Why become a member? ×

The Unbearable Lightness Of B-ing

Happy Jack

I've wondered for a while about the difference between the actual weight of a bass, and its perceived weight. The arrival of several 5-string basses over the past few months has caused me to think about this a lot recently.

Arithmetically, a 10lb bass weighs twice as much as a 5lb bass.
Logically, a 10lb bass should feel twice as heavy as a 5lb bass.
Practically, a 5lb bass feels like there's nothing there while a 10lb bass gives you back-ache.

Being of a spreadsheet persuasion, I tried messing about with a 'weighting' system to reflect my own experience, and came up with:

5 / 0.7 / 3.5
6 / 0.8 / 4.8
7 / 0.9 / 6.3
8 / 1.0 / 8.0
9 / 1.1 / 9.9
10 / 1.2 / 12.0
11 / 1.3 / 14.3

So a 5lb bass gets a weighting of 0.7 and feels like it weighs 3.5lbs, whereas an 11lb bass gets a weighting of 1.3 and feels like it weighs over 14lbs.

Useful, but not quite right. To me, an 11lb bass feels like it weighs twice as much as an 8lb bass (e.g. my Roscoe Beck V vs my Fender Jazz), while a 5lb bass (like my Hofner Violin) feels a lot less than even 3.5lbs.

So I tried assuming that my shoulders fail to recognise the first 5lbs of any bass and got:

5 / 5 / 0
6 / 5 / 1
7 / 5 / 2
8 / 5 / 3
9 / 5 / 4
10 / 5 / 5
11 / 5 / 6

Again useful, but not quite right. It has the Hofner as a feather-weight and the doubling in perceived weight from the 8lb bass to the 11lb bass. On the other hand, it's too straight-line and doesn't ramp up enough as the bass gets heavier.

So then I combined the two approaches, with one feeding into the other, finally reaching:

5 / 5 / 0 / 0.7 / 0.0
6 / 5 / 1 / 0.8 / 0.8
7 / 5 / 2 / 0.9 / 1.8
8 / 5 / 3 / 1.0 / 3.0
9 / 5 / 4 / 1.1 / 4.4
10 / 5 / 5 / 1.2 / 6.0
11 / 5 / 6 / 1.3 / 7.8

All purely empirical of course, all incredibly subjective, but the table above gives a reasonable summary of what my tired old shoulders actually feel when I strap on a bass. Don't think of the last column as being actual weights, in pounds or kilos, just as relative burdens.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='543200' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:55 PM']While you were working all that out I got an electric drill and a jig saw and substantially reduced the weight of several of my basses.[/quote]

Sliced off the neck? :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='543573' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:41 PM']I'd like to apologise to the OP for not taking him seriously enough.[/quote]

Dave, you have to be kidding me, right?

I loved your posts - no worries at all, mate.

Keep up the banter.

As to the numbers thing, I love 'em. It's what I do for a living. But I'm well aware that they're a turn-off for most people.

:)

[quote name='grumble' post='543605' date='Jul 17 2009, 09:17 PM']I have solved the weight problem with regards to bass playing and now never feel any aches or pains. I simply strap it to my manservant and tell him which notes to play, After a marathon 4 hour jam session I feel fresh as a daisy.[/quote]
I expect the old manservant gives you a bit of rubdown too if you do need freshening up. :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='543613' date='Jul 17 2009, 09:23 PM']I expect the old manservant gives you a bit of rubdown too if you do need freshening up. :)[/quote]

No, poor thing always seems to be on the verge of collapse nowadays. Maybe I should put him out pasture next year, they say 80 is a full working life.

Edited by grumble

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='543596' date='Jul 17 2009, 09:13 PM']Dave, you have to be kidding me, right?

I loved your posts - no worries at all, mate.

Keep up the banter.

As to the numbers thing, I love 'em. It's what I do for a living. But I'm well aware that they're a turn-off for most people.

:)[/quote]
Well, half kidding half not - just in case. :rolleyes:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='543200' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:55 PM']While you were working all that out I got an electric drill and a jig saw and substantially reduced the weight of several of my basses.[/quote]
:)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='543203' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:57 PM']I love this forum[/quote]

+1

[quote name='mrcrow' post='544804' date='Jul 19 2009, 05:41 PM']you havent factored in the weight of your shoulders in that
its quite relevant :)[/quote]

Please explain. Assuming that's a serious comment (I really can't tell), I don't follow.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='544971' date='Jul 19 2009, 10:23 PM']Please explain. Assuming that's a serious comment (I really can't tell), I don't follow.[/quote]

i thought this was a bit of a spoof thread but i can explain

your shoulders are part of the mechanism/structure and so have inherent weight
dynamic calculations should include this
when you play you move
all mass is subject to newtonian principles in motion so your shoulders/strap/hands/cable etc are all in a sense contributing elements in any calculation for live loading
the formulae are f=mv and P= mv^2/2g for momentum
centripetal force vectors not included

to round off i think a more comfortable strap can make a difference

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum[/url]

yours
:) :rolleyes:

guess i should lighten up a bit... :lol: :D ;)

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='mrcrow' post='545308' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:02 PM']your shoulders are part of the mechanism/structure and so have inherent weight
dynamic calculations should include this
when you play you move
all mass is subject to newtonian principles in motion so your shoulders/strap/hands/cable etc are all in a sense contributing elements in any calculation for live loading
the formulae are f=mv and P= mv^2/2g for momentum
centripetal force vectors not included[/quote]

Kinell, mate, I thought my numbers would be too heavy for most! :)

Spoof thread? Not really, though it neither surprised nor annoyed me than some thought it was.

I'm the sort of person who likes to measure/quantify an issue or problem and I have been genuinely struck by how much heavier an 11lb Roscoe Beck feels than a 9lb Shuker. Two pounds really isn't that much (bag of sugar, anyone?), so I was curious as to why it felt so different.

I take your point about the weight and momentum of the shoulders, but for these purposes I'll disregard it. This is the same as my assumption that my shoulders "don't notice" the first 5lbs of weight added.

The muscles and tendons already compensate for those values, and I suspect that this is why the perceived weight ramps up so quickly.