Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Basses - 08/09 Model

farmer61

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='572054' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:45 PM']Personally I'd never send ANY hard case through any postal system unless it was protected in some way, usually in a cardboard box of some sort.[/quote]

I've been on the receiving end of your parcels. Took an eight hour shift to open the last one...

If Carlsberg packed basses they'd be called GreenKing.

To answer the original poster's question...

I've had a few jazzes in my time as well & the best amongst them was the last of run American Standard S1 model. It still had the unfinished feeling neck but was an excellent bass.

The new bass, is streets ahead of the S1 model, although I did like the tonal variation afforded by the S1 switch. The production changes are as follows...

Thinner undercoat lacquer for improved tonal response and sustain
High mass bridge
Satin lacquered neck and gloss lacquered fingerboard (maple only)
New 30% lighter tuners

Doesn't sound a lot, but the difference between the two is huge. My S1 Jazz was a lovely bass, but I always felt that the necks on the S1 models felt unfinished and rough to the touch. The new ones are just lovely. Possibly the nicest wooden neck I've played. I use my 09 Am.Std. with a Sadowsky outboard preamp/di & the sound is just huge. Of course, the bass sounds great on it's own, but the Sadowsky pre is just the icing on the cake.

I'm thoroughly pleased with mine!

Rich.

I tried an '09 American Standard in a music shop a while ago and the neck pocket was way too big for the neck. There was a gap of 1-2mm on the treble side. Shocking.

It would seem Fender's quality control is still not up to scratch.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='572054' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:45 PM']Personally I'd never send ANY hard case through any postal system unless it was protected in some way, usually in a cardboard box of some sort.[/quote]
Some couriers probably wouldn't take anything that wasn't boxed up. If they did I'm pretty certain you'd be screwed if you needed to make an insurance claim.

[quote name='RhysP' post='572576' date='Aug 18 2009, 06:33 AM']Some couriers probably wouldn't take anything that wasn't boxed up. If they did I'm pretty certain you'd be screwed if you needed to make an insurance claim.[/quote]

When I sent mine over to Merton, I read on the Parcel Force website that they will only take an instrument if its in a hardcase, and if the external packagins IS the hardcase, then the case isnt insured. The case is insured if its inside other packaging.

So I wrapped the case up in brown paper. It made perfect sense to me at the time.

[quote name='Mikey R' post='573256' date='Aug 18 2009, 05:49 PM']When I sent mine over to Merton, I read on the Parcel Force website that they will only take an instrument if its in a hardcase, and if the external packagins IS the hardcase, then the case isnt insured. The case is insured if its inside other packaging.

So I wrapped the case up in brown paper. It made perfect sense to me at the time.[/quote]

If I had a pound for every thread on here that's gone off-course and ended up talking about couriers I'd own even more basses than I do :)

[quote name='farmer61' post='573979' date='Aug 19 2009, 12:20 PM']Hooray, just ordered this puppy this morning, brand new Olympic White 08/09 model. Compromised a bit on colour for a reasonable deal on March 09 stock.

Many thanks for all of the advice/guidance etc[/quote]
FYI, that is the exact same colour scheme of Beedsters' 09 Jazz (formerly mine). Looks great in the flesh.

[quote name='Clarky' post='573999' date='Aug 19 2009, 12:32 PM']FYI, that is the exact same colour scheme of Beedsters' 09 Jazz (formerly mine). Looks great in the flesh.[/quote]

I actually checked your for-sale post before I placed the order to check on the colour, I quite like the idea of the black scratch plate mind you......

Btw I won't be playing this naked if this is what you meant. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='572841' date='Aug 18 2009, 01:40 PM']The neck pockets on both my new Fenders are excellent. No problems whatsoever. They have both been looked over by a professional and said to be 'spot on'.[/quote]
Glad to hear it!

The one I tried out was really nice apart from the neck pocket. No better than my S1 though.

Maybe I was just unlucky with the one I played. Even so, there are still some duff ones getting through.

[quote name='farmer61' post='574037' date='Aug 19 2009, 12:50 PM']Thanks, me too, just hope it arrives and that Fender had a good day at the factory when it was built![/quote]

Nice one, lets hope it is a Wednesday built bass and not a Monday morning or Friday afternoon one :)

[quote name='farmer61' post='573979' date='Aug 19 2009, 12:20 PM']Hooray, just ordered this puppy this morning, brand new Olympic White 08/09 model. Compromised a bit on colour for a reasonable deal on March 09 stock.

Many thanks for all of the advice/guidance etc[/quote]

Nice one dude, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Let us know how it goes
Chris

So then, bass ordered from Dawsons.co.uk and then I receive a call yesterday saying that for security reasons I cannot have the bass sent to a different address than the one on the debit card details because the item is more than £500.

I double checked the website terms and conditions, which state that "due to customer feedback we are now able to send to different address". I offered to give them any proof that they wanted, but no, they would not budge so the order is cancelled. So have gone to Reverb and bought this

£20 cheaper and free delivery, an overall saving of £30. No hassle with delivery address's and brand new stock.

Marvellous!!!

[quote name='farmer61' post='575332' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:47 AM']So then, bass ordered from Dawsons.co.uk and then I receive a call yesterday saying that for security reasons I cannot have the bass sent to a different address than the one on the debit card details because the item is more than £500.

I double checked the website terms and conditions, which state that "due to customer feedback we are now able to send to different address". I offered to give them any proof that they wanted, but no, they would not budge so the order is cancelled. So have gone to Reverb and bought this

£20 cheaper and free delivery, an overall saving of £30. No hassle with delivery address's and brand new stock.

Marvellous!!![/quote]
Nice one! Like the colour.

[quote name='Ray' post='575461' date='Aug 20 2009, 01:10 PM']Nice one! Like the colour.[/quote]

Thanks, it was my original choice, but Dawsons only had the Olympic White which I decided to go for based on price. A few people earlier on the thread have the Blizzard Pearl and rate it so it's all worked out rather well.

[quote name='farmer61' post='575477' date='Aug 20 2009, 01:21 PM']Thanks, it was my original choice, but Dawsons only had the Olympic White which I decided to go for based on price. A few people earlier on the thread have the Blizzard Pearl and rate it so it's all worked out rather well.[/quote]
I don't usually like non-traditional colours on Fenders but that is quite tasty. :)