Why become a member? ×

Level 42 Songs

JBassist

[quote name='steve-soar' post='522826' date='Jun 24 2009, 06:54 PM']True believers and Seven Days, in fact, I love Level 42.
I'm a huge Mark King fan, I've met him, I have 2 children to him and he hasn't paid me a penny since 1995, the bastard.[/quote]

I cant believe he got you as well,running in the family indeed.

• 2 months later...

My favorite Level 42 songs that I know on bass:

Can't Walk You Home
Sunbed Song
True Believers
Are you Hearing
Running In The Family
Something About You
Living it up (The Sun Goes Down)
Leaving Me Now
Two Solitudes
Children Say
Love Meeting Love
Lessons In Love
Kansas City Milkman
Forever Now
Weave Your Spell
Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
Love Games
Hot Water(90% of it)

Favorites I want to learn to play:

Last Chance
The Chinese Way
Man(currently working on)
Almost There
I Want Eyes
The Sun Goes Down
The Machine Stops
The Pursuit Of Accidents
Turn It On
The Chant
Micro Kid
Coup d'etat

Mark King is the ONLY reason I got into playing bass. :lol: Why? Because his style of playing and the many different basslines he used was a welcoming challenge unlike the boring rock basslines that have been shoved down our throats since conception. When I played guitar, It was Alex Lifeson of Rush. However, after 20 years of playing guitar, I had lost interest because I felt I was a good as I'll ever get. I took up the bass because for every 15 guitar players out there, there is one bass player. Most of the idiots in the U.S. don't have a clue who Mark King is. :lol: That's why I got my first Jaydee. If I want to at least sound like the man (let alone play like him) you need the correct tools of the trade. Mark himself said to get as good a bass as you can. Whenever somebody sees one of my Jaydees for the first time, they don't know how to act or what to think of it. If you even mention Level 42's name in the U.S., the person your talking to is going,"Who are they?" :) I wished I lived over in the U.K. sometimes simply because the fans are so loyal to their bands. The best music I've ever heard has always came from the U.K. :rolleyes: (With the exception of '50's, 60's, and 70's country music......Sorry mates.....I have to stick with my homeland on that one :lol: )

Edited by Mowac

[quote name='lee650' post='522216' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:59 PM']his fingerstyle and chordal playing is exceptional and he,s not known for it[/quote]
+1 Always prefered his fingerstyle stuff to the machine-gun slap. Learned a lot about feel and timing from playing along to stuff like Good Man In A Storm and It's Over.

He needs to sort out that thin 80s tone though, it's terrible!

[quote name='YouMa' post='523181' date='Jun 24 2009, 11:03 PM']I cant believe he got you as well,running in the family indeed.[/quote]

Mark King is great. In fact, I have changed my name to Mark, and my wife's, and our son and daughter's names and I have even bought a dog with a hair lip.

Marky mark is a nice bloke but he got the hump with me some years ago!!

Rob Green called me to see if I could go down to London to demonstrate a couple of Status basses on an Australian TV show. I hoofed down to the factory in Colchester and Rob gave me Mark King's brand new unplayed Kingbass - this one below and one of his P retro basses. I was slightly nervy about taking the Kingbass as MK was taking delivery of it about a week after but Rob was cool and said don't worry as it will look great on the telly with the LEDs etc! I was then whisked down to the studio in a super duper taxi and after three minutes in make up, I was interviewed by Mark Eddo who now works for the BBC

Did the show, all was well with the world and then, later that year, my partner and I saw MK at Cambridge. We met him after the show and my mrs said `oh, that new bass sounded great, Nick loves the way it plays too..'. Doh! Mark was like, `you what?'. I then explained the demo and he was not best pleased!

Heheh!

Nick

[quote name='RhysP' post='522370' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:01 AM']Some of the very worst songs & lyrics I've ever heard are on the Stanley Clarke albums. He's a great player but most of his songs are bloody awful - I can't listen to them anymore because they just make me cringe.[/quote]
[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='522572' date='Jun 24 2009, 01:33 PM']It's the same with Victor Wooten - with each album he seems to sing more and more and he really shouldn't.[/quote]

To paraphrase FranK Zappa "Shut up and play your bass guitar". The need to sing seems to afflict many musicians that previously just played instrumentals, George Benson springs to mind.

I'm always amazed that Mark King manages to play the way he does and sing at the same time. :) I'm now minded to get the first 2 albums as I only have them on vinyl. Dune Tune has always been a favourite noodle.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='522113' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:13 PM']Overall I was a massive fan, still like to get me Alembic out and have a play along now and again![/quote]

Yeah as long as you can find it among those 4 million other basses :)

I think Leaving Me Now is one of my favourite songs of all time. For bass riffs, Children Say especially on the Live At Wembley dvd is still fresh sounding and there's still not a lot out there that tops the Love Games riff. Sort of the bass players equivalent of Stairway to Heaven. lol

About a month ago someone told me that Level 42 was playing at the Belgian coast that evening and asked if I was planning to go...I have already seen them live about 20 times so I said I wanted to stay home with a nice whisky..
My friend was very convincing and although it was raining heavily we drove to the open-air concert next to the beach.
I'm not surprised anymore about what I see and hear (first time I saw them I had never heard anything like that) but although I was soaking wet, the show was great and I was glad I had made the trip. Good soundmix with plenty of bass (not thàt obvious, I've seen some terrible shows soundwise) and the more it rained the more the audience was determined to stay and enjoy the music.. Good songs, great musicianship and lovely bassplaying (that bass-line of Love Games still sounds as fresh as it did in the eighties). I'll always be a Level 42 fan and they still mean a lot to me in my musical directions.

Love that b-side : The return of the handsome rugged man.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='522140' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:33 PM'].....ember skies, seems so long ago... :)

Next line anyone??

My fave MK fingerstyle lines: True Believers and My Hero (off True Colours) and Romance (off Forever Now).

What with all that slapping malarkey, people seem to overlook MK's awesome finger-style grooving. Sweet!!! :rolleyes:[/quote]
......."You were standing on the quay
and you blew a kiss to me
I was sad to go
the ship began to pull away
then I heard a stranger say
it's sad to see true lovers part
'cause sometimes lovers feel a change of heart
out of sight and out of mind

well the stranger's words came true
and the prophecy went through
I knew it would change my world
'cause when I called your home
a whispered conversation
I overheard
I asked you what was going on
you said that I'd been gone too long
and the rain that fell in West Berlin
was nothing like the rain that fell within
out of sight and out of mind

oh, Regine
here am I
so far away
out of sight, out of mind
love has gone
but I will shine
day after day
I will take what love I find

so I made some other plans
took my life in these two hands
and I know I won't turn around
though I often see your face
when I'm in a crowded place
it doesn't get me down
I met a girl with smiling eyes
full of love and worldly wise
she told me she knows what to do
to help me put the memories of you
out of sight and out of mind......."

Edited by Mowac

• 1 year later...

this might an old thread but what the hell!

Level 42 bass lines/songs to keep you on your toes (not always for speed)

Why Are You Leaving
Dune Tune
Love Games
Almost There
Sandstorm
Theme To Margaret
Love Meeting Love
Woman
Foundation & Empire
Return Of The Handsome Rugged Man
Pursuit Of Accidents
Last Chance
The Chinese Way
Are You Hearing (What I Hear)
People
Out Of Sight Out Of Mind
The Machine Stops
Hot Water
Can't Walk You Home
Standing In The Light
True Believers
Hours By The Window
The Chant Has Begun
World Machine
Coup D'Etat
Physical Presence
I Sleep On My Heart
Follow Me
Fashion Fever
To Be With You Again
Children Say
Heaven In My Hands
Man
If You Were Mine
Set Me Up (live version)
Forever Now
All Over You
The Sunbed Song
The Bends (hypnotic)
SleepTalking
Dive Into The Sun

MK solo and appearing...

Influences (MK solo album, all of it)
Just Like That (from Trash)
Throwing Sevens (from Trash)
Easy - from Nik Kershaws 'The Riddle Album'
Dance Like Fred Astaire - Delegation, from the 'Dueces High' album
The Cheiftans - Midge Ure, from the 'The Gift' album
A Way You'll Never Be - Leisure Process (feat MK and Phil Gould)

There are many more, but that a good start :))