Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass with P pickup

descendent87

Starting to look for a new bass and I love the look of Jazz basses but the sound (and neck) of P-Basses. So was wondering are there any Jazz basses with P pickups (would prefer P neck aswell) apart from the mark hoppus sig?
Also does anyone know any UK sites that sell the new [url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0138300306"]Mark Hoppus Jazz Bass[/url] (in black or olympic white)?
My other thought was buying a cheap Jazz and Precision then modding them (would end up with a precision with a jazz neck aswell) but how would I go about filling the old pickup holes in then cutting out for the P pickup?

Edited by descendent87

[quote name='Clarky' post='567470' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:20 PM']The Fender Reggie Hamilton has a P and a J pickup [url="http://www.fender.com/customshop/instruments/search.php?partno=0158400806"]http://www.fender.com/customshop/instrumen...rtno=0158400806[/url][/quote]

Ya beat me to it!

That's what I've got (it's in my sig). Best bass ever!

[quote name='descendent87' post='569564' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:20 PM']Thanks, not too keen on the Reggie Hamilton (not a fan of active). Some of those jap ones were nice.
Still trying to find a UK site that sells the new Mark Hoppus ones to see what prices are like[/quote]

Have you checked out the shuker guitars web site? I have a Jazz with a P neck, pick up wise he will build it any which way you like, I'm v pleased with mine, looks & sounds great, depends on budget I suppose.

Sorry, bit of a dumb@ss question but does the P pickup on a Jazz-bodied P/J (like the one from Guitar Emporium above) acccurately replicate the sound of a P-bass or does its placement (which looks slightly nearer the neck to me than on a P-bass) mean slightly different tonal characteristics?

Clarky
I've had a [i]none more black [/i]Aerodyne (I'm holding it in my avatar), a Precision Bass Special and going back a few years, an old Ibanez Roadster all with the P/J configuration.

I gotta say from the outset that my old Precision was a completely different beastie to any of the aforementioned basses; it was thirty-odd years old and the pickup hadn't a Fender issue in fifteen years, so in truth I can't really comment on whether the sound is replicated. To be honest (as is the case with all my basses), I'd always tended to play these guitars with everything full on...no quarter. The stock Aerodyne was easily the best of the bunch.

While I can understand the merits of each pickup, I've always have always tended to put as hot as signal as possible to the amp and then let amp do everything else. I've also very little experience of current Precisions.

Gotta say though, when I saw the bass I posted, my heart did a little flutter.

Best
P

[quote name='Clarky' post='570619' date='Aug 16 2009, 01:19 PM']Sorry, bit of a dumb@ss question but does the P pickup on a Jazz-bodied P/J (like the one from Guitar Emporium above) acccurately replicate the sound of a P-bass or does its placement (which looks slightly nearer the neck to me than on a P-bass) mean slightly different tonal characteristics?[/quote]

Edited by NancyJohnson

I have a an Aerodyne, it's the Jap version with fretmarkers and a scratch plate, it will be going up for sale shortly. Need to weight it and figure out some postage costs first as well as sort a couple of other things out first.

It's a very nice bass to play, it's in need of a bit of a tweak in the setup but it's still very nice. Easily one of the best necks I've ever played.

This is a picture I took a couple of years ago when I bought it, it's still in the same pretty much mint condition:

[quote name='descendent87' post='570685' date='Aug 16 2009, 03:04 PM']Quite tempted on an aerodyne, problem is I have no decent music shops close that I can try anything in[/quote]

Ive never heard a bad word about them. I was gas'ing for one for ages until I got this shuker (which looks a lot like it actually except its just got jazz pups)
Looks like they keep their value a LOT too, £600 new, £500 2nd hand. I was really tempted to buy it new even without hearing it first.

[quote name='Buzz' post='571042' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:58 PM']I have a an Aerodyne, it's the Jap version with fretmarkers and a scratch plate, it will be going up for sale shortly. Need to weight it and figure out some postage costs first as well as sort a couple of other things out first.
It's a very nice bass to play, it's in need of a bit of a tweak in the setup but it's still very nice. Easily one of the best necks I've ever played.[/quote]
How much you looking for? Seriously tempted by this

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='571055' date='Aug 16 2009, 09:10 PM']Ive never heard a bad word about them. I was gas'ing for one for ages until I got this shuker (which looks a lot like it actually except its just got jazz pups)
Looks like they keep their value a LOT too, £600 new, £500 2nd hand. I was really tempted to buy it new even without hearing it first.[/quote]

I picked up mine from the US - eBay. £345 at the time - incl. hardcase. shipping was c.£70. Bargain.

The guy (seller was thomasldh) was selling Aerodynes almost exclusively at the time; he was knocking out dozens of them.
P