Why become a member? ×

tools v hands

Bay Splayer

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='517470' date='Jun 18 2009, 03:37 PM']i have had many accidents/injuries during my time, many cuts needing stitches and broken bones needing mending[/quote]

Thats Upton Park for yer...
We dont get that problem over at the New Den... :)
We dont get much Football, i might add.

Garry

My left hand was injured in a shot gun accident.

Which sound a lot more dramatic than it was. I was hit by some stray pellets, which grazed a knuckle, removing a very small chunk of flesh. There is a scar... but it's only about 2 mm long!

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='517444' date='Jun 18 2009, 03:10 PM']before my present job i was a post man and [color="#FF0000"]nearly lost the tip of my right hand middle finger [/color]in a letter-box related incident :lol:[/quote]

And I can assure you, my friend and 2nd guitarist did just that and it cut his little finger quite bad.
The stiffness afterwards rendered it not only painful but unusable and thus, chords almost a no-no. :rolleyes:

[quote name='RayFW' post='518508' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:00 PM']I have massive respect for this chap:

He lost several left hand fingers in an accident so taught himself to play lefty with a pick. You've got to admire his dedication.[/quote]

Yep cool...But not as much as Bill Clements.
This guy is one of my inspirations and he plays...with ONE HAND!
He lost his other in a car accident and it only took him 6 months to get back to playing again. :)
And he's BLOODY FAST!!!

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='517444' date='Jun 18 2009, 03:10 PM']i have been in the same trade (window fitter) for the past 12 years so work with power tools every day

returned to bass playing about 2 or 3 years ago after a break of many years, but only playing at home

joined a band about a month ago and since then, whilst at work, i keep finding myself thinking

[color="#000000"]"[b]if this drill/driver/chisel/saw..etc,etc....slips, then thats me buggered for rehearsals, gigs[/b][/color]," etc :rolleyes:

dont know why, as i have never (touches wood) had a bad work related injury whilst in this job :)

anyone else have similar thoughts or am i just a bloody weirdo :D

before my present job i was a post man and [color="#FF0000"]nearly lost the tip of my right hand middle finger [/color]in a letter-box related incident ;)[/quote]

I also did window fitting for about 24 years in that time saw some quite horrific accidents (A doctor once told me without a doubt Glass is the most dangerous of all cut related materials- It will cut you every time ) I was quite lucky and never got hurt but I always wore gloves ect . I still shudder thinking about talking 6mm DG plate in a wood window out. :lol:

this thread has got me all jittery and in a cold sweat.

I get very nervous around stanley knives since an incident a few years back, when I managed to open up my wrist with one of those carpet cutting blades. The result was a large gash with veins, arteries etc. all on show. Injections into the wound, lots of stitches and a plaster cast to straighten my hand/wrist, which had gone all claw like from tendon damage.

Stupid thing is I was just too lazy to get the correct tool for the job. A wire cutter was needed to snip through some cable tidies, but I chose the stanley option to save me going back to my tool box. Lesson learnt the hard way.

Can't stand the sight of blood any more, Casualty and Holby City are a def no no these days.

I lopped the end off a finger on my fretting hand with a surgical scalpel a few years ago. The blood squirted out like on a cartoon! I rang the grumpy occ health nurse at work and she just said "I'm leaving, bleep a first aider" and put the phone down. Thanks!

The first aider was a good bloke though, he found the bit I lopped off and whipped me down to hospital in his car. They decided not to sew it on as it was too small, and it took me about 6 weeks to get useable again.

2 scalpel accidents in about 30 years isn't too bad!

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='517444' date='Jun 18 2009, 03:10 PM']i have been in the same trade (window fitter) for the past 12 years so work with power tools every day

returned to bass playing about 2 or 3 years ago after a break of many years, but only playing at home

joined a band about a month ago and since then, whilst at work, i keep finding myself thinking

[color="#000000"]"[b]if this drill/driver/chisel/saw..etc,etc....slips, then thats me buggered for rehearsals, gigs[/b][/color]," etc :rolleyes:

dont know why, as i have never (touches wood) had a bad work related injury whilst in this job :)

anyone else have similar thoughts or am i just a bloody weirdo :lol:

before my present job i was a post man and [color="#FF0000"]nearly lost the tip of my right hand middle finger [/color]in a letter-box related incident :D[/quote]

i suppose its too pansy to wear gloves

i wear latex ones for all jobs round the house so i dont get paint etc on my lilywhites

when i worked in the shipyards as a fitter though it was thought soft to wear gloves even in -10* temperatures doing work on deck
i have had a bad cut in my plucking finger and put elastoplast on...it gave better attack!!

I use hydraulic pipe bending machines - clamps close in about 0.5 sec with 30 tons pressure followed by bending torque of upto 30000 flbs.

I've been at it for 25 years and not seriously hurt myself. Touch wood......

Seen a few nasties tho' :)

[quote name='Kongo' post='518671' date='Jun 19 2009, 05:35 PM']And I can assure you, my friend and 2nd guitarist did just that and it cut his little finger quite bad.
The stiffness afterwards rendered it not only painful but unusable and thus, chords almost a no-no. :rolleyes:

Yep cool...But not as much as Bill Clements.
This guy is one of my inspirations and he plays...with ONE HAND!
He lost his other in a car accident and it only took him 6 months to get back to playing again. :)
And he's BLOODY FAST!!!

[/quote]

....And let's have a big hand for.........oh crap!

I am really.really sorry but I had to say it.

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob

[quote name='mrcrow' post='519312' date='Jun 20 2009, 02:27 PM']i suppose its too pansy to wear gloves[/quote]
I'll use work gloves even just (just?) unloading the van if I'm working a festival stand with the shop.
If anyone else wants not to, the choice is theirs, but we're nearly all gigging musicians and as we all know it's amazing how small an injury can put you out of action.

I was removing a broken toilet whilst renovating the Bathroom, so ever mindful, I wore the biggest, thickest safety gloves I could find in the shops. I was being dreadfully careful, but it still took only one slip......................

[attachment=27491:Tendons__004.jpg]

Six weeks after the Tendon and Nerve repair Op. :)

Oww! Bad slip! Hope that's mending well.
Anybody got a spare pair of chain-mail gauntlets?
Actually, Mithril might give an interesting playing tone too and also protect from any nickel allergies. :rolleyes:
Maybe we could start a sub-thread of the most inventive methods of self-protection? I just can't give up the power tools! :)

[quote name='hubrad' post='520714' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:24 PM']Oww! Bad slip! Hope that's mending well.
Anybody got a spare pair of chain-mail gauntlets?
Actually, Mithril might give an interesting playing tone too and also protect from any nickel allergies. :lol:
Maybe we could start a sub-thread of the most inventive methods of self-protection? I just can't give up the power tools! :)[/quote]

I use chain-mail gloves at work when using "the knife".
A Razor sharp knife powered by a 1/4 hp motor that cuts through stacks of the toughest materials.
The glove works because the links group together when struck, so the knife bounces off it. :rolleyes: