I've been offered endorsements yes, one fell through with my old band (Trace Elliot) and the other more recent one just didnt seem worth it (TC Electronics) - I was offered 30% off the RRP, Which ended up being about a tenner less than the thomann price! heh.[/quote]

But it isn't about getting cheap or cheaper gear really, it's nice to have a trade price and maybe some exposure but the bottom line is that you truly believe in the company and the product, being able to build a relationship with them is very important I think.

So that's a "no" then?

[quote name='MythSte' post='574168' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:02 PM']If you like! I believe its enough for me to offer some useful insight :)[/quote]

Oh. OK. Thanks for clearing that up. I was a little confused by the comment you made in response to your YouTube video thats all...

[quote]MrMythste (12 hours ago) Just like to add, Im endorsed by a couple of bass companies (string and amps) And the biggest thing for me was not being afraid to be a bit cheeky! I've found companies, although money grabbing gypsies, do like to have real people, with real personality on board! But otherwise, Cracking video man and great advice![/quote]

[quote name='MythSte' post='574198' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:17 PM']Well Inspector! Theres one or two things im not jinxing just yet :) Last time i raved on about it my band folded![/quote]

Was that the band on Orange Unsigned? I thought they were still going?