Why become a member? ×

New Fender Amps

Musicman20

'Hybrid Bass Amplifier Combo (12AX7 Vacuum-Tube Preamp/Efficient Class-D Power Amp)'

Even though I wasn't going to buy one, they took my eye as my eyes always roam to nice looking gear, (same with women really....hahaha).

[url="http://www.fender.co.uk/fba/bassmantv/"]http://www.fender.co.uk/fba/bassmantv/[/url]

Nice site though.

Edited by Musicman20

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Buzz' post='556122' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:16 PM']God, they look ugly.[/quote]

:rolleyes: Horses for courses, eh? It's the look of them that really attracts me!

[quote]Although, it does make me wonder if we're going to see a 50's revivial soon, it's about the only time period recently that hasn't been revisited in general fashion.[/quote]

Always seemed kinda strange to me that the serious retro boom in guitar gear hasn't been reflected in the bass arena.... I guess bass players in general aren't so backward looking as guitarists can be? Certainly seems to me that bassists are always much more open minded when it comes to choices of woods, electronics, new amp types, or, hell, anything which isn't how Leo and Les thought it out back in the early fifties.... :) Me, I love the old fifties aesthetics, so I'd really jump on an amp like this. Shame is, though, that it's so pricey..... maybe a trend towards fifties style in bassworld would mean a much wider range of more affordable amps of this aesthetic. Say, for example, Peavy doing a bass version of their Classic series, a range of guitar amps that provide the 50s tweedy look and great quality tube sounds significantly cheaper than Fenders were when released - I think that competition was really good for Fender.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='556149' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:42 PM']The sound samples of the precision through the 1x15 and 1x12 models are quite nice. No idea how true to source they are though.

Nice to see Fender doing a new bass amp, but c'mon, make it all tube.[/quote]

I've seen the tubes vs non-tubes argument a million times with guitarists... personally, I don't care much, it's all about price and sound for me. With bass, given that I tend to play clean all the time and the real value of tubes for me is in their semi-dirty sound, Solid State is just fine by me. These do seem relatively pricey, though, for a SS amp with a tube in the pre-amp. I would expect to be able to buy a guitar equivalent for maybe £350? Maybe if there are a few other companies catch on to the tweed look for bass amps, they'll have to rethink the pricing structure.