Why become a member? ×

Vigier Arpege 80's cracker of a bass NOW SOLD

vmaxblues

Hi guys,

NOW SOLD

If I hadn't just spent a fortune on some new acquisitions i wouldn't be letting this beauty go.

It is an 80's Vigier Arpege, which has been overhauled professionally by one of very own BC'ers and Patrice Vigier, all new electronics.

This is a ricky like Vigier with a gorgeous neck, which I believe has a solid brass plate under the fingerboard. It sounds stunning and plays itself (almost).

It is a quirky but very professional instrument, and has an incredible array of tones through the upgraded circuitry.

The previous owner (Eubassix if I recall correctly) made a new scratchplate for it and did all the work, and got all the new electronics from Mr Vigier, the result was a really nice shiny gloss black Vigier in great shape, with a great sound.

It is very hard to price, so I am going to offer it at the price I recall paying for it, which was a steal!

£500 collected from Hereford or delivered at the buyers cost.

As I keep saying, I am no photographer, so forgive my poor photographs

Cheers

Stuart

Edited by vmaxblues

[quote name='RhysP' post='567005' date='Aug 12 2009, 05:24 PM']Does this Vigier have a carbon fibre neck?
Is that the original bridge?[/quote]

Allow me to field this one:

The bridge is not original. The original one was a sort of custom affair with cylindrical barrels and what not. The bridge has been put in the place of this system and looks like it fits quite well. The Schaller 3D was fitted to Passion basses of the same era.

The neck is pre-carbon; Vigier used a brass laminate under the fingerboard (ebony IIRC) for stability and y all accounts it worked very well, the hardest part was getting the materials to bond, according to Patrice Vigier.

Crazy and unique French design - with stunning and innovative results. Top drawer!

ped

Here is a fretless version where you can see its original layout:
[url="http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7466/vigierarpegedeltamtalgo4.jpg"]http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7466/vi...eltamtalgo4.jpg[/url]

Cheers
ped

Just to add some support: Ped's quite right (as usual) re. the specs./changes to the bass. Stuart is also right re. price (as purchased). The bass when I first received it was in a bit of a sorry (though still eminently playable) state. Mainly aesthetic, although the original electronics had been butchered and replaced with some basic, passive system (with many of the knobs & switches inactive). There was a very poor scratchplate which covered an area where the body had been (and remains, I guess) opened-up (to sort-of match the rear access area) - no idea why this has been done ?!!
With some time & patience + advice (and some parts) from both Ped and Patrice, I managed to get the bass back to what you see now. The electronics are right, but mounted onto the pick-guard/board above the butchered body, and I removed a fair bit of Dulux-black from the area between the pickups, deciding to leave this as 'natural' once it had been tidied. The rest was just cleaning and setting-up etc. The results are not perfect, but it seemed the best for a Vigier in the £500 region (not many of those about, of course). To have gone beyond this (and to have truly restored the bass to or near original) would have cost so much it would have been better to source a nearly-new example. Hope this helps - it's a nice bass .. and a Vigier you wouldn't worry too much about gigging and taking out on-the-road.

"It is very hard to price, so I am going to offer it at the price I recall paying for it, which was a steal!

£500 collected from Hereford or delivered at the buyers cost."

Steal is not the word mate! :) I think the Doctor may PM you Lol.

Good Luck

Dave

[quote name='cd_david' post='567059' date='Aug 12 2009, 06:04 PM']"It is very hard to price, so I am going to offer it at the price I recall paying for it, which was a steal!

£500 collected from Hereford or delivered at the buyers cost."

Steal is not the word mate! :) I think the Doctor may PM you Lol.

Good Luck

Dave[/quote]

The Doctor would have it in a flash but his depleted finances are waiting for a ton of money from theatre which then has to pay mundane billages!!! I must stop talking in the third person!

I remember this bass when it was on Ebay!

Bumpe! (French!)

• 9 months later...

Who was the lucky buyer? That has to be one of the best looking basses I ever saw! Let me know if it is to change hands again, I'ld love to try it out :)

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='567259' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:07 PM']NOW SOLD

Thanks for all the comments guys[/quote]