Why become a member? ×

How much is my Sandberg JM4 worth?

minty fresh death

Hi there, times are hard and it looks like I might have to sell my Sandberg, it's in perfect condition, quite literally not a single mark on it (those nicks on the pick-guard are just on the protective sticky plastic stuff, which i've since removed).

How much is it worth on the second hand market atm, they are quite rare in the U.K due to the strength of the Euro but they have won allot of awards?

Here's sine pic-age for those that haven't seen it before:

Edited by minty fresh death

in Italy you happen to see basses like yours for sale for about 800 euros or so. BUT: it looks like your bass has some significant upgrades (eg the finish), so it may be eligible for a place in a higher price region. nonetheless, I have no idea of how sandberg guitars are made available in the UK. In italy those are sold directly by the importer, and this allows for slightly lower price than most european megastores like thomann.

[quote name='biro' post='516250' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:09 AM']in Italy you happen to see basses like yours for sale for about 800 euros or so. BUT: it looks like your bass has some significant upgrades (eg the finish), so it may be eligible for a place in a higher price region. nonetheless, I have no idea of how sandberg guitars are made available in the UK. In italy those are sold directly by the importer, and this allows for slightly lower price than most european megastores like thomann.[/quote]

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='516255' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:15 AM']Probably around £650, although, I am not sure it will be the most popular finish.[/quote]

Yeah the bass cost me 1200.00 GBP new inc VAT, I ticketed all the upgrades appart from fret markers because I prefer it without (:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kongo' post='525063' date='Jun 26 2009, 05:40 PM']Finish a bit bright but I recon folks will dig it.[/quote]

It's a bit of an "Only a mother could love" finish. To be fair I've sprayed a couple of Fenders orange and made peanuts when I sold them on but the original colours were really dull.

Taste is an interesting thing.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='525743' date='Jun 27 2009, 10:00 AM']IMO the finish is the nicest thing about that bass.[/quote]

Yeah but you like guitars that look like passing space aliens sh*t them in through the music shop's chimney.

I'm not saying it's a bad finish, hard to tell what it really looks like in photos I bet. Just that it'd be easier to sell something more generic.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='526376' date='Jun 27 2009, 11:04 PM']Yeah but you like guitars that look like passing space aliens sh*t them in through the music shop's chimney.

I'm not saying it's a bad finish, hard to tell what it really looks like in photos I bet. Just that it'd be easier to sell something more generic.[/quote]

And you say that like it's a bad thing ;-)

I've seen a Sandberg with this finish in the flesh and it was almost nice enough for me to put up with the fact that ultimately it's a F-style bass.

[quote name='mike257' post='529644' date='Jul 1 2009, 03:08 PM']Haha, wise move, you know it makes sense!![/quote]

Do these sound anything like a Musicman Sterling? I have a sterling at the moment that sounds great, however I love the shape and feel of the Jazz style basses and I was thinking of getting one of these.

Thanks,

Ed

[quote name='Kaiu' post='529646' date='Jul 1 2009, 03:13 PM']Do these sound anything like a Musicman Sterling? I have a sterling at the moment that sounds great, however I love the shape and feel of the Jazz style basses and I was thinking of getting one of these.

Thanks,

Ed[/quote]

I haven't played a Sterling so I can't comment on that, but I did a/b it against my 3EQ Stingray. The Sandberg's MM pickup will do a pretty reasonable approximation of the Stingray, but it didn't have quite as much bite and balls. It was Stingray-lite, if you will, but still a good tone. This might be to do with the JM having a 2-band EQ, and my tendency to whack the mid up on my Stingray as much as anything else.

To be honest though, after using nothing but Stingray for about 4 years, I'm loving the neck pickup on the JM4. There just seems to be so much more depth to the bottom end when you blend it in. The bridge pick up hardly gets a look in these days!

[quote name='mike257' post='530695' date='Jul 2 2009, 02:57 PM']I haven't played a Sterling so I can't comment on that, but I did a/b it against my 3EQ Stingray. The Sandberg's MM pickup will do a pretty reasonable approximation of the Stingray, but it didn't have quite as much bite and balls. It was Stingray-lite, if you will, but still a good tone. This might be to do with the JM having a 2-band EQ, and my tendency to whack the mid up on my Stingray as much as anything else.

To be honest though, after using nothing but Stingray for about 4 years, I'm loving the neck pickup on the JM4. There just seems to be so much more depth to the bottom end when you blend it in. The bridge pick up hardly gets a look in these days![/quote]

Sounds promising! I guess a Sterling is a less ballsy version of the Stingray so they could be pretty similar. Might try and see if I can get one to try out at a gig.

Ed

[quote name='Kaiu' post='529646' date='Jul 1 2009, 03:13 PM']Do these sound anything like a Musicman Sterling? I have a sterling at the moment that sounds great, however I love the shape and feel of the Jazz style basses and I was thinking of getting one of these.

Thanks,

Ed[/quote]

Hi Ed,

If I remember correctly that particular Sterling (i.e. yours) was nice/hard and growly.
The double MM config I've got in my Sandy Basic 5 is a lot smoother and doesn't cut through in the same way, but there is a lot more depth to the sound. Switching to the neck humbucker only and rolling back the treble gives you even more sweetness/thump - more like a precision.

They are quite different, also the active 3 band pre isn't as obtrusive as in a MM plus you can go fully passive (though I don't think this is a plus in this particular bass because the active is sweet and not too in your face). Get to Electro and try one out - if Dave's still got some in.

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='533302' date='Jul 5 2009, 08:43 PM']Life has just served up another body-blow, looks like i'm going to have to sell it after all, a boy racer in a civic type r going far to fast went into me... knock for knock because it was in country lanes.

:)[/quote]

Surely it should be all on his insurance if he hit you?

[quote name='Buzz' post='533373' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:20 PM']Surely it should be all on his insurance if he hit you?[/quote]

Apparently not, single lane on the rise of a hill.

I am incandescent with rage, he hit me so hard it pushed my car backwards with the brakes on, his skid marks where immeasurably longer than mine... I really felt like bouncing his head off the bonnet when it happened and in retrospect I should have... at least I would have gotten some satisfaction out of it.