Why become a member? ×

Feeler - Tune Bass

noirpunk

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some insight into a bass I could potentially buy.
It's a Tune Bass Maniac. EMG pickups (a P style and a J style), Brass nut and looks like an Ebony fretboard. It's go a natural finish.
Has anyone had any experience with these and how much would a fair price be?

Yep I had one a few years back sounded fantastic, colour was purple with black hardware and looked great, very similar to a Bass Collection, neck was super skinny very fast and the preamp was good too. I sold mine for £240 thinking now that seemed too cheap for such a nice bass.

Edited by Smash

One of our members on here, [b][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=64"]Phaedrus[/url][/b], currently owns a Tune, and I think may have had a couple more in the past - might be worth dropping him a PM to see if he has anything to share?

Danny

I couldn't give you any idea on price, though I can tell you that they were god enough for Bass Collection to copy the design and sell it cheaper to huge success. And even the Bass Collections were mid range basses.

The Bass Maniacs were hugely influential and spawned the whole fashion for small bodied lightweight basses in the early nineties.

Edit: In a bizarre coincidence, I happened to have the first edition (Nov 94) of Bassist in front me after scanning in a review for someone the other day and I've just noticed it's also got a review of a Bass Maniac STB11-2. List price was £799.

Edited by Musky

Interesting thread about Tune over on [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503443"]talkbass[/url]. It seems they are still in production in Japan by the original and entirely separate company. The Korean company appears to have started in producing them in 1999 and hold the rights to the bass everywhere outside of Japan.

BigRedX - don't happen to know any history on this do you?

Edited by Musky

I've got a Korean SJX-4 up for grabs..do a search in the sales section and it should come up.They are lovely basses and getting really hard to come across.
I only found out about my one from some Korean website, can't get them new now so could potentially be a bargain...

My guess would be a later MIJ model. The current japanese Tune (Guitar Technology) company isn't really making Maniacs anymore though there's one in the "outlet" section of their website, 24 frets like yours. The Korean models (like sold by Bass Centre) are 25 fret models with a square fingerboard end.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
Have someone any kind of idea what modell my Tune is and when it is produced. See enclosed photos.
Best regards,
Tapsa
[attachment=30011:IMG_0112.jpg]
[attachment=30010:IMG_0111.jpg]
[attachment=30009:IMG_0110.jpg]

[quote name='noirpunk' post='545622' date='Jul 20 2009, 07:10 PM']Cheers for that :) Do you think it's Japanese or Korean?[/quote]

There's one on the Ishibashi used box just like that, well with a fancy facing. It's up at 50,000 (yen, I'm afraid :rolleyes:)

Item 326190201-14
[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/"]Ishibashi Used Box. [/url]

No model info but I can ask my friend there if you'd like me to.

Edited by OldGit

Early Jap made Tunes are great quality. (Newer ones not so bad either) Seem to remember the bassist in Aswad using one. They made a fabulous 6 string bass also. Heard one at a function one night many years ago. The guy was a good player admittedly but it was only through an old Trace 715 and sounded superb. Really high tech. I reckon you've had a serious result. Cheapest 4 I've seen has been about €600 here and about £450 in the UK.