Why become a member? ×

Strap-locks

Shaggy

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='70531' date='Oct 7 2007, 10:31 AM']Ouch!

How did they fail, what didn't work?[/quote]

The little mechanism that locks the male bit into the female bit on the button just failed and it slid out while I had my hand up adjusting a microphone. I managed to get loads of sympathy and kind words from another bassophile that was there but to be fair to the Lakland, it didn't even go out of tune. :) Good job it's akeeper, that would have knocked a few quid off the residual.

[quote name='99ster' post='59204' date='Sep 12 2007, 12:27 PM']And another vote for Grolsch straplocks - these are used by loads of other pro players... especially good on vintage basses where you don't want to mess with the original strap buttons.
A no-brainer![/quote]

I have one small problem with this - where do you find those Grolsch bottles? I have been on the look out for [i]months [/i]and can't find anywhere that stocks them. The Grolsch ring-pulls don't work half as well!

If anyone's got a couple of them spare I'll paypal you the cost of a bottle of Grolsch in return.

elom

[quote name='elom' post='70875' date='Oct 8 2007, 12:36 AM']I have one small problem with this - where do you find those Grolsch bottles? I have been on the look out for [i]months [/i]and can't find anywhere that stocks them. The Grolsch ring-pulls don't work half as well!

If anyone's got a couple of them spare I'll paypal you the cost of a bottle of Grolsch in return.

elom[/quote]

Bars have them, the sort of bars that are overprice and full of a-holes generally. I have a ready supply, being an a-hole and all. That last part isn't true, I had to persuade my teetotal housemate to have a bottle so I wouldn't have to spend a second drinking time in that bar.

bob got me some "boston" ones for my mule, and there faultless. even if the mechanism does fail (A VERY heavy spring pull out system) the lock is enclosed on one side, meaning that as long as you wernt jumping up and down itd hold anyway.
i thnik someone posted about them on the other thread :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='59899' date='Sep 13 2007, 01:50 PM']Forgot to mention that one Mr David Gilmour can clearly be seen employing "the Grolsch method" on the Live8 concert footage.

Can we view that as "tacit endorsement"? :) :huh:[/quote]

And Mr Pino Palladino as seen playing for The Who on Jools Holland...
:huh:

Edited by 99ster

i've got schallers on my basses and jim dunlop dual design on my les paul
the JD ones are very good and very secure, but when they're in use, the combination of the lock and the button is huge.

if you buy the schaller strap buttons from allparts, you get massive great big screws that are a direct replacement (threadwise) for EB MM, and Fender - mine swapped straight over - although I do definitely agree that if you get the complete schaller set, the screws are rubbish.

Schallers on the Warwicks (as was OE when they were made), Bostons on the Tsais, and the Axl before them, and the Variax 300. The only solid-body I've got which doesn't have them is the fretless Squier Strat, and that's because I don't [s]play[/s] gig it.