Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Unbearable Lightness Of B-ing

Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='545321' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:21 PM']Kinell, mate, I thought my numbers would be too heavy for most! :rolleyes:

Spoof thread? Not really, though it neither surprised nor annoyed me than some thought it was.

I'm the sort of person who likes to measure/quantify an issue or problem and I have been genuinely struck by how much heavier an 11lb Roscoe Beck feels than a 9lb Shuker. Two pounds really isn't that much (bag of sugar, anyone?), so I was curious as to why it felt so different.

I take your point about the weight and momentum of the shoulders, but for these purposes I'll disregard it. This is the same as my assumption that my shoulders "don't notice" the first 5lbs of weight added.

The muscles and tendons already compensate for those values, and I suspect that this is why the perceived weight ramps up so quickly.[/quote]

cool...you have it really taped up
sorry about the spoof thing...talk about a trainwreck...
seriously i do think there may be a point where the shoulders start to 'notice' weight and then feel the over burden signal to the brain
so your assessment is that 3.5lbs is really not noticeable and anything over that is more noticeable in ratio
so a 7 lb bass feels like 3.5 on the 'richtershoulder' scale
and an 11 lb bass feels like 7.5
good analagy you have put up and i go along with it
it all boils down to the threshold where weight begins to be obtrusive and could vary from person to person
like those guys who wear T shirts in the middle of winter and i am happed up with 5 layers
:)

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='mrcrow' post='545515' date='Jul 20 2009, 05:32 PM']like those guys who wear T shirts in the middle of winter and i am happed up with 5 layers
:)[/quote]
That'll be me :rolleyes:. I have been known to wear T-shirts on snowy days...

THREAD HIJACK!