Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Basses - 08/09 Model

farmer61

I've just refound the Fender Jazz sound and I'm reading lots of posts about the New Jazz Basses and how Fender have stepped up their game. I own a fantasic Jazz with S1 switching which is brilliant IMO.

I'm interested to understand what Fender have changed with their more recent versions, I'm only looking at passive basses for the purposes of this post.

My aim here is to decide whether I should buy another S1 Jazz or go for a New and Latest model.

Thanks

I've recently picked up an '09 model (maple board). I have, to be honest, been blown away by it. Firstly the build quality is a huge improvement on both recent and vintage Fenders I've owned, it's seriously very close to Sadowsky quality (the neck pretty much stays put in the pocket without the screws and the finishing and playability of the neck are outstanding). I've owned around 20 Fenders, five of which were Custom Shop models, and recently two Sadowskys, so I feel qualified to make the comparison. Secondly the tone seems hugely improved, OK, perhaps a function of the build quality (and possibly materials and High Mass Vintage Bridge), but I can't help thinking the PUPs are improved on previous versions. The slap tone is so good it sounds active. OK. it doesn't have the smoothness of tone of the Sadowsky UV70 I recently owned, but neither did that Sadowsky have the in-yer-face grunt that this bass has. The addition of the Vintage High Mass Bridge no doubt helps although as I've pretty much always installed Badass bridges on my Fenders anyway this is perhaps less of a factor in any direct comparison I'm making here. The neck is slightly chunkier than standard Jazzes, no wider but a little deeper and consequently more solid feeling, in fact, it feels somewhere between a Jazz and a Precision. It's a lovely weight - when I say it's not too light and not too heavy, which is not always helpful, what I'm saying is that it's perfect for me, bearing in mind I let a '69 Jazz go because it was too light for me (I've never got the tone I want from light basses). The finish on the body seems lovely and thin, giving the impression that more of the tone is coming from the wood. It also looks like it's wood and not plastic like so many of the 90's Fenders

The only thing I'm troubled by at present is that the new tuners don't hold their tuning anything like as well as those on my vintage basses. This could be a function of the fact that I NEVER have to tune either of those basses - I'm not even sure of the tuners work any more - but I do have to tune the Jazz, so perhaps I've been spoiled?

As you can probably guess, I'm mightily impressed - and somewhat reassured - by the bass, reassured because Fender seemed to be becoming a company known for having once made great basses rather than a company who still do. I'm pretty sure the likes or Ernie Ball, Lakland and even Sadowsky, all of whom have perhaps had some mileage out of Fender's poor recent record, will be watching carefully.

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='571721' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:54 PM']The addition of the Vintage High Mass Bridge no doubt helps although as I've pretty much always installed Badass bridges on my Fenders anyway this is perhaps less of a factor in any direct comparison I'm making here.[/quote]

Excellent reply Chris, many thanks. One question, is the High Mass bridge standard on the new basses or is that an addition??

I think the quality is definitely darn close to the US Lakland's, Sadowsky's, etc. I have an 08 Precision and I hands down love it. Didn't care for the feel and sound of an 04 Precision with the S1 switch. The new Fender's are a league above those, IMHO. A worthy investment.

Oh, the high mass bridge is standard on the American Standard series, as is a wonderful SKB case.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

[quote name='farmer61' post='571728' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:04 PM']Excellent reply Chris, many thanks. One question, is the High Mass bridge standard on the new basses or is that an addition??[/quote]
I'm not Chris (but I did sell him that Jazz!) The high mass bridge is stock on 08/09 Js and Ps. Incidentally I had an 09 P and I never had a problem with the tuners - maybe its those high tension Labella "men's strings" that Beedster plays :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='571733' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:06 PM']Incidentally I had an 09 P and I never had a problem with the tuners - maybe its those high tension Labella "men's strings" that Beedster plays :)[/quote]

I think I may have made more of this than is actually the case, that is, it's not a problem per se, simply something I noticed - and the only thing I noticed - to be less than perfect on this bass. Now you mention the La Bellas Clarky, it's made me realise that the original strings are still on the bass which means they're probably pretty old and as such are potentially the cause of the problem.

Chris

So, I'm close to a sale on my Stingray 5 (hopefully), so am GASing on the new Fender Jazzes. BTW thanks for all the replies to my previous post

Armed with enthusiasm, I ring my local store owner, bought a number of guitars from him in the past, who informs me that -

[list=1]
[*]He's not got any in stock
[*]That summer is a bad time to get stock
[*]That he's not convinced the quality is any better
[*]That he's not aware of any improvements
[*]Now's a bad time to buy a Fender (taking into account points 1 to 4 above) as they've just put their price up by 5%
[*]but if I find a good deal let him know and he'll see what he can do for me
[*]and have I got any chips that he can piss on for me.
[/list]

Jesus, I'm almost begging to buy one soon and apparently he doesn't want to sell me a bass.

So any good deals out there that anyone knows of...........for research purposes only of course..........!

Very nearly ready to buy........

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='farmer61' post='571780' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:58 PM']So, I'm close to a sale on my Stingray 5 (hopefully), so am GASing on the new Fender Jazzes. BTW thanks for all the replies to my previous post

Armed with enthusiasm, I ring my local store owner, bought a number of guitars from him in the past, who informs me that -

[list=1]
[*]He's not got any in stock
[*]That summer is a bad time to get stock
[*]That he's not convinced the quality is any better
[*]That he's not aware of any improvements
[*]Now's a bad time to buy a Fender (taking into account points 1 to 4 above) as they've just put their price up by 5%
[*]but if I find a good deal let him know and he'll see what he can do for me
[*]and have I got any chips that he can piss on for me.
[/list]

Jesus, I'm almost begging to buy one soon and apparently he doesn't want to sell me a bass.

So any good deals out there that anyone knows of...........for research purposes only of course..........!

Very nearly ready to buy........[/quote]

Well I'm sorry to say that the guy is either an idiot or doesn't keep abreast of developments in his field. Or, being more cynical, as he's got no stock he's trying to get you to buy something he has got. There's one on ebay at the moment (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110424911501&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) which is exactly the same as mine, but at £510 with 8 days to go will likely finish quite high.

You could of course make the seller an offer he can't refuse?

Chris

[quote name='BB2000' post='571806' date='Aug 17 2009, 05:21 PM']Can I butt into this thread to ask a quick question?

I don't recognize the type of strap holder on these new basses. Is it supposed to be used with a strap lock system, and if so, which one.[/quote]

Mine's a normal stock Fender?

[quote name='Beedster' post='571797' date='Aug 17 2009, 05:12 PM']Well I'm sorry to say that the guy is either an idiot or doesn't keep abreast of developments in his field. Or, being more cynical, as he's got no stock he's trying to get you to buy something he has got. There's one on ebay at the moment (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110424911501&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) which is exactly the same as mine, but at £510 with 8 days to go will likely finish quite high.

You could of course make the seller an offer he can't refuse?

Chris[/quote]

Reckon could be any of the above, normally he's sound.

Thanks for the link, 8 days may be too soon for me to get the funds in for my sale, but I'm going to watch this one, the new ones on ebay are going for the £900-990 mark, so there's a bit of leeway.

[quote name='Beedster' post='571721' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:54 PM']I've recently picked up an '09 model (maple board). I have, to be honest, been blown away by it. Firstly the build quality is a huge improvement on both recent and vintage Fenders I've owned, it's seriously very close to Sadowsky quality (the neck pretty much stays put in the pocket without the screws and the finishing and playability of the neck are outstanding). I've owned around 20 Fenders, five of which were Custom Shop models, and recently two Sadowskys, so I feel qualified to make the comparison. Secondly the tone seems hugely improved, OK, perhaps a function of the build quality (and possibly materials and High Mass Vintage Bridge), but I can't help thinking the PUPs are improved on previous versions. The slap tone is so good it sounds active. OK. it doesn't have the smoothness of tone of the Sadowsky UV70 I recently owned, but neither did that Sadowsky have the in-yer-face grunt that this bass has. The addition of the Vintage High Mass Bridge no doubt helps although as I've pretty much always installed Badass bridges on my Fenders anyway this is perhaps less of a factor in any direct comparison I'm making here. The neck is slightly chunkier than standard Jazzes, no wider but a little deeper and consequently more solid feeling, in fact, it feels somewhere between a Jazz and a Precision. It's a lovely weight - when I say it's not too light and not too heavy, which is not always helpful, what I'm saying is that it's perfect for me, bearing in mind I let a '69 Jazz go because it was too light for me (I've never got the tone I want from light basses). The finish on the body seems lovely and thin, giving the impression that more of the tone is coming from the wood. It also looks like it's wood and not plastic like so many of the 90's Fenders

The only thing I'm troubled by at present is that the new tuners don't hold their tuning anything like as well as those on my vintage basses. This could be a function of the fact that I NEVER have to tune either of those basses - I'm not even sure of the tuners work any more - but I do have to tune the Jazz, so perhaps I've been spoiled?

As you can probably guess, I'm mightily impressed - and somewhat reassured - by the bass, reassured because Fender seemed to be becoming a company known for having once made great basses rather than a company who still do. I'm pretty sure the likes or Ernie Ball, Lakland and even Sadowsky, all of whom have perhaps had some mileage out of Fender's poor recent record, will be watching carefully.

Chris[/quote]

Chris nailed it right there.

I own two new Fenders....after not buying one for a LONG time worrying they would not be QC correctly. After the new series came out, and I saw the reviews, my GAS went sky high. So, I finally got THAT Jazz...and THAT Precision in my collection.

My review

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53990"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53990[/url]

They both really are very good basses. Now I think twice about a Lakland, considering the Fenders have the F passive tone absolutely spot on, have good upgrades, VERY good cases, and are cheaper.

Just to aid you...goto Darren @ Bass Merchant. I did, and he sourced me two brand new ones and made sure they were spot on. He also had them set up and checked over. Not only that, his prices were far below anywhere else. He matched the best net deal I could find...and included service with a smile and a few coffees.

Highly recommend both new Fenders and Bass Merchant.

Now...I am gassing for another Jazz, but I wil probably get a rosewood 4 string USA Fender Jazz instead of jumping ship to a Lakland.

Cheers!

Gareth

My lovely 09 Fender is an 09 American Vintage P (62 RI) and as such has the 'low mass' bent tin bridge (as well as vintage reverse tuners and a nitro cellulose finish).

It sounds unbelievably good and has been rated 'best P ever' by none less than our Homer. I'm in no hurry to change to a higher mass bridge :)

So it's not just the high mass bridge that makes them such an improvement.

Mind at over £1700 MRP it should be good.

[quote name='Beedster' post='571721' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:54 PM']I've recently picked up an '09 model (maple board). I have, to be honest, been blown away by it. Firstly the build quality is a huge improvement on both recent and vintage Fenders I've owned, it's seriously very close to Sadowsky quality (the neck pretty much stays put in the pocket without the screws and the finishing and playability of the neck are outstanding). I've owned around 20 Fenders, five of which were Custom Shop models, and recently two Sadowskys, so I feel qualified to make the comparison. Secondly the tone seems hugely improved, OK, perhaps a function of the build quality (and possibly materials and High Mass Vintage Bridge), but I can't help thinking the PUPs are improved on previous versions. The slap tone is so good it sounds active. OK. it doesn't have the smoothness of tone of the Sadowsky UV70 I recently owned, but neither did that Sadowsky have the in-yer-face grunt that this bass has. The addition of the Vintage High Mass Bridge no doubt helps although as I've pretty much always installed Badass bridges on my Fenders anyway this is perhaps less of a factor in any direct comparison I'm making here. The neck is slightly chunkier than standard Jazzes, no wider but a little deeper and consequently more solid feeling, in fact, it feels somewhere between a Jazz and a Precision. It's a lovely weight - when I say it's not too light and not too heavy, which is not always helpful, what I'm saying is that it's perfect for me, bearing in mind I let a '69 Jazz go because it was too light for me (I've never got the tone I want from light basses). The finish on the body seems lovely and thin, giving the impression that more of the tone is coming from the wood. It also looks like it's wood and not plastic like so many of the 90's Fenders

Chris[/quote]

Stealing the thread slightly, but how would you compare the 09 F Jazz to a UV Metro Sadowsky? Worth that extra £1K on retail price?

I've not tried the new Jazzes. Next time I'm near a music shop, I'll try one out.
It'll have to be good to better my '04 Ash bodied, Rosewood 'boarded S1 Jazz. It "only" has the old-style bridge, but [i]is[/i] strung thru-body.
Perhaps it's the DR Sunbeams? :)

Still, I bought it because I thought it felt good and sounded good (in 2005) I still think that now, so I guess all's well. It was as least as nice to play as a 'Ray and better than the Warwick Corvette (Ash), plus it mullered the Variax I was [i]thinking[/i] of buying on all counts...

The moral of the story? Try before you buy, and buy the one you tried whenever possible!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='571902' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:41 PM']Stealing the thread slightly, but how would you compare the 09 F Jazz to a UV Metro Sadowsky? Worth that extra £1K on retail price?[/quote]

Funny you should ask.........

The '09 Fender compares well in the following:

Build quality & finishing:
Feel & weight
Playability and set-up. I can get the same buzz-free low action and intonation on the Fender I got on the Sadowsky

It doesn't compare so well on:

Sweetness of tone. The Sadowsky just has that little something that it's hard to put your finger on (note that I'm talking passive; I'm not so sure than in active mode the distinction might not be less obvious. I'll be putting a J-Retro in soon so I'll let you know).

Its better on:

Grunt. It has the potential for a nasty funk tone, even played passively, that I could never get out of the UV70, even in active
Looks and authenticity. The UV70 looks like a Fender copy (it is) and was simply too boutique for me
Case. The Sadowsky case is good, the Fender case is awesome

Up to you whether those differences are worth £1000. I'd say not but then I kept finding that I had a sense of being let down by every top end bass I owned (Modulus, Sadowsky, Status) which I don't have with this bass. Then again, perhaps my expectations were lower and my natural pro-Fender bias has crept in?

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='571922' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:54 PM']Funny you should ask.........

The '09 Fender compares well in the following:

Build quality & finishing:
Feel & weight
Playability and set-up. I can get the same buzz-free low action and intonation on the Fender I got on the Sadowsky

It doesn't compare so well on:

Sweetness of tone. The Sadowsky just has that little something that it's hard to put your finger on (note that I'm talking passive; I'm not so sure than in active mode the distinction might not be less obvious. I'll be putting a J-Retro in soon so I'll let you know).

Its better on:

Grunt. It has the potential for a nasty funk tone, even played passively, that I could never get out of the UV70, even in active
Looks and authenticity. The UV70 looks like a Fender copy (it is) and was simply too boutique for me
Case. The Sadowsky case is good, the Fender case is awesome

Up to you whether those differences are worth £1000. I'd say not but then I kept finding that I had a sense of being let down by every top end bass I owned (Modulus, Sadowsky, Status) which I don't have with this bass. Then again, perhaps my expectations were lower and my natural pro-Fender bias has crept in?

Chris[/quote]

Thanks!

Im thinking of maybe just sticking with Fender like you, and trying Sadowskys whenever I see one, not just ordering one on because of their very good name.

I like the fact the 09 Fender gives that grunt better!

All in all, I want another Jazz in 6 months, and it was going to be a Lakkie or a Sadowsky....but to be fair, I think I might just stick with what I know and spend more on cabs and amps. Ill only be frightened of gigging a really expensive high end bass anyway.

my 08 Precision is a better bass for sure than the 2 MIA Std P's I owned before. I like the light weight and the way it plays and sounds so good. neck pocket seems tighter too.details like the buffed rosewood board and glossed headstock all add up imo. my only niggle is the finish is dead easy to chip and dent but apart from that,great bass

and the Blizzard Pearl finish is also the dogs danglies.

[quote name='Beedster' post='571922' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:54 PM']Case. The Sadowsky case is good, the Fender case is awesome[/quote]

I just took delivery of a Precision today from someone on the forum, who just stuck a shipping label to the case rather than bother himself to wrap or box it. It arrived split, and since there seems to be no way to lock it whatever mechanism was there to do so has presumably broken off, so perhaps the cases are not so sturdy as they first appear. I'm pretty sure a hiscox would have survived the journey.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='572014' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:09 PM']...the Blizzard Pearl finish is also the dogs danglies.[/quote]
+1
With all the great comments about build quality and that awesome Blizzard Pearl finish I'm actually considering buying a Precision, which is something I thought I'd never do.

[quote name='BB2000' post='572016' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:09 PM']I just took delivery of a Precision today from someone on the forum, who just stuck a shipping label to the case rather than bother himself to wrap or box it. It arrived split, and since there seems to be no way to lock it whatever mechanism was there to do so has presumably broken off, so perhaps the cases are not so sturdy as they first appear. I'm pretty sure a hiscox would have survived the journey.[/quote]

Mine has a lock on each latch?

[quote name='BB2000' post='572016' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:09 PM']I just took delivery of a Precision today from someone on the forum, who just stuck a shipping label to the case rather than bother himself to wrap or box it. It arrived split, and since there seems to be no way to lock it whatever mechanism was there to do so has presumably broken off, so perhaps the cases are not so sturdy as they first appear. I'm pretty sure a hiscox would have survived the journey.[/quote]

Personally I'd never send ANY hard case through any postal system unless it was protected in some way, usually in a cardboard box of some sort.