Why become a member? ×

Gimme some Rebel Head Feedback

phsycoandy

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='542844' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:24 AM']I know 2x18 was an early adopter, he had one sitting smugly in his rack when I went to buy his LH500. Maybe PM him?[/quote]

Not very good --- My Rebelhead went back for repair 2 weeks ago, just died on me at home.

Still waiting for news of when it will be repaired/ replaced

Will.

Oh heck!

The idea of them seemed great. Strange cabs...but looked like they might be really good. A lot of manufacturers trying to take their slice of the lightweight market now. Personally, Markbass always seemed to be the leaders a few years back, so im sticking with them. :)

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='543594' date='Jul 17 2009, 10:10 PM']Supposedly not as 'flat' as the LMII/III.[/quote]

I've tried most of the cab combinations of the TC cabs at my local music store with the RH. To be completely honest, I've tried better heads. It's small, has presets and a tuner, yet it just doesn't sound [i]amazing[/i] or special. It's fine; that is all.

Bass Guitar Magazine gave it 5 stars across the board. It must be good. Janek raves about his. What he says is quite valid though - he can drop it in his gig bag and take it to gigs knowing that he his only variable in his rig is the cabs. We have all played through borrowed backline and know how annoying an unfamiliar amp can be...

Anyway, I've tried one out in anger and I wouldn't have one. Starting with heads, for me, they don't have the oomph that I am looking for and they certainly aren't that inspiring in the tone department. They aren't bad - they are perfectly usable and the punters will probably be none the wiser - but they don't have that sweetness that I am looking for... especially in the highs. They also seem a tad fragile to me. I don't know if that is actually the case - but perceptually wise, I feel that they are.

The cabs are cute. They look good and are portable... but I'm not sure if the dimensions are sound - by that I mean, I suspect the cabs are two small to enable those speakers to work as they should. In a band situation, that head with two 2x10 cabs... well, it kinda ran out of steam.

But that's just my experience of them. If you are looking for an OK portable amp, then yeah, it's cool - especially with the TC speakers... but I suspect you could get a hell load better for your money.

If I was going down the portable amp route, I would be looking at GenzBenz at MarkBass first... but even those don't do it for me.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if this amp has the 'ummpph' like the LM2/3 does in terms of volume?

Im not a fan of presets, and in built functions. It tends to raise the price when you already probably have a tuner and dont need the presets. My old Trace had a lot of controls, yet I barely used any. Probably why I chose Markbass over Genz.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='543949' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:17 PM']IMO programmable presets are a great idea, but only 3? If I only needed 3 I'd be able to remember the settings. Now if it had at least 40 we'd be talking![/quote]

To be fair your not gonna need more than that.... how many times do you change your settings during a gig...??

It's nice to say have a setting for Finger style, one for Slap.... and another to what you choose..

I really like mine.
Had it for 2 months or so now and seen maybe 15 gigs with no problems. I've been using it with a variety of Tecamp cabs.
Set flat it is different to the likes of Markbass and Genz, being quite polite sounding for want of a better word. But the eq is designed to be pushed (incl the tube sim) to get the tone your after. Being someone who dosn't like to fiddle with eq much this took me a few gigs to get used to.
Would never go back to a Genz after this due to what I found as a lack of low end oomph, but Markbass are still stiff competition IMO.
I did an open air gig last night, the TC through my Tech 4x10 (4ohm 1200w). There was a massive FOH PA but still a big stage with high volumn coming from all directions but the rig held its own with the TC having Power in reseve.
I do mostly function band work and it works fine for me in that environment.

[quote name='crez5150' post='543953' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:26 PM']To be fair your not gonna need more than that.... how many times do you change your settings during a gig...??

It's nice to say have a setting for Finger style, one for Slap.... and another to what you choose..[/quote]

When I was the bass player in SugarBox I had a different setting for every song.

With my current originals band I play both fretted and fretless. There's a setting for each, plus a extra one for the fretted when I play it with a pick. Since my back up basses aren't identical the my main ones there's a setting to for each to compensate for the difference in tone. At some point I'm likely to add 8-string (4 course) to the live sound. That again will require its own setting (or two) as will its spare.

In the covers band I've joined I use four different settings ranging from muddy and deep to zingy and bright depending on the song, for each of the two basses I'm currently using plus a set for the spare. The guitarists spend quite a bit of time matching their guitar sounds to those on the record and I so should I not only to be fairly authentic but also so that the bass still balances with the guitars when their sound changes.