Why become a member? ×

If you were starting again as a beginner . . .

timmyo

I see a lot of people here are completely against using tablature - why?! What is it about staff notation which makes it appropriate for basses? I've always thought of it as being best for keyboards but not ideal for any stringed instrument at all... obviously I'm missing something here, so please could someone spell it out for me and also perhaps suggest some good exercises for learning bass clef? I've already started learning it coz I know it's useful, but I can't see why you'd actually want to avoid using tabs altogether...

Anyway, if I could go back I'd start playing bass a lot sooner! I'd concentrate on my left ring and pinky finger strength

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='100212' date='Dec 6 2007, 02:05 PM']I see a lot of people here are completely against using tablature - why?! What is it about staff notation which makes it appropriate for basses? I've always thought of it as being best for keyboards but not ideal for any stringed instrument at all... obviously I'm missing something here, so please could someone spell it out for me and also perhaps suggest some good exercises for learning bass clef? I've already started learning it coz I know it's useful, but I can't see why you'd actually want to avoid using tabs altogether...[/quote]

I'd be a hypocrite to say that tab is bad, because my reading skills are apalling. However, I have to re-write so much fo the tab I come across because it's just wrong and is so often fixated with playing parts in the open position wherever possible. It's also dependant on the tuning your instrument is in. It seems bizarre to download instructions to play a song that depend upon the tuning of the instrument (usually at the top of the page) being included and correct.

The point of being a good musician is knowing the sound of your instrument and the fretboard well enough that you can make an informed choice as to which position to play a part. This is the key to standard notation.

I'd also like to add that 1 finger per fret isn't the be all and end all. If your hands are big enough to facilitate it then fine, but anyone concentrating solely on using 1 finger per fret runs the risk of injuring themselves. There's nothing wrong with 124 fingering. Upright players have been using it for centuries.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='100226' date='Dec 6 2007, 02:20 PM']I'd also like to add that 1 finger per fret isn't the be all and end all. If your hands are big enough to facilitate it then fine, but anyone concentrating solely on using 1 finger per fret runs the risk of injuring themselves. There's nothing wrong with 124 fingering. Upright players have been using it for centuries.[/quote]

yeah, but the problem i encountered a few years ago was I had to double a fast guitar riff- a scale run-down over 4 frets, all 4 strings in 2nd position.
1 finger per fret was the best way to play it cleanly.
I'm comfortable with it now, but wouldn't want to try it on extra-long scale basses.

on a 5string you could play it higher up the neck.

re. tab, I think working things out by ear is very important-
a good ear saves a lot of time when learning original songs in a band.
also it comes in handy if you have a vocal part that's difficult to remember- if you can place the note to remember by name.

and it's annoying when guitarists can't pick up a riff I play to them.

To be honest, I wouldn't do a whole lot differently, at least nothing too major. Perhaps started reading earlier, adopt a classical guitar position when seated (how I coped before that I don't know), stopped ogling pretty guitars when I could've been practicing, and finally, been confident enough to not be phased by people who told me what I was playing was wrong. Those 'wrong' notes/bits put me on the right path.

Mark

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='100445' date='Dec 6 2007, 07:11 PM']what sort of music do you get given? Bass clef? Chord chart? Or just "listen to this song and play a bass line"??[/quote]

Just about all that......and more...!
Never seen Tab though....
Proberly someone on here has.

Garry

learning songs by ear, and from a chord chart, for me, in my limited experience outside of playing in bands.

I'm very doubtful that anyone would tab out a part for you to play though- they might as well get a bass and play it themselves.

[quote name='SJA' post='101771' date='Dec 9 2007, 04:19 PM']learning songs by ear, and from a chord chart, for me, in my limited experience outside of playing in bands.

I'm very doubtful that anyone would tab out a part for you to play though- they might as well get a bass and play it themselves.[/quote]

I'll make an admission here that took me years to admit to myself. I should of taken my instrument more seriously. Playing bass has been like a second appendenge to me. Just natural. I can listen to just about anything and learn it...I said just about...their are bassists out there that amaze me.....My regret is/was that I had to much fun playing the wannabe rock star, instead of playing my instrument. As I have been disabled for the last 3 plus years now, (stroke) and playing bass has actually been prescribed to me for therapy, I have gotten much better, cleaner and quicker. If I would of taken my gift more seriously when I was younger, who knows what could of happened.

I played Rickenbacker's from the beginning, early 70's and actually could get our local music store to become dead quite when I would go in and try out new amps. I always had my Black Ric with me and I just had a natural feel from my heart when I played. I have probably played in reality, maybe 10 years out of the 35 that I have been playing.

So to all of you guys out there that are starting or who are tired of practicing. Just keep doing it man....because it is it's own best reward. Now when I feel down or upset about things, I just go into my music room and play. Slap a bit and rip off some Chris Squire riffs.....or just discover what the bass really means ...not the wannabe rock star....not the man who wasted a lot of time, but the instrument that can just take your mind and soul away from everyday things for a while.

Keep playing.....

[quote name='steve' post='59697' date='Sep 13 2007, 07:54 AM']+1

for me it would be sight-reading, right hand technique, theory (all the stuff i'm trying to do now :) )[/quote]

+2 I'm doing exactly the same and imagining how fabulous a player I could have been for all those years if I'd started down the right path from the beginning ...

If I were starting again as a beginner........

I wouldn't have given up at the age of 21 and sold all my gear in order to waste money on fast cars for 23 years. If I'd kept at it I might be a half decent musician now, but alas.