Why become a member? ×

Getting better

skillbass

ok gys thanks. Sorry im not the best tiper but ill try to spell better... (My dad always said he would prefer me to be a better musician than academick!)

Anyway I am trying to learn this song my dad always plays.. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IKkMi_Yds&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IKkMi_Yds...feature=related[/url] never heard of the player(dont really like it!..) but he says it would be good to lern. I find it v hard t be honest! any tips?

[quote name='skillbass' post='521483' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:15 AM']ok gys thanks. Sorry im not the best tiper but ill try to spell better... (My dad always said he would prefer me to be a better musician than academick!)[/quote]

I'm not sure if this is a wind up or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'll also apologise up front for being so serious.

I reckon your dad should be hoping you are good at both disciplines. There are over 6,000 members on basschat, probably fewer than 1% are full time professional musicians who make enough money to live in a house, have children and afford decent food and booze. So take your general education [u]very [/u]seriously if you want to get on in the real world and have a life. You don't want to be a burden on the tax payer when you're 37 and a 1/2. Just because you are a bass ace at 15 does not mean you don't have to communicate with people all the time. If you are a full time pro muso, you will be writing a lot, and filling in tax returns is going to be even more miserable if you can't read or write properly. There is little worse than sharing a tour bus with someone who doesn't have much to talk about or have a view on lots of things.

If like many of us, you have a day job and a semi pro music career, you'll be doing even [u]more [/u]writing. Unless you like working the bins or whatever.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='521486' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:17 AM']Why aren't you in school?

BB[/quote]

Im "ill" today so just playing my bass and going thru my dads music. btw, I do take school seriously and normally go in and understand I do need to read an write...

[quote name='skillbass' post='521483' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:15 AM']ok gys thanks. Sorry im not the best tiper but ill try to spell better... (My dad always said he would prefer me to be a better musician than academick!)[/quote]

Whats your big brother had to say about this then ! :)

[quote name='skillbass' post='521483' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:15 AM']ok gys thanks. Sorry im not the best tiper but ill try to spell better... (My dad always said he would prefer me to be a better musician than academick!)

Anyway I am trying to learn this song my dad always plays.. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IKkMi_Yds&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IKkMi_Yds...feature=related[/url] never heard of the player(dont really like it!..) but he says it would be good to lern. I find it v hard t be honest! any tips?[/quote]

Listen to what you like, not what your dad likes :)

I have been (trying!) to learn too many complicated songs recently, like above but is pretty hard to play all the time. Has anyone any suggestions of good songs to learn that ar not too easy and not too hard?(for say a 'intermediate' player wanting to get better-like me)

ps, if you think im joking 'horribleman' why would I be bothering to ask for advice?

cheers
Z

[quote name='skillbass' post='522119' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:17 PM']I have been (trying!) to learn too many complicated songs recently, like above but is pretty hard to play all the time. Has anyone any suggestions of good songs to learn that ar not too easy and not too hard?(for say a 'intermediate' player wanting to get better-like me)

ps, if you think im joking 'horribleman' why would I be bothering to ask for advice?

cheers
Z[/quote]

What genres of music do you like?
When we might be able to give you a few ideas of some songs to learn.

Z
x

[quote name='skillbass' post='522177' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:01 PM']yeah, I realised my mistake after i rote that :rolleyes: ..obviously he meant music reading...[/quote]

d00d, you [i]are [/i]coming across as a wise ass, you must admit. I really [i]am [/i]thinking you are BassFerret's inner child :lol: :)

[quote name='silddx' post='522218' date='Jun 24 2009, 12:01 AM']d00d, you [i]are [/i]coming across as a wise ass, you must admit. I really [i]am [/i]thinking you are BassFerret's inner child :rolleyes: :)[/quote]

I'm really starting to think he needs a stern hand across the back of his head.

[quote name='Josh' post='522229' date='Jun 24 2009, 12:22 AM']I'm really starting to think he needs a stern hand across the back of his head.[/quote]

It's nice to know that more experienced and older players like yourself would disparage such a younger player in such a fashion... you should probably think a bit more before posting comments as above. Whatever you do, don't ever become a bass teacher, it would be a terrible vocation for someone with the degree of patience you've just displayed.

[quote]I have been (trying!) to learn too many complicated songs recently, like above but is pretty hard to play all the time. Has anyone any suggestions of good songs to learn that ar not too easy and not too hard?(for say a 'intermediate' player wanting to get better-like me)

cheers
Z[/quote]

Look mate, ignore the guys making daft comments. You've joined a board where the kind of posts you've made are likely to cause a bit of trouble, so be a bit weary of that. I have no idea of what kind of skill you're at currently, but the stuff you've said so far suggests to me that you're still a bit younger and still learning. All things take time, and becoming a good bass player is no exception. You should challenge yourself, but don't punch above your weight (that is to say don't try tunes too hard for you!). Amongst some of the stupider posts in this thread is some really good advice, it's a shame the mods can't delete the stuff that isn't useful... but here's some stuff I'd advise looking at.

1. Scales, major, minor, modal, arpeggios, broken chords, everything. They don't have to be boring either, sit in front of the tv and practice practice practice. Get yourself a good theory book, and get practicing! They will get your ear together massively, that is to say you'll pick things up by ear a lot quicker.

2. iPod on >> shuffle >> play along. Everyone has random and embarrassing music they don't want other people to hear on their MP3 player, but if you can play what you can hear then you will be popular amongst jam bands and alike, and this is a good way of making a cheap penny when you get a bit older!

3. Get hold of cello, double bass and even tuba books and get reading! Anything with a bass clef that you can read will get you work. This shouldn't just apply to bass clef either, treble, alto, tenor, EVERYTHING, just be a monster and turn up to reading gigs completely prepared for every eventuality.

4. Just play for fun... something I'm sure you'll do already but do it all the time. Got spare time to be playing you're PS3? You could be just as easily playng your bass as well. Make sure it's all in good balance!

Take care, Liam

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='522260' date='Jun 24 2009, 02:45 AM']It's nice to know that more experienced and older players like yourself would disparage such a younger player in such a fashion... you should probably think a bit more before posting comments as above. Whatever you do, don't ever become a bass teacher, it would be a terrible vocation for someone with the degree of patience you've just displayed.[/quote]

I do teach quite a few young guys and few experieced guys as well and have been confronted with quite an array of attitudes towards learning and towards what they know, a few displayed similar traits to skillbass, but beyond talking about his ability he has displayed a bad attitude in general.

I do apologise for saying it, but having confronted similar players to skillbass, the attitude does tend to grate my paitence, eventually it passes and we move on and then thats when things start getting fun.

If skillbass is willing to take the advice already given without the wiseguy attitude then I'm more than willing to contribute to his growth as a musician.

Again Ill apologise for the statement, but skillbass, please try to approach the advice with a more receptive and respectful attitude, even if your ability isn't the best, having respect for the advice your given will always make you someone other musicians will want to work with because they know your ready to take what they say on board.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='522274' date='Jun 24 2009, 03:36 AM']I do teach quite a few young guys and few experieced guys as well and have been confronted with quite an array of attitudes towards learning and towards what they know, a few displayed similar traits to skillbass, but beyond talking about his ability he has displayed a bad attitude in general.

I do apologise for saying it, but having confronted similar players to skillbass, the attitude does tend to grate my paitence, eventually it passes and we move on and then when things start getting fun.

If skillbass is willing to take the advice already without the wiseguy attitude then Im more than willing to contribute to his growth as a musician.

Again Ill apologise for the statement, but skillbass, please try approach the advice with a more receptive and respectful attitude, even if your ability isn't the best, having respect for the advice your given will always make you someone other musicians will want to work with because they know your ready to take what they say on board.[/quote]

I was of a similar attitude to this guy when I was his age so I know how he feels I suppose. I would agree he has to approach advice without being flippant about it, but it must be hard having to trawl through all the berating he's got so far. Anyhow I'm sure he'll be a bit more careful about what he posts now.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='522435' date='Jun 24 2009, 11:12 AM']I was of a similar attitude to this guy when I was his age so I know how he feels I suppose.[/quote]

Yep, I remember when I had been playing for a few months, I thought that I was as good as the pros. It's said that the more you learn, the less you know.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='522436' date='Jun 24 2009, 11:15 AM']Yep, I remember when I had been playing for a few months, I thought that I was as good as the pros. It's said that the more you learn, the less you know.[/quote]

Yep, I was the best bass player in the world after a year. Downhill ever after...

I think it's the more you learn, the more you've yet to learn! I know more but I also know how much there is I don't know.

Alex

[quote name='silddx' post='521536' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:02 AM']There are over 6,000 members on basschat, probably fewer than 1% are full time professional musicians who make enough money to live in a house, have children and afford decent food and booze.[/quote]

Pro... check
House... check
children... check
food..... check
booze...... bugger

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='522476' date='Jun 24 2009, 11:57 AM']I've been playing for 5 years and I still think I'm sh*t.

Self-esteem issues? :)[/quote]

I've always had delusions of grandeur which my wife now keeps in check...

Alex

P.S. Though she does admit I'm a badass bass mofo! :rolleyes: I've yet to convince her on the singing and songwriting front...

[quote name='alexharvay' post='522478' date='Jun 24 2009, 11:59 AM']Here's my advice:
Realise that you have a better chance of winning the lottery then 'making it' as a pro musician.[/quote]

I am not sure about that one.
Lottery is luck, big time. I dont know any lotto winners, but i know plenty of full time muso's
Full time Muso is down to hard work.
Also what a person defines as pro Muso....
driving up and down the country in the back of a Van hoping to get some kind of deal with original tunes.
Or, the more realistic approach [ or not, that depends on the hard work ]
Shows,Cruises,Functions,sessions,etc, maybe combined with Teaching and composing for media etc, and this
approach is much more common these days, than just an out and out gigging bassist.

Garry

Edited by lowdown