Why become a member? ×

1964 64 Fender Jazz Bass Large Sparkle Gold RARE????

I dont know fenders that well, but they did that paint in 64?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1964-64-Fender-Jazz-Bass-Large-Sparkle-Gold-RARE_W0QQitemZ270410753652QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ef5bca674&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50"]Fender[/url]

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='520143' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:33 PM']Yep, Gold Metallic was available then at 25% extra. Even if this was genuine £40K is a bit mental.

BB[/quote]

There's absolutely no doubt that Fender offered gold as a Custom Colour finish - and offered more than one variety of gold finish as a custom option over the years, including a metallic gold. But did the sparkle/sparckle and metal flake treatments appear as early as '64? I was always under the impression that single and burst finishes were the only options at that time, and that the sparkle/sparckle and metal flake variations appeared much later. I was also under the impression that the gold metallic custom option had a matt/burnished appearance.

[quote name='bythesea' post='520146' date='Jun 21 2009, 06:35 PM']Been on here three times already and I doubt this will be the last. Did go up to 70k once though...[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43945"]Here[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25505"]here[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=48926"]here[/url].

S.P.

[quote name='King Tut' post='520984' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:32 PM']My 64 reish (like Guy Pratts) original is Burgundy Mist which has a sparkle in it - although not as sparkly as that one - what a beaut. Think I'll sell my children![/quote]

Thats a dreadful thing to say!!!!........like Guy Pratts! Shame on you!

How much a pound for the kids?

BB

[quote name='King Tut' post='520984' date='Jun 22 2009, 05:32 PM']My 64 reish (like Guy Pratts) original is Burgundy Mist which has a sparkle in it - although not as sparkly as that one ...[/quote]

I'm always somewhat confused when it comes to Pratt's Jazz basses. I've never been sure as to whether the Sunburst example is the '64, or the Burgundy Mist. Given that I've seen the Burgundy Mist example being credited as a '63, '64 and '68. It is a Custom Colour example, as it has a colour-coordinated headstock (which, technically, makes the colour Purple Mist - as that was the name Fender used for that Custom Colour option - although Burgundy Mist and Purple Mist are one in the same colour).

Pratt issues aside, the Burgundy (nee Purple) Mists and Emerald Mist colour options are a "single" colour, although with a nacreous pigmentation (pearlescent appearance), and are often fully credited by Fender as being Burgundy Mist Metallic and Emerald Mist Metallic. This, to my mind, taking into consideration other "metallic" colour options, seems quite a different prospect to the Sparkle/Sparckle and Metal Flake colour options.

As for Sparkle/Sparckle and Metal Flake, I'd always been under the impression that these were introduced around '67, a year or so before the Paisley and Flower designs, and like those latter options, were a reflection of the changes occurring in popular music in the '60s, and its assimilation of the '50s Pop Art movement - the influence of which is credited as being behind the stripes and embellishments featured on the likes of Mustang and MusicMaster instruments.

But I'm no Fender expert ...

Edited by noelk27

• 4 weeks later...

I miss my 60 rosewood neck P.

Sold it to finance a guitar in 63.

for £60.

Was a sunburst but refinished ( in 62 )white to match the guitarists strat and tele....

*sigh*

Sold it to a doctor called Sim Jones in Cambridge.

I miss that bass.....