Dream Bass collection (aethetic)

phil_the_bassist

Stingray 4h 3eq in sparkle white, bird eye maple neck
Pre eb fretless 'ray natural
Stirlin 4h birds eye maple neck
Bongo 4h Stelth black
Marcus Miller sig Fender
Finbars 6string Shuker
Geddy Lee (the black one not the new one)
that red fender Geddy Lee uses.
Black/black/maple Shuker
64 fender p maple neck with ashtrays (even tho I cant play them with them on)
Fender Jag
Fender Aerodyne with no pickguard (buying one very soon)
Ric 4001 (hate paying them but just for the looks)

Edit: no clue which bass, but any with fanned frets

Saying as I dont really like fenders ive got quite a few on there lol.

Edited by Jobiebass

Ah...
Musicman Stingray (Black Cherry Burst With Black Pickguard, Rosewood Fingerboard And Matching Headstock)
Modulus Flea Bass (Blue Flake, With Unmatching Headstock And Badass II Bridge)
Steve Harris Fender Precision Bass
Gibson Thunderbird
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender Jazz Sunburst (Have this already...)

Edited by Lylodile

[quote name='BigRedX' post='527529' date='Jun 29 2009, 11:00 AM']You be needing to have a good read of [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5525"]this thread[/url] then![/quote]

HEHEHE OMG, I am far too boring to like any of them. I think I have been well and truely sold the commecial product. If it does not look slightly like a Fender then I don't like it :)

Alembic series I, with a balance K omega body shape, with a 2 colour transparent burst finish, over quilted maple.

A bit like [url="http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_NN.html"]this [/url]one, but would rather matching wooden nobs, and black hardware. Can you tell i've thought about this before?

Edited by Zach

[quote name='Linus27' post='527611' date='Jun 29 2009, 12:10 PM']HEHEHE OMG, I am far too boring to like any of them. I think I have been well and truely sold the commecial product. If it does not look slightly like a Fender then I don't like it :)[/quote]

From experience I know that Fender-style bases simply don't suit me and place far too many restrictions on my playing style for me to ever consider having one. By the time I would have put right all the problems I see with a P- or J-style bass, it would have so little in common with the instrument it started out, that I might as well have something that's been design properly from the ground up to be different.

Also (not a criticism aimed at anyone - simply an observation) I find it fairly depressing that for many people claiming to produce original music their originality hasn't extended to their choice of instrument.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='527727' date='Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM']From experience I know that Fender-style bases simply don't suit me and place far too many restrictions on my playing style for me to ever consider having one. By the time I would have put right all the problems I see with a P- or J-style bass, it would have so little in common with the instrument it started out, that I might as well have something that's been design properly from the ground up to be different.

Also (not a criticism aimed at anyone - simply an observation) I find it fairly depressing that for many people claiming to produce original music their originality hasn't extended to their choice of instrument.[/quote]

One mans wine is another mans poison as they say. Would be interested in hearing what you would change or whats wrong with say a standard Fender Jazz bass. I am currently using a Lakland Darryl Jones which, along with my ESP 400 Series Jazz, are the best two basses I have ever played and I really can't fault them. Would be interesting to hear what you would change.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='527727' date='Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM']Also (not a criticism aimed at anyone - simply an observation) I find it fairly depressing that for many people claiming to produce original music their originality hasn't extended to their choice of instrument.[/quote]

I agree absolutely. I also wonder if [i]less[/i] original musicians might also benefit from using more original instruments (?)

I, like BRX am trying to gently ease my way away from the norm!
To the tune of;

Vigier Passion V
Status Streamline IV with custom switching
Yamaha Attitude BS sig 10th Anniversary

Plus a handful of more regular instruments

I'd definitely check out

A Born to Rock (Haven't you got one of these, BRX?)
A BassLab L-Bow (probably in Canary yellow with black hardware!)

And in terms of allegedly) dubious aesthetic merit, A Musicman Bongo HH, also in some violent colour, with Black hardware and series/parallel/single coil switching.

I think the reason that more diverse designs aren't more readliy adopted is their lack of availability. I, for one, won't buy what I haven't tried.
Equally, retail outlets won't take the risk on stocking (often expensive) "weird" instruments that they may not be able to sell. It's a bit of a vicious circle...

Right....

ACG Harlot (Surprise, surprise)
Rickenbacker 4001CS
A 'working' bass with a single Darkstar
Overwater Progress III Deluxe
Older Warwick Thumb NT
G&L L2000 USA
High end contemporary J (Sadowsky/Overwater/Celinder/Bacchus)
1960's pre CBS P in Sunburst
Alembic SC
Custom Fretless

Well, I've nearly got 6 out of 10 with the fretless being built.

I think that's worth a smiley :)

Edited by GreeneKing

Well I'm pretty happy with the three good basses I've got, but I've still never owned a jazz bass-style instrument. I would like any/all of the following to make up for it:

A nice playing 60s/70s Fender jazz bass, don't care about the colour so long as its not white, bright blue or mint green!

A Fender custom Jazz.

Another Fender Precision to balance things out

One of each of Sadowsky NYC,Nordy,Alleva Coppola or Mike Lull Jazz-style bass. One maple neck, one rosewood, a five string and four string fretless with ebony neck. Don't really care who makes what! Fender clones I know, but great basses (or at least they bloody well should be for the price!)

A Fodera Monarch bass and/or Emperor, can't be too greedy!

Vigier Arpege 4 string. I don't care about the new 'cheap' bolt on neck, they just look awesome and I betting they sound the same

Rickenbacker 4003. Black.

Until a couple of months ago I would have put a Wal four string at the top of my list, but recently had the chance to play and possibly buy one. The kind of chunky neck didn't take to me. Great sounding bass though.

I know there are other great bass companies like F Bass, Alembic, Spector, Pedulla, that I would consider also, but the list would become endless!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='527727' date='Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM']From experience I know that Fender-style bases simply don't suit me and place far too many restrictions on my playing style for me to ever consider having one. By the time I would have put right all the problems I see with a P- or J-style bass, it would have so little in common with the instrument it started out, that I might as well have something that's been design properly from the ground up to be different.

Also (not a criticism aimed at anyone - simply an observation) I find it fairly depressing that for many people claiming to produce original music their originality hasn't extended to their choice of instrument.[/quote]
Surely it doesnt matter what instrument a person chooses to play on..As long as the music is good...The instrument is just a tool....

What does having an 'Original' bass guitar' have to do with writing "original' music...I dont see any link in that at all....I dont mean this to sound like a criticism but there is such a thing as thinking about your instrument too much

Its a means to an end...Ok i have a few basses but there all to cover my needs as a bass player in different projects..some i play more than others..

The most original musicians could play Squire Jazz (great instrument) and be original...A non original musician could play a Carl Thompson and still be erm...non original..Its the way your mind thinks, not who makes your instrument...

Edited by bubinga5

I'm well on my way, but I do have some desires.

My dream collection would be somewhere close to this:

Läkland Darryl Jones
Läkland Joe Osborn 5 with B&B
Läkland Decade with two Darkstars instead of Chi-sonics
Rickenbacker 4003 (already in possession)
Fender B&B Jazz (already in possession, my MIJ '75 Jazz RI is a definite keeper!)
A nice '50s Precision
Fender Telecaster Bass II (with the wide-range humbucker in the neck position)
G&L L2500
Ibanez MC924 (already in possession)
Ibanez MC940 (working on that one)
Ibanez ATK300 (already in possession, twice)
A nice hollowbody (already in possession, my Italia Torino Bass)
Taylor AB-1 acoustic bass

Edited by LeftyJ

[quote name='bubinga5' post='528182' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:04 PM']Surely it doesnt matter what instrument a person chooses to play on..As long as the music is good...The instrument is just a tool....

What does having an 'Original' bass guitar' have to do with writing "original' music...I dont see any link in that at all....I dont mean this to sound like a criticism but there is such a thing as thinking about your instrument too much

Its a means to an end...Ok i have a few basses but there all to cover my needs as a bass player in different projects..some i play more than others..

The most original musicians could play Squire Jazz (great instrument) and be original...A non original musician could play a Carl Thompson and still be erm...non original..Its the way your mind thinks, not who makes your instrument...[/quote]

+1 on that. Having a great bass doen't make you a great bass player. I always think that the best bass for anybody is one that you can feel comfortable playing and seen to be playing. I would guess that the fascination of 'NYC Fender clones' would be the knowledge of having a well-made bass without the worry of making an artistic statement due to how your bass looks. Also, you wouldn't have to deal with constant 'what type of bass is that?' questions, as most will just think its a Fender anyway!

I'm strangely happy with the collection I've got at the moment - bit weird being Gas free!

But it would be nice to add a Ric and a 60s Precision. My big regret is missing out a few years back on a relatively cheap '64 Precision, with the neck date stamped "5 Nov 64" - which just happens to be my date of birth. I realise the 5 is the model number, not the date - but it would have been a rather nice talking point!