Why become a member? ×

Markbass users - advice please

theheed

I'm in the process of trying to put together a second hand (or pre-loved) rig which will I will use in 2 different bands so needs to be completely portable - ie bass gig bag on my back, head in one hand and cab in the other. On crowded London transport.

I've been hiring a Hartke 3500 and a 4x10 which has been more than loud enough for every gig we've done so far, so ideally need something with similar punch - but the portability outlined above.

I've pretty much settled on Markbass - from what I've tried in the Bass centre and GAK (a Jeff Berlin) - I love the tone and was impressed by the output - IMO tighter and with more clarity and volume than a lot of 4x10s I've hired in the past.

I've ruled out a 1x12 combo. as I think it may 'fart' at the volumes needed.

So at the moment I'm wathcing a Little Mark II on ebay and may bid on that if it doesn't go daft in the last few minutes!

Then I need to track down a cab. I want a Traveler. But the 2x10 or the 1x15?

So Markbass users out there I need your opinions. How do they compare in tone and output?

I suspect that the 2x10 may stay tighter but less 'in your chest' deep as the volume goes up. I know the Jeff Berlin had the depth but will it start farting if I use it over half volume?

(As a rule we only fart in out band if the audience request it and the venue has the required ventilation.)

Any view are welcome.

Cheers Andy

Edited by theheed

Im a bit confused about the title as you mention a 151P but dont mention it in your text.
Seeing as i have used the 151P 9older, smaller version) ill tell you what i thought of it running from my SA450 (same output as the LMII).
Rubbish. I thought it was rubbish and my band thought it was rubbish. And these guys never comment on my sound.
I wanted a one cab solution for playing covers in WMC's and weddings functions etc. I also have a Schroeder 1210 but use that with my other band.
The 151P had a very nice low end but i felt that it was a low low end. It rattled the windows at work but didnt seem to have any musical tone to it if that makes sense. I did two smallish gigs with it and had to have my amp up over half way on the master just to keep up. And once i got to that level the cab started sounding very compressed and just wouldn't get any louder. I had no real midrange punch either. these were venues i had played before and since with other cabs and have not had any trouble being heard.
I mentioned this over on TB and Pete Murray replied (might have been in a PM though) that his favourite small cab was the 1x12. He said it has a better low end and of course more mid punch so it sounds louder. This i believe is like the Jeff Berlin combo but with a tweeter in it. I tried one and it did indeed sound fuller but i must admit i also thought it might fart out at gigs so i went for an Epifani UL115. what a difference that cab made.

There is a MK1 151p in the for sale section i think. They are very tiny cabs though and would suit public transport. Just be careful you dont go too small as your tone will suffer IMO.

Sorry if i have been rambling on for nothing, just wanted to tell you my experience with MB cabs.

Sorry about that. I meant I was tossing up between the Traveler 102P or the Traveler 151P.

Thanks very much for your reply. It's good to hear other people's experiences.

The Jeff Berlin is a 1x15 and did have tons of low end.

I've seen the 151P for sale and in fact it's just been reduced. But to be honest, it's not the best looking cab in the world - a bit too yellow - although for the right price I wouldn't rule it out.

There's also a guy raving about his new CMD121P combo, which looks incredibly small in the photo of him holding it - unless he's a dwarf of course! There's one of those going on ebay at the moment too.

I'd love to hear what people have to say about the 2x10 though as I've never tested one of those.

Thanks again for your comments.

Sorry, yes, slip of the finger. Your right the JB is the 1x15.
It was the 121H Pete Murray was talking about and was the one i tried in the Bass Centre.
I would agree that MKI 151P is pretty ugly.
As you can tell im not a fan of the MB cabs but i would say if your going small you will be better getting something with more midrange like a 1x12 or 2x10 than a 1x15. You will never get a full loud clean sound out of the Traveler series cabs IMHO but with the right EQ you can at least get heard.
I think they have recently be re designed and so might be a bit bigger now.
A combo sounds like a good idea to me if you are using public transport.

I have a markbass 102 combo. it's tight and punchy and certainly has plenty of bottom end. I haven't tried a 1x15 markbass but based on my recent experience of changing from a 1x15 + 4x10 ashdown stack with a Hartke HA5500 head. I think you'd be amazed at the markbass 2x10 and would certainly reccomend giving it a try.

Edited by lonestar

Thanks again.

I've always liked the idea of a 2x10 traveler. Somehow, it seems a more managebale size to carry - less bulky on its end - than the 1x15.

Also it was one of those which brought my attention to Markbass - I was in the Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells a while ago and listening to a jazz funk-ish quartet from Brighton with a female vocalist. They were on the bandstand outside and the bass was hitting me in the stomach in a really nice way. I talked to the guy afterwards about his setup - a Littlemark II and a Traveler 102. I was amazed at the volume and clarity and immediately fell in love with a brand I'd never really thought about before.

Granted, his bass was a Goodfellow and way out of my budget, but I was completely blown away.

By the way, if you're reading this post and are thinking , "That sounds like me. I played that gig in the Pantiles and some half-pi**ed skinhead bloke came up and waffled on about how good my rig was." thanks for a cool gig and the intro to Markbass.

Andy

Edited by theheed

A few months ago, I missed out on the old CMD102P on ebay.

I was tiling the bathroom and completely lost track of time so didn't get to my PC.

Only one person bid, and they got it for £350.

To say I was gutted is a gross understatement!

[quote name='theheed' post='59861' date='Sep 13 2007, 01:26 PM']A few months ago, I missed out on the old CMD102P on ebay.

I was tiling the bathroom and completely lost track of time so didn't get to my PC.

Only one person bid, and they got it for £350.

To say I was gutted is a gross understatement![/quote]

I bet you were. I feel your pain! especially as i paid nearly £800 for mine.

I've owned a 151 traveller and a pair of 102 traveller cabs.

The 151 was loud to my ears and produced decent lows and volume. (I know Dave disagrees and that's fine - just goes to show how personal and subjective sound can be)

My main problem was that I had a little trouble hearing myself at some gigs with the 151. So I bought a 102 trav, stacked it on the 151 and loved the sound.

Then I started to prefer the 102 sound so I bought another 102 and stacked them 4 speakers high. ie both cabs on their sides.

Please try for yourself. My preference is for the 102 over the 151 but that's just me. IMO the 102 is louder and punchier and fuller sounding.
Also, it's deffo and easier shape to carry and a little lighter I think.
Frank

Edited by machinehead

Allo!

I've just joined up here and without boring people, I'm a pro bassist covering every imaginable gig scenario from '30s dinner jazz to full on funk etc. I've bought a selection of Markbass gear (check out my equipment page at [url="http://www.freewebs.com/doctor_bass"]http://www.freewebs.com/doctor_bass[/url] for the details) to cover 99.9993% of eventualities and to be honest, my favourite piece is the CMD102-P 2 x 10" combo! I've owned it for 2 years; it was one of the first `wasp coloured' units and was the actual review model featured in The Guitar and Bass magazine. It has never let me down - I swear by it, not at it!

I'll never forget the very first gig I did with it - a twin lead guitar setup playing original blues and `classic' covers such as Hendrix etc. I stacked the combo ontop of one of my old flitecase box lids so as to get it off the floor. I'm stood there, the amp looking tiny - I'm thinking `...is this really going to work, i'm used to an EBS 4 x 10" plus HD350'. Anyway, it delivered big time! A guy comes up to me after the first set....`can you turn your bass down a bit mate' - i'm like `YES'!!! I think that due to the clear reproduction of tone, the old style of `earthmoving' low end from many other amp makers is now a thing of the past. They (Markbass) have spent a lot of time (imho) working on cabinet porting and I believe that this is what makes the combo sound so clear, and a big thing for me, the tone is completely transparent. I've got 45 basses (I know I know!!) - not of all them are working instruments but the ones that get used are expressed very faithfully and uncoloured which I something I have wanted for many years; came pretty close with my SWR rig and to an extent with EBS but the markbass stuff does it for me!!

Sorry, waffling!

Cheers!

Nick

Edited by doctor_of_the_bass

Hi Nick, welcome.
Can i just ask about you placing your combo on a box lid to get it off the stage.
Im not too hot on these matters but wouldn't that act in a similar way to just placing it on the stage. wouldn't it increase the boom?

Anyway, back to the topic. ive seen a couple of small, outside function gigs with bass players using the 210 combo and it is indeed a good one to get your sound across and heard clearly. very tight sound IMO.

Cheers

EDIT: Bloody hell Nick, 46 guitars!!!!! thats amazing. nice pic of them all in the garden.

Edited by dave_bass5

Hi Dave

The use of the flitecase was intended to get it closer to ear level, the actual box itself did not actually make a huge difference in that particular venue. However, unwanted booms from hollow stages can be a nightmare but that applies to all instruments placed on said surface! Worst one was a hotel in Manchester! BMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

PS - that pic of the basses is not the complete collection!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='60345' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:18 PM']Hi Dave

The use of the flitecase was intended to get it closer to ear level, the actual box itself did not actually make a huge difference in that particular venue. However, unwanted booms from hollow stages can be a nightmare but that applies to all instruments placed on said surface! Worst one was a hotel in Manchester! BMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

PS - that pic of the basses is not the complete collection![/quote]

Cheers nick.
Would love to see the whole lot lined up.

I agree about the stages. one of my bands do a lot of WMC's around the south east and they all have wooden stages. some are a nightmare but a few are really nice to play on. Its finding the right balance between not too much boom on stage but not too little low end out front.

Hi!

See my post elsewhere in this section.

I just bought a 151p, and I bl**dy love it. I use three main Basses, all very different, and all sound fantastic! Several people have commented the sound is bassy and rich, but isnt "hear-able". Stuff and nonsense IMHO!!! Just don't over-use the VLE or VPF.

I've had some very big rigs in my 30 years of playing experience, and I am amazed such a tiny thing could be SO impressive!

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='60353' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:35 PM']Hi!

I just bought a 151p, and I bl**dy love it. I use three main Basses, all very different, and all sound fantastic! Several people have commented the sound is bassy and rich, but isnt "hear-able". Stuff and nonsense IMHO!!! Just don't over-use the VLE or VPF.

I've had some very big rigs in my 30 years of playing experience, and I am amazed such a tiny thing could be SO impressive![/quote]

PS. Mine is the current model, it has a tweeter (so bright it can feedback badly if you use too much VPF!) just the speaker is orange, and [b]no[/b] it certainly does [b]not[/b] fart!!

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='60353' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:35 PM']Hi!

I've had some very big rigs in my 30 years of playing experience, and I am amazed such a tiny thing could be SO impressive![/quote]

Exactly, IYHO. Certainly not Stuff and nonsense though.
so if you have the current version then its not the same as the one i had and so not really fare to tell me i couldnt hear it. Mine would have been smaller (in fact its square).

when i took mine back we plugged it in to a LMII in the shop and also tested out a UL115, same settings etc, just unplugged one for the other. what a difference. A lot more volume but also the UL115 sounded very full and deep with loads of punch and sweet highs. even the guy in the shop said the 151P is more part of a system than a stand alone.
YMMV of course.

Edited by dave_bass5

My 151 is also the previous model - about an 18" cube I think.

I emailed Markbass about the 151 dimensions not matching the other cabs in the lightweight range. It always annoyed me (but only slightly) that the 102 was narrower than the 151 if the 102 was on its side. If I stack the 102 on top in a side-by-side orientation, it's wider and forms a T shape if that makes sense?

I like to think that Markbass took note of my point and the new 151 now matches the 102 dimensionally. Full mark to Markbass for listening to customers.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't like the 151 - I like it very much, but just prefer the 102.

Frank

[quote name='machinehead' post='60376' date='Sep 14 2007, 01:07 PM']My 151 is also the previous model - about an 18" cube I think.

I emailed Markbass about the 151 dimensions not matching the other cabs in the lightweight range. It always annoyed me (but only slightly) that the 102 was narrower than the 151 if the 102 was on its side. If I stack the 102 on top in a side-by-side orientation, it's wider and forms a T shape if that makes sense?

I like to think that Markbass took note of my point and the new 151 now matches the 102 dimensionally. Full mark to Markbass for listening to customers.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't like the 151 - I like it very much, but just prefer the 102.

Frank[/quote]

There were quit a lot of people emailing them about that.
just goes to show that at least MB listen to their customers.

[quote name='theheed' post='59756' date='Sep 13 2007, 10:48 AM']I'm in the process of trying to put together a second hand (or pre-loved) rig which will I will use in 2 different bands so needs to be completely portable - ie bass gig bag on my back, head in one hand and cab in the other. On crowded London transport.

I've been hiring a Hartke 3500 and a 4x10 which has been more than loud enough for every gig we've done so far, so ideally need something with similar punch - but the portability outlined above.

I've pretty much settled on Markbass - from what I've tried in the Bass centre and GAK (a Jeff Berlin) - I love the tone and was impressed by the output - IMO tighter and with more clarity and volume than a lot of 4x10s I've hired in the past.

I've ruled out a 1x12 combo. as I think it may 'fart' at the volumes needed.

So at the moment I'm wathcing a Little Mark II on ebay and may bid on that if it doesn't go daft in the last few minutes!

Then I need to track down a cab. I want a Traveler. But the 2x10 or the 1x15?

So Markbass users out there I need your opinions. How do they compare in tone and output?

I suspect that the 2x10 may stay tighter but less 'in your chest' deep as the volume goes up. I know the Jeff Berlin had the depth but will it start farting if I use it over half volume?

(As a rule we only fart in out band if the audience request it and the venue has the required ventilation.)

Any view are welcome.

Cheers Andy[/quote]
Check the new Mark Bass SINGLE unit amplifier that still gives a ton of power into 4 ohms (two of their cabs).
I believe there is or will be a mid sized Mark Bass 2x10 with a single FRONT port.
I run the larger 2x10 and the Traveller 2x10 (off a Mark Bass 2 channel LMK).
In case you didn't know, the larger has 2 front ports top and bottom, the Traveller a single rear port and is much smaller in height and not as deep.The larger cab has more bass end than the traveller.
I think both cabs are brilliant and feel the newer "mid sized" cab will have the best of both worlds. Remember that their amps have a really good eq section so gaining more bass should not be a problem.
It will all come down to volume needed in the end. Good luck.

I've not tried the 15" but have used a 2x10" Traveller for a medium size jazz gig ( with my Little Mark II) and didn't want to give it back. Surprisingly warm sounding and realy clear. The owner uses it with a double bass and a GK head and it sounds great in that role too. After the gig I did try cranking it to rock levels and it still didn't seem too bothered or stressed.

When I've recovered fomr my impulse buy of a Wav electric upright earlier this week, a Traveller 2x10 is next on my shopping list :)

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='theheed' post='59832' date='Sep 13 2007, 12:56 PM']There's also a guy raving about his new CMD121P combo, which looks incredibly small in the photo of him holding it - unless he's a dwarf of course! There's one of those going on ebay at the moment too.[/quote]
If you mean me I'm 6'5" ish :)

I shall post more after a gig tomorrow night, but it more than held its own at rehearsal last week. It's not incredibly tall, but is a;most as deep as high. That said there is no weight to it at all and it handled low B's on the 5 with no problem

[quote name='theheed' post='59756' date='Sep 13 2007, 10:48 AM']I've ruled out a 1x12 combo. as I think it may 'fart' at the volumes needed.

(As a rule we only fart in out band if the audience request it and the venue has the required ventilation.)[/quote]
I think you might be surprised. It certainly seemed MUCH louder than my old Trace 122H 2x10 combo and, probably because of the rear port, was plenty deep enough and shook the hall we practice in.

Edited by WalMan

Cool, I have a Traveler 102p.

It is the way to go if portability on public transport is the key - although for a long walk I would get one of those lightweight sack truck trolley things.

I use mine with a LMII head, and it is fine. It will not go as deep as my other cab (the standard 102HF, the one with the front ports), but that is a lot bigger and heavier. The trav alone is fine for most applications,, but will not emit the deep deep sub style rumble - it is just too small. However, as a compromise it is really really good. I got mine from Mike at the Bass Merchant, and he prefers the Aguilar 112 cabs, but they are heavier, and alledgedly a bit mid scooped....

The trav is very punchy, and you sometimes need to tame the midrange a bit, but a pull back on the low mid EQ on the LMII sorts things out nicely. It WILL fart a bit if you hammer the cab, but you will be playing very loud when this happens.

It is all about compromise IMHO, and the cab does it for me. I am always PA supported, so it acts as my onstage monitor, but it WILL project over larger club style rooms etc. As an aside, it sounds immense when paired with my other larger 2*10.

I am actually thinking about getting the 121H combo for ultimate ease of setup - anyone got any comparisions between the 12" and 2*10 configs?

Cheers

Chris