Why become a member? ×

Addicted To This Video Jam

JBassist

Never understood what the fuzz about Flea is all about... he is a good bassplayer but nothing special.
Harmonically rarely exciting and those endless grooves in E are okay for half a minute but then it bores me. I think because there are so few bassplayers in his position in a leading rockfunk-band that he gets the attention. Still I love his playing on "Aeroplane" for instance. He is sloppy though so he and the drummer make a good team.
Pro tools is used a lot during their recording sessions.
I used to have the same envelope filter but it bothered me that it added +10 db when I used it and those volumepeaks were not ok.
I have an Emma Discumbulator and that is much better and stays at the same level as the dry signal.

Well, on the other side, I can see, why he is so influential on young bassists - his fingerstyle grooves are, let's say, catchy and challenging [i]enough [/i]'at the beginning'..

Ok ok, maybe McBride's grooves with J.Redman are [i]catchier [/i]than Flea's, but, then again, I was talking about [i]the beginning[/i], eh.. :)

But then again, there's a great chance, a young bassist stays with that [i]rock'n'roll [/i]Flea's style and we get one more 'musician' in the game, who can't even read a damn note..

Pros and cons there, as you see.. as always.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='acidbass' post='546647' date='Jul 21 2009, 04:11 PM']It sounds like it should be the background music in a Pro Evolution Soccer game![/quote]
Or in the background for the Sky TV Guide thing.

Nothing against the guy mind.

i love flea and i love this jam. :wub:

</gay>

Crap like this got me into playing the damn 4-string baise. He's inspiring for teenaged-testosterone-filled-bastards like me......
....doesnt make him the best bassist in the world tho.

Everybody knows it's Faithless :brow: .

[quote name='Buzz' post='546790' date='Jul 21 2009, 05:54 PM']And people ask why people think he's one of the worlds top bassists, there's an answer.

Slapping sounds rather good through Flea's hands and the filter though.[/quote]I really cant see this..there are bassist's in the world who are not known, that could wipe the floor with Flea.. Hes only famous because of RHCP...IMHO

Meshel Ndegeocello does this better...Way better

Not to say i dont like his playing..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='548469' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:36 PM']I really cant see this..there are bassist's in the world who are not known, that could wipe the floor with Flea.. Hes only famous because of RHCP...IMHO

Meshel Ndegeocello does this better...Way better

Not to say i dont like his playing..[/quote]

I think meshels awesome but i would rather have fleas bank balance.

[quote name='Faithless' post='546899' date='Jul 21 2009, 07:19 PM']Are you serious, mate?[/quote]

Yes. He is one of the worlds top bassists* like it or not, I don't believe he's the best, both technically and musically people do surpass him, but with seeing clips like that, I can see why others people do think he's truely great. To be clear I was commenting on the video rather than his career and output.

*Note, top bassist could consist of say him being in the top percentile of the world's population of bassists and out of 7 billion people who could possibly play........

Edited by Buzz