Why become a member? ×

Who would like to see my Ultra light Prototype?

MoonBassAlpha

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='571168' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:52 PM']As they say...

No Pics no ultra light 10" speaker cab prototype :)[/quote]

Ok then.
Sorry to be a tease!

I mocked up an idea in cardboard and parcel tape just to get a feel of it. One criterion is that the Shuttle perches on the top of it.
It's purpose is for practice and acoustic gigs where the Compact would be unnecessary.
It has a shelf port of arbitrary size (looked about right!) and has a horizontal cardboard brace inside. It really needs a vertical one too.
The driver is the Celestion BN-10 200X.
It is so light it scuttles about the floor when you play it!
I'm thinking of doing it in MDF with internal bracing and a bit of routing to lose some weight but hopefully keep rigidity.
I probably should check the volume and tuning with WinISD. How easy is it to use? Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Jules

Don't laugh too hard, you might have an accident!
[attachment=30989:P1010372.JPG]
[attachment=30988:P1010373.JPG]

Looks good-is it necessary for the top to be angled? If not the Shuttle would be a lot safer on the top if it was flat-or alternatively rig some sort of platform to keep it level. I have two Ashdown Mini cabs with Celestions in them-if I'm doing a low-key practice I just use one of them with my Shuttle-it's made my practice amp redundant!

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='571392' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:05 AM']Looks good-is it necessary for the top to be angled? If not the Shuttle would be a lot safer on the top if it was flat-or alternatively rig some sort of platform to keep it level. I have two Ashdown Mini cabs with Celestions in them-if I'm doing a low-key practice I just use one of them with my Shuttle-it's made my practice amp redundant![/quote]
the idea was to make the controls slightly easier to see and get at.
The deluxe (MDF!) version will have little rebates for the Shuttle's feet to sit in.
I was also thinking of using an adjustable nylon carrying strap that would double as a Shuttle "safety belt"

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='571278' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:22 AM']Sorry but that is genius. great idea and well made. Hows it perform?[/quote]
err, it isn't that well made, the photo's must be flattering.
It sounds ok at low volumes, but sounds like it will burst apart when it is cranked.
There is some bottom end, but not really deep at all, kind of as you'd expect.
I'm sure, even with the guesswork design it will sound a ton better in stiffer material, but will no longer weigh 5lbs :)

Thanks for the kind comments though.
Cheers
Jules

• 8 months later...

Well,
I went to Homebass, sorry Homebase, and saw the sheets of 12mm ply, much bigger than I needed and over £40, so I though "that's a lot to spend if it doesn't sound any good or i cock up the building bit", so I ummed and ahhed, and while I was doing this I saw some offcuts in mdf and chipboard, 90p and 60p respectively. That's more like it! Doesn't matter what kind of a balls-up I make of it for that money, then we'll see if if sounds any good, at least. The boy even cut them to width free! (did I mention I'm a tight git?)
I'll post some pictures soon showing the almost finished item, and the other money-saving "features".
I think it weighs 14lbs now.

[quote name='escholl' post='815012' date='Apr 22 2010, 02:40 PM']Ahh, genius. Reminds me of a 2x12...er, 12mm anyways, guitar cab that I once built... :)

Yours is much better though, looks like a proper cab at least! I could really use something like that, if it turns out well....[/quote]

I think there are a lot of people who could use an ultra-compact lightweight 1x10" box. The Deltalite II 2510 tends to get touted as the neo speaker of choice for DIY, but there are other drivers that perform better if you want a really tiny box, from both Celestion and B&C. Note that Alex Claber has rightly pointed out that Celestion use an older much more conservative method of calculating Xmax compared to Eminence.
Having a quick gander at the specs, the Celestion green label 10"s will be much bassier than the Orange label, or their NTR10-2520E is an absolute monster for a little 10" neo.

WinISD is quite straightforward if you understand the terminology and follow the instructions in the help file about loading driver specs, letting WinISD calculate a lot of them for you. Use the newest version of the program as it's much more versatile.

Edited by LawrenceH

ok, it isn't really finished, but this is where it is now, and it has proved the principle.
I've done several gigs with it and the Shuttle including last night at the Wheatsheaf in
Oxford, and it's not bad at all. As we all know, the size, bassiness and loudness is a 3-way compromise, but
this fits it's purpose, in an acoustic duo, fine, with a band with not too loud drummer, fine too, surprising really.

[attachment=48066:P1010476.JPG]

[attachment=48067:P1010477.JPG]

[attachment=48068:P1010478.JPG]

It's got a Speakon connector, the feet are halved squash balls (my other passion!) and the Shuttle retaining strap is a leather belt that the buckel had come off.
It stands about 13" high, well, youcan pretty much scale it from the speaker. The volume is about 1 cu foot and the shelf port is about 8 inches long and about an inch high.
I offset the speaker a bit on the baffle in case I wanted to drop a tweeter in, but haven't found it necessary so far.
(it would also mean actually spending some more money, and did I mention that I'm a tight git!!)

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='815414' date='Apr 22 2010, 08:23 PM']I offset the speaker a bit on the baffle in case I wanted to drop a tweeter in, but haven't found it necessary so far.[/quote]

If anyone asks, you offset the speaker to smooth the midrange response. It means the waves reflecting from the sides don't reach the speaker at the same time, so you even out the bumps that they cause.

Actually that particular Celestion models excellently in WinISD ( especially if you use an adjusted Xmax for direct comparison to other manufacturers and to give a better idea of 'real world' limits). For a 30l box you can tune it very low indeed before it runs out of xmax at 200w input. I'd suggest somewhere between 50 and 55 Hz, or you could go as low as 45Hz and you'll lose a bit around 60Hz but you'll only be 10dB down at 40Hz with a nice smooth, gradual rising curve above that.

I fancy one of these in 12mm poplar :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='815618' date='Apr 22 2010, 11:27 PM']If anyone asks, you offset the speaker to smooth the midrange response. It means the waves reflecting from the sides don't reach the speaker at the same time, so you even out the bumps that they cause.[/quote]
Well, that was so obvious I didn't think it was worth mentioning... :)