Why become a member? ×

Bass Day UK 2009 (Royal Northern College of Music - Nov 22)

Gary

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='662401' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:35 AM']Great day, got a bit of an hangover this morning, I was in the vicinity of MB1 for most of the day, we had a few beers!
We were in an area where stevie threw a set of strings, it hit MB1's pint and drowned me!

Got some GAS, which I will be moving on today, could go in one of two directions, still mulling it over

T[/quote]

I tried that Blue Jazz, very nice :) just sayin.

Phew don't know where to start.

I was there from 9.30am so anyone that saw near the end of the day I apologise, I was seriously %^&*ed.

Highlight for me was jammin with Yolanda, you know obviously.

I didn't watch any of the performers I wanted to see Nathan East but I was just so braindead by that time of the day, I didn't even attempt to watch.

Gearwise it just hit home I'd made the right choices, best basses I played all day other than mine were Overwater and the sooner I can shift my 400+ for a GT200 the better. I greatly enjoyed trying out the John East preamps but didn't really fall in love with the basses they we're in. At the moment seriously considering gutting my Overwaters for this new 2 concentric knob preamp John has made, I really liked the filter one but the new one has some great sounds very quickly and far less knobs.

Think I'll be taking a few of my basses to Ged Green for a setup and speaking to Stevie about having some lessons, lord knows he needs them (jking).

The barage of slap was insane and really got on my tits after 12 hours luckily I had Yolanda sat in the booth oposite me playing bass how it should be played, soulful and so in the pocket.

I think I walked past Ped for sure, don't know about any other Bass Chatters.

But was nice to see you all and I really wish I wasn't in work today

Edited by tayste_2000

[quote name='umcoo' post='662415' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:52 AM']PICS OF MATAMPZZZ NOW PLZ?!!?!?[/quote]

I didn't take any, but it was cool hearing Yolanda play through a GT200 and 2 8x10's, wasn't too bad when I played through it either.

Sure people will have loads, I think Andrew from matamp has video of the Jam.

Sounds like as much fun as last year's event was - sorry I couldn't make it - but then I did have prime seats for Marcus Miller at the barbican (alongside Mr Mike Brooks) and we both agreed it was the best Marcus gig we'd ever seen/heard - he was on amazing form and as the set was mainly stuff from the Mikes Davis 'Tutu' album the music was really engaging and less meandering - like his own shows can be - it was a total masterclass in massive funk grooves and monumental tone and phrasing - the young band were killing too.

I hope I can make the next Bass Bash or next year's Bass Day - just good to know it was well attended and people enjoyed themselves - excellent!

Mike

Some gorgeous basses on show - lovely amps too. RIM, Ged Green and ACG were the most attractive to my eyes and at decent prices too.

Good performance from Rolli; Poogie Bell was stunning - super-funk (finest performance of the day for me); Charles looked a bit intimidated; Clutterbuck did what he does (but did it well); and, East's sound was muddy from my seat (and frankly, the set was a bit boring).

Utter cacophony across the three floors for extended periods - it actually made me feel ill. A great deal of very ugly slapping.

Seeing friends was the highlight.

I've done two Bassdays now, I'm not sure I'd want to do another. The whole thing left me feeling pretty flat - I really don't think I'll want to play bass for a good few days. Weird.

Loz - just put on a tune that really inspires you (It's YYZ for me, but I understand that's fair personal!) and I'm sure you'll be back into playing in no time. The slap-fest really can take it out of you - which is one of the reasons I loved the ACG weekend - almost no slap at all.

[quote name='Toasted' post='662444' date='Nov 23 2009, 10:18 AM']Loz - just put on a tune that really inspires you (It's YYZ for me, but I understand that's fair personal!) and I'm sure you'll be back into playing in no time. The slap-fest really can take it out of you - which is one of the reasons I loved the ACG weekend - almost no slap at all.[/quote]

I'm in the process of hacking my thumb off, I've seen the damage that can be done and though not guilty yet, power corrupts.

Thanks to everyone who came again!

It was great day and good to see so many new faces, public and traders.
Getting ready now and off to Band on The Wall soon and catch Poogie in full funk swing and Adam.
Spent most of my time on the door yesterday so missed everyone.

Spent years trying to see Adam.
Got him booked for 2006 Bassday but missed it because I went to Africa. and of course missed him yesterday., Will not be missing it tonight though.

[quote name='Toasted' post='662444' date='Nov 23 2009, 10:18 AM']Loz - just put on a tune that really inspires you (It's YYZ for me, but I understand that's fair personal!) and I'm sure you'll be back into playing in no time. The slap-fest really can take it out of you - which is one of the reasons I loved the ACG weekend - almost no slap at all.[/quote]
Tayste_2000 "I'm in the process of hacking my thumb off, I've seen the damage that can be done and though not guilty yet, power corrupts."

Thanks guys - strangely enough and without reading your posts, I put on few tracks this morning (Bobby Womack, Mott the Hoople, Donny Hathaway - eclectic taste!) and I feel so much better now! I will play later. Normal service resumed.

I was there, good to see a few of you bcers, MB1 and sshore you are animals!
Randy Hope Taylor was gonna be my reason for going, but he let me down, was very unprepared, but you cant win em all. Poogie was great, as East was, not too hot on Nitti thou, stayed 5 mins and left.

TOO MUCH SLAP! Nuff said!

To be fair thinking about this show I remember the last one i went to before this the 2nd one Janek played at I think 2007? maybe 2006?

All I thought then was to much of that 4 finger turbo playing, so maybe each year another nasty trend bucks it's head up. I hope I go to the one where people get sick to death of Motown and P funk riffs :)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='662421' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:55 AM'], but it was cool hearing Yolanda play through a GT200 and 2 8x10's,[/quote]

It wasn't cool hearing Yolanda playng while the acts were on in the main auditorium. There were several instances when her bass was coming through louder than the layers on the stage. Perhas in future, the sales people will have the manners to give it a rest while the performers are doing their thng. (or is that just wishful thinking?)

Bassday just wouldn't work if the only time you could try equipment is when no act is on.

You'd have how ever many hundred people trying to play whatever they could in half hour blocks.

They had this problem in the first couple of bass days at life cafe when it's all essentially in the same room, this one had far better isolation. towards the end of the day when no one was playing and an act was on you couldn't hear anything outside of the auditorium, but as soon as someone came out and the doors opened, could hear everything really well and really loud, seems to me it was very well soundproofed but I could be wrong.

Would anyone mind filling me on what Nathan East discussed like I said i wanted to see it but it was so nice and quiet when he was on outside I just couldn't bring myself to go inside.

They need to do something about the noise as even though they have double doors, the racket from outsid ethe auditorium was very noticeable up until the vendors started to dismantle their stands. It didn't help to have Yolanda right next to the theatre door with Matamp and yamaha right next to her.There were several stands on the lower floor not making any noise that could have been swapped with the amplified vendors. Just turning the bloody things down would have helped.

[quote name='Sean' post='662358' date='Nov 23 2009, 07:15 AM']The East P Bass preamp is definitely one to check out and must be one of the most innovative products I've seen in ages. It was a shame it was just too loud and my ear/brain noise fatigue too high to appreciate it fully.[/quote]

Some details of P-Retro, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=13343&view=findpost&p=662708"]here[/url], Sean.

[quote name='lee650' post='662154' date='Nov 22 2009, 09:43 PM']I was there,
Had an amazing time, and spent most of it on the GB stall being extremely blown away, bernie and the lads were really friendly and are HUGELY passionate about their basses quite right too, im in love with the rumour 5 and am saving my pennies from now i will have one, also had a lovely chat with our very own funkydario, on the Bacchus stand, lovley guy, we had a laugh when a young lady asked my mate to turn down and he was the quietest player in the room by far :) im also very enamoured by Yolanda charles who is an incredible groovemeister and a bit gorgeous too :lol: , ive probably walked past a dozen basschatters, we should have worn T shirts!!! was keeping an eye out for Ped but didnt see him, had a good chat with Pete (thunderthumbs) though.
All in all a hugely enjoyable day, i had to leave early though so missed Nathan east, but i,ll bet he was amazing, hope you all had good one and im currently trying to raise funds to have a 5 string rumour made- cheers everyone - lee[/quote]
Go on lad......you know you want one :lol:

I was just happy to be able to stand in front of Bernie's basses and not drool through not having one :rolleyes: (Cheers psychoandy, I'm still like a kid on Xmas Day)

I don't know how anyone had the balls to tell your mate to turn down......he's a bloody big fella!!

Saw Ped walk past late on as I was stood with mistahbenn.

Also met up with the usual couple.....Stuart (bassbunny) & Keith( yorks5stringer). Keith left me his wristband in case he won anything in the raffle. He missed out on the bass they were giving away by just 3 numbers!!

I also met some old mates I've not seen for a couple of years and spent the remainder of the time after Nathan East propping up the bar with them. I was stood there as the flying strings knocked MB1's pint all over sshorepunk.

Had a good chat with Poogie & his bass player, Brian, before they left. On my way out in an hour to go see them again at the Band On The Wall.

Woohoo!!

[quote name='jacko' post='662893' date='Nov 23 2009, 04:59 PM']They need to do something about the noise as even though they have double doors, the racket from outsid ethe auditorium was very noticeable up until the vendors started to dismantle their stands. It didn't help to have Yolanda right next to the theatre door with Matamp and yamaha right next to her.There were several stands on the lower floor not making any noise that could have been swapped with the amplified vendors. Just turning the bloody things down would have helped.[/quote]

I'm up for anything that involves me not having to carry all my gear upstairs. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='663066' date='Nov 23 2009, 08:30 PM']What was the problem with Randy Hope-Taylor?[/quote]

Basically he just didn't have anything prepared and ended up playing 3 tracks with the drums without any top line (vocal or tune) or harmony...

His bass sound wasn't great either (very loud and very muddy). He looked mightily relieved once his half hour was up.

I think he just didn't know what was expected of him - he did say he hadn't done anything like this before...